The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Nordeste

How many of you own a Star pistol?

I made a forum search looking for threads about Star models and I am gratefully surprised that they have a quite good reputation amongst the American public.

I had two as my service guns. A BM and later a 30M. The BM was kind of a Volkswagen gun. Simple, reliable, fairly accurate for her age, but those we had at the time had been in the service too long and sometimes we had issues with the case extractors and had jammings. The 30M was just sweet. Not a single issue even after firing boxes and boxes of ammo and not cleaning it on purpose, just to find out where the limit was. It felt heavy, but those who range tested it (including british and american fellows) always had a very good feeling with her in hands, and personally, I preferred and performed better with my 30M than with my current 92FS. Shame that the Star company is not there any longer, but if I happen to come across one of our old 30M units (provided that it's in decent shape) I'd definitely get it for range use.

Would love to know how many of you own one of our extinct Stars.

Best regards.
Old May 18, 2011, 07:53 AM   #2
lee n. field

I picked up a Firestar around Christmastime last year, in trade from another TFL member.

Tiny. Heavy. Seems nicely made. I haven't had it out enough to get used to it, yet.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 18, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
xdshooter

My cousin owns a Star BM model. I don't think he ever had a problem with it, but then i don't think he shoots it but maybe once a month. I have fondled the Star as well. I liked the grips and pointability of it, just not the weight. You would think a fullsize would weigh more than that.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:08 AM   #4

Back in the day, I owned a BKS Starlite. It was a great 9mm light weight pistol. Ideal for carry but not as concealable as I liked. So, I bought a Star PD in .45 ACP. Great for concealed carry and I used it for an off-duty gun for years. Since it was so light, it really was a bear to put a box of ammo through. I still have it.

"The gun you shoot a little and carry a lot." (Jeff Cooper)
Old May 18, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Laserlips

FWIW:

Had a BM....

Loved it.. But "spare parts" were iffy, and it was too heavy for me for cc duty as I had better choices that were lighter, with a higher capacity.

I'd buy another if one came along at a reasonable price, but it would just be used as a "casual pleasure plinker"..

I'm guessing a nice BM now would cost about as much as my Ruger LC9 ($365), and if I had another $365.00 with the choice of buying a "casual pleasure plinker" in the neat little BM or another LC9 I'd buy another Ruger..

But, I liked the little sucker.. It felt great in the hand, and my BM was surprisingly accurate and reliable..

Jesse
Old May 18, 2011, 08:19 AM   #6
zombieslayer

I don't yet, but I'm always on the prowl for a clean model B.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:22 AM   #7
AK103K

I had a "P" (.45acp) back in the 70's, as well as a couple of 9mm Firestars in the 90's. All were good guns. Parts, including mags and grips, for the "P" were about impossible to find, and one of the reasons I let it go. Nothing wrong with the Firestars, just moved on to other things, and they helped finance them when I sold them.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:23 AM   #8
fastlead

My brother has a firestar in 40 cal. I have had a PD for about 25 or30 years. Love that thing! Never had a malfunction yet. Have put about 700 or more rounds through it. Shoots 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 25 yards off of bags. Never had a thing done to it. Even came in second with it, at a bowling pin match. Great to carry. Use Jackass rig with double mag. pouch. Have one mag. extension and that sure helps when shooting full house loads...John
Old May 18, 2011, 08:24 AM   #9
BlueTrain

I had three or four back in the day. My favorite was a BKM. It was supposedly one of the last new ones that the importer, Interams, had in stock. I bought it from Potomac Arms, just a few doors down the street. I shot it until some parts started to loosen. However, I thought it was the perfect size and weight and I wish Colt had made one just like it. Later I had a BK. Earlier, I had a .22 and two different .380s. Some broke on two of the three but they still worked just fine. Again, no one else made anything just like them until Colt started making the Government .380 Model. I had several of those, too.

