The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2011, 06:33 PM   #1
nickelanddime

Shotshells in a 22 semi auto pistol?

I have a colt woodsman 22 and I was wondering if I can safely (for me and the gun) use .22 shotshells in it. This may sound ridiculous, but my house is being attacked by big wood boring bees, and they're resistant to sprays and rakes and so forth. Yah. Huntin bees. That's right.

While I'm on here, I'd like to give props to federal's automatch ammo. I had constant jamming problems with my old colt and tried many makes of .22lr. I got the automatch and now, 1500 rounds later, its not jammed once.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Opinated

Never tried it myself. I do not know how it could damage your pistol. Probably the action would not operate automatically, but that is not a concern in this instance. If you try it, please let us know all the results. I use my firearms for pest control frequently. Hopefully the moderators will not come down on me too heavily for telling you more about the boring bees. The ones that zoom around threateningly are the males- looking for action. They cannot sting. Females can sting, but do not waste time threatening. They work. They reliably return to the hole just about Sunset. Quick shots will be necessary.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:20 PM   #3
cornbush

You can shoot 'em just fine, but you will probably have to cycle the action manually for each shot. Most guns wont function properly with the shotshells, but if you manually rack the slide you're in business.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:32 PM   #4
highvel

None of my .22 pistols will cycle the shot shells reliably, but the shoot and will take care of the killer bee's real close.
I personally use my RWS pellet rifle on the borers.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old May 17, 2011, 08:28 AM   #5
dajowi

I would suggest if you want a "bee" pistol which will shoot the .22 shot shells without the feeding issue - get a revolver. "Get ready to "RUN!"

Last edited by dajowi; May 17, 2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:44 AM   #6
lcpiper

Would a tennis racket do a number on them if they arn't too grouped together like a swarm?

The strings on a racket like that will cut most insects to peices.

I used to use a badmitten racket on paper wasps as a tag team with a buddy and a BB gun. Wasp lands on barn rafters, buddy takes a shot with the BB gun, a hit is great, a miss and the wasp drops about 3 feet straight down before really moving out. It's too easy, just don't miss.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Andrewsmith1

I killed hundreds of those things with a cheap tennis racket. I got the racket for $5 at a garage sale just for that purpose. It worked great and was a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of shot shells.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:50 AM   #8
NJgunowner

Hmmm, reminds of when my cousin shot a hornets nest with a .410.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:57 AM   #9
lcpiper

Yes, not so wise. But a 12GA is fine for paper wasps in trees if you can get the muzzle within about 6 feet. The nest is pretty much disintegrated. Doesn't mean you won't have to run though
Old May 17, 2011, 10:07 AM   #10
jmortimer

"Would a tennis racket do a number on them if they arn't too grouped together like a swarm?"
I keep two old tennis "racquets" around for yellow jackets and wasps but you better be good if you are dealing with a swarm. The tennis racket works well on individual bugs or a few bugs as they can't make it through without at least getting clipped and then I give them the boot if necessary.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:37 AM   #11
aarondhgraham

You are gonna laugh,,,

But my Pop sits out on his back porch and shoots wasps,,,
He has an old pellet pistol in which he pours salt into the barrel.

At 10 feet he rarely ever misses.

I laughed out loud when he told me what he was doing,,,
But he pops the wasps out of the air like a hunter after ducks.

He said he read it somewhere on the web.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 17, 2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

Yer asking for trouble. Use Raid.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Misssissippi Dave

I hit all the holes they start to make with Wasp and Hornet spray. I use a badmitton racket on them then stomp them to be sure they are dead. Here they are called carpenter bees. They boar into mostly untreated wood. Painted wood they don't like. They will go after stained wood without any problems.

The shot shell probably will have to be slowly cycled by hand if you use the ones with the blue plastic caps. The crimped ones probably will be better. I prefer to use either in a revolver.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Wasp spray after sunset when it has cooled down and they are in the nest. Otherwise you are just whacking the workers but the queen is turning out more of them.

