The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 19, 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
Gunner Smith

S&W Model 65-2 Barrel Question

Picked up my first revolver today. A nice 65-2 with a 4" barrel. I checked it out in the store and the cylinder was tight and looked good. I was between this one a a similar condition 65-3 that was the same price but went with this one since it had the pinned barrel and recessed chambers.

I was just going over the gun and noticed a small indention or recessed area inside the barrel. It is just inside the tip of the barrel and directly underneath the front site. I have never seen this before on any gun I have owned. Did not notice it at the store but is this normal and what is it for? Thanks!
Old May 20, 2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Gunner Smith

Anyone have any info on the little indention in the barrel under the front site? Just want to make sure this is normal for this model. thanks
Old May 20, 2011, 09:26 AM   #3
carguychris

Pictures would be very helpful.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Gunner Smith

I tried taking a few pics but they did not come out well. I will try again later.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Does the indentation interrupt the rifling? Can you feel a bulge of any sort from the outside?

That's not normal, and it sounds like the result of a squib load.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:55 AM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
I tried taking a few pics but they did not come out well. I will try again later.
Use lots of light and make sure you have your macro setting ON to get good results with close-ups.
Old May 23, 2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Gunner Smith

Update. I knew something was not right and took the gun back the next day. Gunsmith examined it and said it was indeed a small piece of the barrel missing underneath the front site! It was hard to notice since it was in the rifling. He said likely from the result of someone adjusting the front site which weakened the area underneath. In any event they apologized and exchanged for the model 65-3 that I was looking at originally. Even though it is not pinned/recessed, I liked it better from the get go and was in excellent condition. All in all a good learning experience for me on revolvers!

I know it is normal for the firing pin on the hammer to have a little up and down play but how about side to side? Mine wiggles just a little bit up and down and side to side.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:17 PM   #8
mrbro

Commendable. A lot of stores would not have done that with a used gun.
Old May 23, 2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Gunner Smith

I agree. It was a new shop for me, and I was not sure what to expect with them. They were a small town mom and pop joint. I was expecting the worse, but no questions or hassle and they exchanged it out.
Old June 6, 2011, 07:45 PM   #10
JBelk

The dimple hurts nothing. It's the bottom of the front sight socket. That socket has a pellet of solder inserted, then the sight is pressed in an the barrel and induction heated to melt the solder. In some runs, half the guns will show a dimple or even a small hole. I think it was the M10-6 that had the hole as 'standard'.
In any event, you got a nice gun and somebody else will have one too.