The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Str8himalaya

Glock 23 vs. Glock 19

Hello,

I am curious to see what the reaction is between said guns. I just test shot both guns, and the recoil for me personally is better on the glock 19 and i was a bit more accurate, but, the glock 23 is the first .40 ive ever shot, and it was the first gun i shot of the group of 3 during my time at the range, so i was a little rusty. My question is, in your opinion, will i get better at controlling the recoil on the 23? I am really torn on whether or not to go with the glock 19 or 23. I have a really good offer on a 23 right now, but am just not sure. Thanks for any help that you all may be able to offer.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:34 AM   #2
warpig602

19 is the better platform. Its THE Glock of Glocks.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Smaug

I have been shooting 9mm and 45 ACP for years now. (also .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, 380 ACP) Even with a lot of experience, the 9mm is simply easier to shoot well. Follow-up shots are twice as quick. In a full size pistol like my Hi-Power, it is especially noticeable how easy it is to shoot well.

9mm, with good ammo, has been shown to be an effective round.

380 out of a subcompact gun like my Bersa 380 feels the same as 9mm out of a compact gun like the Glock 19.

I'd go with the 19.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:55 AM   #4
Stangcharger

You shot both. Which one did you honestly feel you liked better?

Both rounds are effective. The .40 is a nice medium between the .45 and the 9mm. Most .40cal firearms are just barely a lower capacity in the same size gun in the 9mm. Bigger round and more velocity if kept consistent will be a very effective round.
Old May 21, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5
ranburr

Glocks work best in 9mm. The only Glocks you see issues with are the .40s. The .40s are the worst recoiling pistols that I have ever shot.
Old May 21, 2011, 12:09 PM   #6
ksblazer

I had the same delima for my first Glock purchase. Went with the G23. I felt it was a little more versitile. I can drop a .357 Sig (don't have one yet) or a 9mm barrell in and shoot those calibers as well.

IMO the 9mm does have a little less recoil. But after you get used to the .40 it's not that big of deal.
Old May 21, 2011, 01:16 PM   #7
dsk

For a brief time I owned both. I say "brief" because the Glock 23 torqued quite a bit in my hands when I shot it, and my ability to shoot fast, accurate repeat shots was noticeably less than what I could do with the Glock 19. I sold the G23 not long afterwards and haven't bothered with the .40 since. With decent ammo you're about as well-armed using a Glock 19 as you can be with a handgun.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:09 PM   #8
blakdawg

.40 S&W will always be tougher to shoot versus 9mm in the same size/weight firearm due to the .40's greater energy. No way around that.

I personally think that improvements in JHP's over the past 10-15 years have brought the 9mm rounds up to where they perform like a .40 or a .45. 9mm firearms usually have larger magazines and are easier to shoot than .40's.

So I vote for the 19 over the 23.

On the other hand, I have a 23 Gen 2, like it a lot, and think it's a great gun. So either alternative is a reasonable one in my book.
Old May 21, 2011, 03:02 PM   #9
barefoot

Dude, you really can't go wrong either way - pick the one that feels best to you.
I have both 19 and 23 (+ a 26 and 27) and I barely notice a difference in recoil between the 9's and the .40's
Old May 21, 2011, 03:14 PM   #10
RUT

If I was going to get just one I'd start with the 19. You can always get a 23 somewhere down the road. (I've got 'em both btw)
Old May 21, 2011, 03:19 PM   #11
sigxder

I decided to simplify life a couple of years ago. I switched to 9mm and .45 almost exclusively. I don't see anything these newer calibers d any better than the tried and true 100+ year old calibers listed. Got a .380, .38, and a couple of customized .40's I just couldn't let go of. But for one of the .40's I have a 9mm for practice. Having said all that with good JHP's my G19 is everybit as effective as the 23. Has more rounds, lower recoil, cheaper practice rounds, and can be found anywhere in the world. G19 for me hands down.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:07 PM   #12
Rob96

I used to have all kinds of guns and realized I can't take them all with me, whether I die or I have to bug out. Plus maintaining the ammo for the assortment was annoyance. I have since dropped down to a G19 and a J-frame. Would like to get one more G19 as a back up. After a few pistols in 40 S&W I came to believe that that cartridge was an answer to a question that was never asked.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Smaug

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdawg
I personally think that improvements in JHP's over the past 10-15 years have brought the 9mm rounds up to where they perform like a .40 or a .45.
...except that they have improved bullets for .40 and .45 also.

Maybe they perform like .40 or .45 from 10 years ago.

But I agree in principle; they're good enough.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:11 PM   #14
BigBearCarolina

I carry and shoot a G23 on a regular basis, and love the gun. I don't consider the recoil bothersome and my 18 yr old daughter also likes to shoot it on our trips to the range. With practice I'm sure you would find that you are just as accurate with it as the G19. Most importantly, it is the one I chose and spent my money on, so it must be the best choice.

Seriously, I think that either will serve you well, and you should pick the one that you liked the best. Practice with that one, and you will be in good shape. Best of luck, and be safe.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:03 PM   #15
7jinxed7

I haven't shot a G19 but i own a G23. I got use to the recoil,it's actually what i learned to shoot with. I can double tap fine once i got use to it. One handed shooting is another story, for me anyway. I can shoot one handed ok but no quick fire one handed. I would like to have the G19 for the lower recoil.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Zooky the Bear

The G23 takes some getting used to. I went through a few boxes of ammo before I was able to place my shots exactly where I wanted to and retain a decent speed.