Why are none of those still being made, I keep wondering?
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 18, 2011, 08:53 AM   #10
CherokeeT

I have a Star D, the 380 1911 style. Had it for 40+ years and its a great little gun. Bought some extra parts & mags when Iver Johnson was making them as their "Pony". I'm set for a long time.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Amin Parker

Iv owned a 30m for many years and have been very happy with it. Its a solid, reliable 9mm pistol that will serve anyone well.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:21 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

I have 2 DKs, 2 PDs, an A Super, a BM, An HK "Lancer" .22, and a BKM.
I love Stars.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:22 AM   #13
stoney64

I had one, the BM, traded it off and wish I hadn't. It shot nice, felt good in my hand and never gave me a problem. Supposedly, dry firing is a no-no and parts are getting scarce but if I come across another one I'm gonna snatch it up.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Que

I have a Star 30M and it's an excellent pistol. With the full length rails it's very accurate and 100% relaible. It's built like a tank. It's one of my favorites.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:42 AM   #15
Quentin2

I still have my Star PD 45 ACP. Think I got it in 1982. Don't use it much anymore since it really pounds you and I did break the firing pin (a weakness in this model). Since it's an orphan I had to get a firing pin fabricated and now the PD gets limited use.

A buddy had a big Star 45 that worked very well. I also have a Llama .45, another Spanish orphan.
Old May 18, 2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Nordeste

I don't know about the availability of Star spares after the factory broke. I guess there is still access to some, since the Firestars are still in use in my department by supervisors. I'll make the question to our gunsmith and come back with the reply.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:00 AM   #17
moxie

Love my Star PD. Bought it used in 1989 and have put over 10k rounds (including many +P) through it. A real gem!

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old May 18, 2011, 10:08 AM   #18
WIL TERRY

STARS were world class pistols. I have had them in 45ACP, 38SUP, 380ACP, and 22LR. I still own the 22, an FR, and the 380, an SS, and they all have been superb pistols.
The 38ACP/SUP [ a STAR SUPER MODEL] I owned was an adjustable sight target pistol with a never changing 1 1/2 pound trigger. It would shoot nearly any appropriate load into 5-shot one hole groups at 25 yards. I must have been outta my mind the day I sold this one....or I was drunk....yeah that's it, I was drunk....it sounds better than being nuts enough to sell such a fine irreplaceable pistol !!!
The STAR FR 22 pistol has over 7000 rounds through it as we speak but I've not shot it in decades, maybe going back to the '70's.
The STAR SS 380 is STARVEL finished and also shoots like a million bucks but the front sight is too low and the pistol hits dead on the money a bit past 100yards. Some years back I took it to WHITTINGTON and used it to knock the sillywet field pistol targets down at 75 and 100 yards slick as you please. These STAR 380 pistols, a locked breech design, may be the finest 380 pistol in the history of the world.
And so it goes...
Old May 18, 2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Nordeste

Just made a quick search on a couple of spanish firearms forums. Looks like some spare parts could be available here:

http://www.iparguns.com/ing/
Old May 18, 2011, 02:22 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

There is a gentleman named Jorge, in Spain, who acquired most of the Star factory's parts. He sells them as a hobby.
He can be found here: http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...&s=&daysprune=
Old May 18, 2011, 05:11 PM   #21
Daryl

I had a Firestar in .40 S&W, but sold it shortly after Star went out of business. Parts were hard to find, and I'd rather not have a semi-auto I can't get parts for.

It was a great gun though. I shot a few javalinas during hunts in Arizona with it, and it shot very accurately.

Had Star stayed in business, I'd probably still be shooting it.

Daryl
Old May 18, 2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Bill DeShivs

I don't understand the whole "parts" thing. Any small parts are easily made by a competent gunsmith, springs are available, as are grips and magazines. It's not likely you will shoot a barrel out.
What, exactly, parts would you need?
Old May 18, 2011, 07:31 PM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

I had a Star PD for a few months, back in the 80s. Nice gun. Wound up trading it for a stainless Mini 14 with a folding stock! Still got the mini!

Had a couple of Llamas, one auto, one revolver. Won't own one ever again!
Old May 18, 2011, 08:43 PM   #24
kerreckt

Firestar M40

I have a Firestar in 40 cal. Chambers and fires everything I have put in it. This includes plenty of handloads. I think it is an excellent pistol. Very nice trigger pull out of the box. All steel a little on the heavy side but I prefer that to a plastic gun. Now looking for one in 9mm.
Old May 19, 2011, 02:28 AM   #25
ranburr

Super Modelo, BM, and a .380