About 40 years ago I did the bug spray and match trick at work because the nest was over my shop door but I had the extinguisher handy and I needed it. Wood building and rafters with cedar shakes and a paper nest that burnt real good. In retrospect I should have just used the extinguisher, it was CO2 and after spraying they are pretty easy to knock the nest down and squash the nest.

It was exciting for a minute but I do not recommend the fire and bug spray treatment. Boss almost had a heart attack.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 17, 2011, 11:04 AM   #15
stoney64

shootin' bugs with firearms......awesome. Using shot shells won't hurt but won't cycle either, gotta rack each shot manually (probably pretty hairy if you're getting dive-bombed by some angry bees)

I tried once because....actually I don't remember why but they left the gun pretty dirty.

A 9 shot D/S revolver would work well. Hmmmm, that sounds like my next purchase and a hiking trip to try it, just kidding. What kind of permit do you need for flying bugs? How do you attach the tags?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:27 PM   #16
Sulaco2

Air gun shotshells

Seems to me some airguns/rifles now have a reloadable shotshell that is just like a .22 shotshell without the noise and neighbor veto you might get. Cheeper than dirt I think carries one or two that you can buy with the airgun shotshell. Might be a better solution than a firearm for insects....
Old May 17, 2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Opinated

Carpenter bees do not have the traditional queen. Each female- who is also a worker- has offspring. Each female has her own bore hole in some wood.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:18 PM   #18
nickelanddime

Thanks...I'm gonna try it. Tennis racket wont work, they are too high up, around the 2nd floor eaves.
aarondhgraham, that salt in a pellet gun is a great idea, and I've got a pellet pistol. If that works it would be a lot cheaper.
stoney64, Hah! tags...I'll have to ask the game commission. Maybe I'll even get one mounted.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:05 PM   #19
oneounceload

Quote:
You can shoot 'em just fine, but you will probably have to cycle the action manually for each shot. Most guns wont function properly with the shotshells, but if you manually rack the slide you're in business.
That's the way my MKII has to be operated

If it is bad, you really might want to call your pest control guy - they have stuff not available to the public
Old May 17, 2011, 08:22 PM   #20
publius

as oneounce said, It'll work and won't harm your gun, you will have to cycle it manually though. It's fun shooting the little suckers with rat shot. Never tried it with a pistol though.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:30 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

I think I'd give "Billy the Exterminator" a call . . . . some jobs are just meant to be done by professionals.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 17, 2011, 10:08 PM   #22
kozak6

In recent history, Marlin made a .22 magnum shotgun. That might be some fun for you, if you can find one.

There's also other .22 lr shotguns out there, but they might be hard to find.

Quote:
Seems to me some airguns/rifles now have a reloadable shotshell that is just like a .22 shotshell without the noise and neighbor veto you might get. Cheeper than dirt I think carries one or two that you can buy with the airgun shotshell. Might be a better solution than a firearm for insects....
The Gamo Viper Express. I don't know if it has enough pop to do what you want, but it's been discontinued so maybe it could be found cheaply.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:33 PM   #23
Coach Z

Good luck

Not sure I really have anything to add to this one but I am sitting here with a goofy smile pondering what shooting bees with a .22 shot shell would look like.

youtube
Old May 17, 2011, 11:45 PM   #24
littlmak

If they are that far out of reach you may find the shot shell ineffective with a rifled barrel. Not a whole lot of shot in them shells.
Old May 18, 2011, 12:53 PM   #25
m_liebst

Haaaaa!!!

NJGUNNER-

Hmmm, reminds of when my cousin shot a hornets nest with a .410.
"As for the "God would choose Glock" crap, I think if god decided to put down the lightning bolts and pick up a handgun, it would probably be a stainless Dan Wesson valor 1911. And since he's god, he'd get a new one with 10mm... cause he's god and if god wants a 10mm he gets one, even if they aren't making them in 10mm!."

VERY Funney

Tags
.22 , automatch , colt , shotshell