While the 9mm is effective and permits greater shooting speed due to less recoil, I would still recommend the G23 over the G19 because:

1. training and mastering a pistol that is harder to control will vastly improve your efficiency with those that are easier to shoot.

and

2. you can get barrel conversion kits (9mm, .357) from companies like Lone Wolf. Drop $99 on one, get a few G19 mags, and you essentially have 2 pistols in one. Best of both worlds.
Old May 21, 2011, 11:41 PM   #17
Str8himalaya

I was thinking the same thing about the barrel conversion. I was thinking if all else fails i could run 9mm if i truly wanted to or for practice. I found a glock 23 for $359.00 with no box and one magazine from a gun store. I feel like that is a pretty decent price, am i correct?
Old May 21, 2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Shrek303

I did the same as zooky the bear... I train with 9mm then carry with 40 ... I I also use the conversion barrel with my g27.. My vote g23
Old May 22, 2011, 06:37 AM   #19
dwhite

Go rent one of each. Fire 100 rounds through each and see what works best for you. Better still, rent each one twice in separate sessions a week apart and do 50 rounds each time. This way you'll be fresh at each session and won't suffer from fatigue.

I've got a G22. I like .40. Is it better than 9mm? It's really probably a wash.

I've shot a lot of .357 Magnum over the years so to me the .40 recoil isn't a problem.

You have to pick what works for you though.

All the Best,
D. White
Old May 22, 2011, 10:26 AM   #20
Constantine

Ones a .40 and ones a 9mm.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old May 22, 2011, 03:50 PM   #21
Daryl

Quote:
Glocks work best in 9mm. The only Glocks you see issues with are the .40s. The .40s are the worst recoiling pistols that I have ever shot.
Recoil is a matter of perspective. If that's the most powerful handgun you've shot, then it's going to be the one with the most recoil.

Not sure about Glocks in 9mm workinig best. I'm on my second in .40 with no problems at all.

But to the OP:
In all honesty, choose the one you like shooting best. The .40 does recoil a bit more, but you'll get used to it so that you don't really notice if you practice.

I had to mostly stop shooting for a while (several months) due to health issues. I had to do some chemo treatments, and it really sapped my strength. Once those were over I started shooting again. At first, the .40 seemed obnoxious. I'd lost strength in my hands and arms, and am still gaining it back.

After a few hundred rounds through the .40, I didn't notice it as much. The more I shoot, the better it gets. Follow-up shots are getting faster by the day, and my hand/eye coordination is improving quickly. I shot about 50 rounds out back today through my G23, and a hundred or so yesterday; they didn't bother me at all, and my shooting was very accurate.

In just a couple of weeks, I've gone from shooting fairly poorly in comparison to how I used to shoot, to shooting nearly as good as I ever was.

All it takes is focused practice.

Again, buy what you want, and then learn to shoot it well.

As a side note: if I only wanted or needed a handgun for social purposes, I'd likely carry a 9mm. As someone above said, "it's good enough". On any given day, my carry gun might be used on a coyote, ground hog, or any number of other things that might come up. Because I don't usually know in advance what I might need it for, I like something with a bit more "thump" than the 9mm offers. The .40 S&W works pretty well for me, and has for many years.

Decide what will work for you, and learn to shoot it well.

Daryl
Old May 22, 2011, 04:03 PM   #22
LockedBreech

I have to laugh when people say the .40 was "an answer to an unasked question" or the like. Economics 101. If it didn't have a market niche, it would have near-died like the .41 magnum or .45GAP, rather than generating the billions in sales it has. As for its relative youth (though 21 years is not that fresh of a babe), older does not mean better. Horses are older than cars. Bloodletting is older than internal medicine.

Both of these guns are really, really good. Personally I find the .40 recoil laughable next to other calibers I have shot, but if it hurts your confidence or ability with the weapon, by all means get the univerally acclaimed G19 Can't go wrong.
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W | Beretta 92FS 9x19 Para | Rock Island Armory GI 1911 .45 ACP | Colt Python 4" .357 Magnum | Colt 1968 Det. Spec. .38 Spc. | Ruger LCP .380 ACP | Daniel Defense M4V1 5.56x45 | Alpine M1 Carbine .30 | Steyr M1895 8x56 | Ruger 10/22 .22LR |1943 Izhevsk Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62x54R | Remington 870 12GA
Old May 22, 2011, 04:14 PM   #23
ligonierbill

What I find interesting about this thread is that so many shooters strongly favor the .45 ACP. It's a handful, but many think there is no more effective SD round. The .40 S&W actually has similar ballistics with some loads. I shoot the Glock 23 without issue, although I [U]always[U] need more practice. All that said, it is "rounds on target" that counts. If you shoot it well, stay with it.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:39 PM   #24
Don Glock

if it's for just target plinking, go for the 9mm. cheaper to shoot.

if you don't mind the 40cal's recoil (it does bother some folks), i'd go that route for defense.
Old May 22, 2011, 04:39 PM   #25
Str8himalaya

Here is an update. I just got back from the range of shooting the same sequence of guns. Started with a glock 19 and shot 50 rounds through it. Then a springfield XD 9, shot 50 rounds through it as well, which i loved the trigger on BTW. Then shot 50 rounds out of the glock 23. Out of the three, i shot tigher groups with the 23, and i felt MUCH more comfortable shooting it this time then i did the first time, which was my first time shooting a .40. I feel like it maybe the best gun to go with in the glock, and then maybe look into the XD for a 9MM later down the road since i really did like it as well (just not as much as the glock 23). A follow-up question would be, is $359.00 for the glock 23 3rd gen, used of course, a good price? It comes with no box and one magazine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, i greatly appreciate all the posts so far!