The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1
joneb

12ga slugs for a rifled bore ?

I have a Win. 1300 defender, I bought a rifled barrel for $50, this barrel is for the Win. 1300 sport something ? Well I made a adapter to use the slug barrel on the defender and now I want to find a lead ball or slug I can shoot though it. I am stumped on this and would greatly appreciate some insight.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:38 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Sounds like a cool project. If you're thinking about a sabot slug you'll need to figure out how to make the sabot too. Guessing you're wanting a full caliber slug. That would require some type of special wad as well. I'm hoping someone makes a mould.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:23 PM   #3
jmortimer

I believe that a .500" bullet will fit right into a "sabot". Something heavy for a 500 S&W should work. Check out Ballistic Products for more convential slugs. Lee Precision and Lyman make molds if you cast and the 525 grain Lyman slug is a winner. Here is link for sabot from Ballistic Broducts
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/RSS...ctinfo/322RSS/

Last edited by jmortimer; May 25, 2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:09 AM   #4
joneb

Quote:
Guessing you're wanting a full caliber slug.
I'd like that, the groove diameter measures .7285". Could I cast a .730" ball and launch those ?

Does anyone know what diameter these slugs would be ? http://leeprecision.com/xcart/1-OZ-SLUG-MOLD.html or does it matter ? I would think there would be a good bit of obturation with a hollow base slug ? Not sure about the drive key thing
Old May 26, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
TXGunNut

I'd like that, the groove diameter measures .7285". Could I cast a .730" ball and launch those ? -jibjab

I like the way you think. I'm just hoping someone who's tried something like this before will drop by with something more helpful, like powder, wad, filler and crimp suggestions. I was hoping for maybe a mould for a Brenneke slug without the fins, sources for a simple cork wad...
Old May 29, 2011, 01:26 AM   #6
joneb

Though I have not given up on the .730 dia ball idea I am concerned that the 1:35" twist barrel maybe a bit fast for a round ball ?
I can easily cast lead cylinders to any diameter and length so where do I find the sabot cup casings ?
Old May 29, 2011, 05:43 AM   #7
snuffy

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/RSS...ctinfo/322RSS/

The first link is to the BP site, the second is to their new sabot. I say new because their first attempt was a failure. It had a collapsible cushion section in it, like a target plastic wad. It failed to stand up to the pressures generated by sabot slug loads.

I spent a lot of money and a lot of time trying to get that sabot load to shoot. Pretty close to a grand! (New rifled barrel, shotgun scope, drill press and hull vise for roll crimping, components------,well you get the picture.

As for the lee slug MOLD, it is made to fit inside a normal trap/target wad. You have to be set-up to cast lead boolits, then you can make the key drive slug.

It's called the key drive because it has a rib across the bottom of the hollow base to grip the plastic wad that's carrying it. It will work in smooth bore shottys, and behaves like a sabot in rifled barrels. I have both molds, 7/8 and 1 ounce versions. I plan on spending some time this summer to see which one is best.

As for driving a round ball down a rifled barrel, I would advise against that. You would experience horrible leading. So bad that you would NOT see any accuracy. Also the composite wads needed for a round ball load are available at BP, look around at the first link above. You'd need some sort of over powder wad, and some fiber cushion wads. If some way could be found to lubricate the ball, you might get away with it.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 29, 2011, 06:47 PM   #8
TXGunNut

I really like the Lee system, Snuffy. What alloys are you using? Looks like a cool project. May need to put that on my project list.
Wanna melt some lead, jibjab? Sorry about the hijack but you've got a great project idea here.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:42 PM   #9
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I have messed around with the lee slug and found it hard to beat factory loads. Fun plinkers, but not as accurate as i would like for hunting. I even tried the round ball loads too. Experimented quite a bit with "donut" wads I made to hold the ball in the center of the wad. I had OK accuracy. I soon gave up on seeking high accuracy in shotgun slugs.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 29, 2011, 10:56 PM   #10
joneb

Thanks for the link snuffy, the RSS 12 looks good but the diameter is .712" and the groove dia. of my barrel is .7285" is this a problem ?

Quote:
Sorry about the hijack
No problemo
Old May 30, 2011, 02:41 PM   #11
zippy13

Have you considered all-brass hulls/cases and paper patched bullets?
Old May 30, 2011, 03:08 PM   #12
joneb

Quote:
Have you considered all-brass hulls/cases and paper patched bullets?
That would be nice but the setup cost would not be so nice.