The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2011, 01:10 PM   #1
DarthNul

Lee Auto Disk powder measure - micro adjust insert problem

I've been using a Lee Pro 1000 for several months now and it's been working really well. It came with the fixed cavity disk type powder measure which has been very consistent with meter friendly powders.

The problem is with the fixed size cavities. Sometimes they force compromises that I'd rather not make. So I picked up the adjustable insert that should let me dial in the exact amount that I want, but the thing is 0.006" thicker than the disks. With the new insert installed it takes considerably more force to operate the measure. I've tried putting some shims in the measure but consistency suffered and powder leakage reached unacceptable levels.

So do I try to shave this thing down a bit, or send it back and hope the next one is sized better?

Is anybody using a different measure on a Pro 1000 (and happy with their results)?
Old June 1, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Eazmo

I am using the adjustable disk with my auto disk pro and it works great with no problems. I would call Lee and get there input on the 0.006 difference.

Let us know what they say.

I'm not sure if there is any other case activated measures that will work with Lee dies. but would like to know also
Old June 1, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Eazmo

I just checked mine against the disks i have and depending on what disk i check the adjustable one is 0.004 to 0.006 thicker also.

mine runs fine. the only thing i did was work in graphite for break-in and have been using the adjustable from day one.

there is allot of threads that talk about breaking in measures with mica but all i had was graphite so thats what i used
Old June 1, 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Lost Sheep

Two other solutions

1 Use a thinner shim

2 Get some extra fixed cavity disks, choose a cavity that is slightly too small and ream it out until you get the powder drop you want

I think, before I shaved the adjustable charge bar down, I would ask Lee about the thickness difference.

Thanks for asking our advice and good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old June 1, 2011, 11:51 PM   #5
DarthNul

I took a closer look at the adjustable insert too figure out where I might start shaving it down, and I found a couple of nibs on the bottom of the center piece. They look like flash from the ports where the resin was injected into the mold. They protrude more than 0.006, that's for sure. They lift the rear of the sliding piece which could explain the leakage.

I filed them off and the unit slides much better. It's still tighter than the fixed disks but not by much.

Looks like the problem may be solved. I'll test it out tomorrow to see if the leaks are gone, and to find out how consistently it drops compared to the disks.

Thanks for all your ideas!
Old June 2, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6
Idaho Spud

Loosening the hold down nuts a touch is what I do. What I mean is don't crank 'em down real hard. Works for me.
Old June 2, 2011, 01:55 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

Wrong move, I think

Quote:
DarthNul

I took a closer look at the adjustable insert too figure out where I might start shaving it down, and I found a couple of nibs on the bottom of the center piece. They look like flash from the ports where the resin was injected into the mold. They protrude more than 0.006, that's for sure. They lift the rear of the sliding piece which could explain the leakage.

I filed them off and the unit slides much better. It's still tighter than the fixed disks but not by much.

Looks like the problem may be solved. I'll test it out tomorrow to see if the leaks are gone, and to find out how consistently it drops compared to the disks.

Thanks for all your ideas!
I think those nibs are guide posts that engage slots in the body of the Auto-Disk. They keep the cavity of the disk or charge bar lined up with the powder hopper and the powder drop hole as if moves back and forth.

The actuating lever also helps keep the position and the die body itself, too.

If there is too much movement such that the cavity does not line up with the hole(s), your powder drops may not be consistent. Try testing the powder drops in a large number of circumstances and see how uniform they are.

If I am wrong about the nibs you cut off, forgive my alarming you. Were they about 1/8" long and 1/16" in diameter?

Sorry I cannot upload pictures right now.

Lost Sheep
Old June 2, 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
DarthNul

Not to worry Lost Sheep, I didn't file off the posts that ride in the grooves of the base. What I filed off was a couple of rough protrusions about 0.015 long that were at the back of the inner part of the insert (the part that moves very slightly when you turn the adjustment screw). I had applied graphite to the unit a while back in an attempt to make things smoother, and the nibs (now removed) had scraped away the graphite where they contacted the base leaving tracks.

The posts that engage the slots in the base of the measure are much bigger and are part of the main body of the adjustable insert.

It's still a little tighter than the disks but I don't feel like the soft plastic "wiper" is starting to turn inside out every time the thing cycles. The next challenge will be finding some time to test it out this weekend with the in-laws visiting and a high school graduation party (not mine ) going on here.