The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2011, 11:59 AM   #1
poline

Catching spent primers, on the Lee Turret Press?

Looking for any suggestions, that the forum, has for catching spent primers on this Press. Thanks in advance!
Old May 22, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Get a portable press stand and one of those vacuum-formed small children's wading pools and set the press stand and your stool inside the pool.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old May 22, 2011, 12:25 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
Catching spent primers, on the Lee Turret Press?
Looking for any suggestions, that the forum, has for catching spent primers on this Press. Thanks in advance!
You MUST be talking about the lee deluxe turret. The classic doesn't have that problem. Even IF you DO find a way to make them go where they're supposed to go, you have to dis-mount the press to empty them.

Good one Nick! That's about the ONLY way to control them, but that's not what could be called control, just dealing with them.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old June 1, 2011, 12:51 AM   #4
Howdy

What I did....

I have two Lee pro 1000 AND a Lee turret. For the 1000's I got tired of removing the press to empty the primers so I drilled a 3/4 inch hole in the workbench centered (approx.) under the press to allow spent primers to fall through. Under the bench I stapled the bottom of a two litre soda bottle. Cut the bottom about 1 1/2 to 2 inches high except keep about a 3 inch span about 3 inches high to staple through AND act as a hinge to allow lowering "catch pan" to empty. WORKS GREAT!!

For the turret press I did the same thing to the work bench but needed to find a way to guide the primers through the press instead of "all over the county".

I can't do pictures so will do my best to describe what I did.

I made a one piece shield from a flattened piece of aluminum from a soda can. I developed the pattern with a plain piece of paper by bending, trimming and taping until I had a good fit. Then flattened the pattern and transfered it to the alum then bent the alum to match the pattern. It is held in place by gravity and a good fit, does not interfere with the ram, and can be removed when the ram is raised.

Works perfect and has only missed about three primers since I made it (thousands of reloads). It works great only if the priming arm is in the ram. Now if I could figure out a way to keep the priming arm from falling out once in a while.
Old June 1, 2011, 07:40 PM   #5
5R milspec

drill a 2" hole in the center of the press' layout in the bench top.then get a 2" threaded pipe flange to mount under the bench over the hole you cut out.now use either metal or PVC pipe to make a cup.then you can screw it on and off to keep from haveing all the pain.
Old June 2, 2011, 12:39 AM   #6
1SOW

I have the same press and have made 3 different 'fixes.

1. I made a copper bin that caught the primers as they were being deprimed. It worked well if you deprimed in bulk
2.. I raised my press with a 4" thick wooden block and cut a 'funnel-shaped' hole under the press that fed out the front of the block into a catch. It worked well.
3. I found an old used Lyman turret press, that I now deprime (only) all my cases on the patio table. I use this after I get home from the range, before I tumble the brass. It works very well, but I intend to get another LEE deprimer-sizer for that press too.
Old June 2, 2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Howdy

EASY FIX

I have not been able to put any pictures on this post but I do have a WORD DOCUMENT which includes pictures of the part, and on the press as well as a rough drawing. I can email this as an attachment to anyone who wants it if you will give me your email address. See my above post for some info.

Thanks.
Old June 2, 2011, 01:31 PM   #8
Howdy

Need help with pictures

I have uploaded my pictures to this sight but for the life of me, I cannot discover how to put them in this thread.

I read the FAQ and tried repeatedly to post them ... no success.

Can anybody help a computer challenged old man?

Howdy
Old June 2, 2011, 02:09 PM   #9
engineermike

Yea, its hard to post on here. Or I have trouble too I've read the instructions and still have trouble. Any one got a power point or more entailed instructions (Written) I'm old, I need pictures...

Let me see, I need pictures to post pictures? Some one help..

(I know off topic)
Old June 2, 2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Howdy and Mike,

Try following my method posted at the Shooter's forum, which is also using V-bulletin forum software.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old June 2, 2011, 07:28 PM   #11
okbob51

Ahhhhh, the Lee Turret Press spent primer issue. I tried the giant newspaper funnels and the cardboard and tape flanges and still picked em up off the carpet.

The spent primer issue is the #1 reason that I now use the Forster Co-Ax. Other than that the Lee turret worked just fine.
Old June 2, 2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Howdy

I am really dumb

I checked the instructions at "MY METHOD POSTED" and I can't even find the "GO ADVANCED" button. What is wrong with me?

It is very frustrating because I have a easy solution that eliminates press removal to empty the primers AND directs spent primers through the turrett press.

I feel really stupid.....

Howdy
Old June 2, 2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Howdy

Lost my attachments.......

The attachments that I uploaded (pictures) that used to be located in my users control panel are no longer there?

I can send everything to anyone who wants it but I need email addresses.

Send your email request to me at

lonnydk at gmail dot com

and I will reply with attachments

If you can open a WORD document, let me know in the email request and it will be only one attachment.

Thanks
Old June 2, 2011, 11:34 PM   #14
Vance

Howdy sent me the pictures and I told him I would post them. Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primer stop 1 sm.jpg (39.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Primer stop dwg.jpg (24.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Primer stop only sm.jpg (33.6 KB, 118 views)
Old June 2, 2011, 11:35 PM   #15
Vance

And the last two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Primer stop ram down sm.jpg (39.1 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Under bench sm.JPG (36.8 KB, 110 views)
Old June 3, 2011, 12:21 AM   #16
lamarw

I guess better than my method of just sleeping the floor.
Old June 3, 2011, 12:22 AM   #17
Howdy

Thank you Vance.

How can it be so easy for the smart ones and SOOOOO difficult for the rest of us.

Thanks again and I hope these pics help somebody. This sure made my life with the turret a pleasure.

Howdy

PS: After I used the first one I made for a while, I replaced it with one made from aluminum guttering material. It requires tin snips instead of scissors but holds it's shape/place much better.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:23 PM   #18
engineermike

What so you wanna bet that Lee has one just like it in a few months?
Old June 4, 2011, 10:48 AM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Howdy,

This forum's version of V-bulletin doesn't have the Quick Reply window, so you just skip the Go Advanced step. Advanced is already all there is. Sorry, I should have caught that for you.

You just click on Post Reply, then scroll down until you get the Additional Options window just below the composition window. The second outlined rectangle under the Miscellaneous Options block has the button called Manage Attachments. The rest of the instructions apply.

Attached Images
File Type: gif Scroll to Manage.gif (31.1 KB, 221 views)
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by Unclenick; June 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old June 4, 2011, 05:43 PM   #20
Howdy

I think this will work this time. I have received a LOT of help and want to thank you all for that and your patience.

This picture has nothing to do with this thread, it is just one of my pets. (testing)
Howdy
P1010003 EMAIL.jpg

IT WORKED!!!