The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
TyCarp

Picking up brass

I, as a lot of you, don't shoot at a range just in the backyard. My backyard has grass. Brass in grass=lost. I was thinking of putting down an old bed sheet or tarp or something. What do some of yall do??
Old May 28, 2011, 12:58 PM   #2
willr

Some time ago there was a picture of a large net held by a frame of pvc. The intent was to catch ejected brass. This, together with the tarp you suggest might be what you want.

willr
Old May 28, 2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Civil War Life

Recently our range put up nets on each station. Boy are they great. All the brass is caught and I don't have to spend time picking brass out of the gravel or mud.
Old May 28, 2011, 02:37 PM   #4
CherokeeT

I have used a tarp but some autos will still sling the brass in different directions. I have used a net, it will work, placement and the gun's ejection pattern must be considered. I have found the net often has to be larger than you think. If there are a lot of people at the range, tarps become more difficult to use without encroching on the other shooters.
Old May 28, 2011, 05:06 PM   #5
lamarw

I think you should give it a try. Then instead of a range report, you can give us a yard report on how it works or what works best.

I do know shorter grass like zoysia helps but is not fool proof.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:00 PM   #6
highvel

When I shoot around the house, usually more than one gun is used and brass ends up all over the place.
I use my metal detector now and none of the cases get away, no matter how hard they try!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old May 28, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Bill65

I shoot in the woods, leaf liter is the worst I bought a 8 X 10 blue tarp, spread it out to the right rear and recovered 98 per cent of my brass. Before that, I was lucky to find 50 per cent of it. The tarp did a good job, but kind of a pain to place by yourself....
Old May 28, 2011, 07:54 PM   #8
Lemmon

I have a few pistols and a couple of rifles that plop the spent brass in one neat pile. My Ruger LCP throws them all over the place. My revolvers are alway very considerate. For my AR15 I use a brass catcher from this guy. It works really great. The website is:

http://www.elmfg.com/index.html

Lemmon
Old May 28, 2011, 08:37 PM   #9
troy_mclure

try the brass magnet, http://www.brassmagnet.com/page1.aspx

or the brass wizard, http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310

i have used both, i own a brass wizard. i wouldnt mind having a brass magnet tho.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 28, 2011, 09:40 PM   #10
357 Terms

+1 on the tarp. also at my buddies back acre's we just mow/kill everything at the range. The big tarp is still the best: other than our revolvers.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:21 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

Mow the lawn.
I'll have to check out that brass magnet. I don't believe there is such a thing.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:24 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

Quote:
TyCarp
Picking up brass
I, as a lot of you, don't shoot at a range just in the backyard. My backyard has grass. Brass in grass=lost. I was thinking of putting down an old bed sheet or tarp or something. What do some of yall do??
If it's grass and it's around your house, use a wet-vac. If it's dirt or sand, then you don't have a problem in the first place.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old May 29, 2011, 10:02 AM   #13
PawPaw

Or, there's the Brass Wizard. We used to use something like this for picking up pecans when we were harvesting for our own use.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 29, 2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Onward Allusion

^^^
That is ingenious!

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old May 29, 2011, 11:19 AM   #15
kraigwy

If you are lazy and wimpy like me, go to Wally World (or such store) and buy one of those awning tent thingies with nets all around. You shoot in the shade, out of the rain, and all your brass is kept in a 10 ft square (or what ever size you want.

Be sure to pick on big enough so you can shoot offhand.

Something like this guy:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5395U/...SIN=B000N5395U
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 29, 2011, 11:41 AM   #16
SDC

It depends on what calibres/gauges you're shooting, and how much you want to spend. One interesting thing I've seen for this is the "Ammo-Up", which uses plastic wheels to grab onto the empties and rotate them into a hopper, like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8rzT2CnLlA This won't work on rimfire brass, but if I had to maintain a trap or skeet field, it would be on my buy list.
Old May 29, 2011, 11:42 PM   #17
praetorian97

Worst for finding brass is when you are running moving exercises to try and find brass. Or when you load random rounds for mag change drills.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:56 PM   #18
jmorris

Getting out of grass or cracks? A tarp, fish sein or other device is great if they are landing in one spot. If they are all over take a look at this link.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...ight=brass+vac
Old May 31, 2011, 12:20 AM   #19
zombie666

Had a friend who was going to use a cheap plastic tarp to catch his brass. The result was a tarp with a lot of little holes burned in it. Just something to think about when you plan what to catch the brass with.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:45 AM   #20
Lost Sheep

Cardboard refrigerator box

Get a cardboard refrigerator box. Cut a door in the back side and a window in the front side. Step inside and close the door. Shoot out the window with the gun inside the box.

If your arms are too long, put the box laying down and raise it up high enough to clear your head. The brass won't be contained inside the box, but at least it will be near your feet.

Or, if your arms are too long, make the back door a window and shoot through both windows.

Can't do this at a range or the rangemaster or other shooters would probably get nervous, as they will not be able to see you (nor can you see them).

I've been working on this question for some time. Maybe some day I will come up with a universally satisfactory solution.

THEN I'LL BE RICH! (If not through marketing it, then in brass, at least)

Lost Sheep
Old May 31, 2011, 03:47 AM   #21
Lost Sheep

Not to mention

Quote:
Had a friend who was going to use a cheap plastic tarp to catch his brass. The result was a tarp with a lot of little holes burned in it. Just something to think about when you plan what to catch the brass with.
Not to mention plastic melted onto his brass and casings stuck to the tarp.

Lost Sheep
Old May 31, 2011, 09:13 AM   #22
praetorian97

I like the idea of a pop up canopy such as -

And putting up a side wall for the brass to bounce off of.
Old June 2, 2011, 01:07 AM   #23
1SOW

A guy at the range made a pistol case trap. He used some of that 'weed screen' for flower beds and three of those small pop-up tent poles. It made a 'wall' about 4' tall 4' long. He carried it rolled up in one hand and sets it up in less than a minute.
It worked.
Old June 2, 2011, 09:50 AM   #24
CPTMurdoc30

get a nut wizzard.

http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CLvM...FQKI5godFA1euw
Old June 2, 2011, 11:34 AM   #25
troy_mclure

the nut wizard wont pick up pistol brass smaller than .45acp. the brass wizard is the same price and it will pick up even .25acp.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."