The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 16, 2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Single Six

For My Fellow Cold Steel Knife Fans

I admit it. I'm a hopeless Cold Steel fan. Any company that makes video proof of the toughness of their wares while daring other companies to follow suit [so far, no takers] is okay with me. So here's what I'm wondering: Why is it that most knife articles in most gun magazines seem to ignore this particular manufacturer? American Handgunner and their sister publication Guns are prime examples. In fact, Lynn Thompson himself seems to be alluding to this unspoken collective prejudice in his most recent catalog. Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 16, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Bones

Back in the old days,if a manufacture didn't advertise in the magazine, it was unlikely to get a product (positive) review in the magazine.
Old May 16, 2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Single Six

Bones: You raise an interesting point. Handgunner and Guns are still my two favorites, but now that you mention it...I don't recall seeing any Cold Steel ads in either one.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:39 PM   #4
NWdude83

Bones nailed it right on the head. You gotta advertise in the magazine to get a review (generally good) whether you are a firearms manufacture or a knife manufacture. Springfield blanketed gun magazines with advertisments for the XD, which they paid a lot of money for. And maybe because of that, it won handgun of the year for several years. Im not saying thats the only reason it won, but it didnt hurt its chances either.
Old May 17, 2011, 04:44 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

As a writer who couldn't make it in the gun mag business because I told the truth, I know, first hand, advertisers get the reviews. And they get good ones because that is what rings the cash register.
Truthful reviews of an inferior product loses the advertiser and gets the writer fired.
Old May 17, 2011, 05:05 PM   #6
THEZACHARIAS

All good reasons I don't buy those publications anymore. Any idiot can rave for a page and a half about how a 20 year old pistol design with a new light mount is a benchmark in firearms technology and 'totally worth' the extra $100. Show me a writer who can give an honest review on a product, and I'll show you a receipt for my 3 year subscription.

Last edited by THEZACHARIAS; May 17, 2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Rifleman1776

Don't put all the blame on the writers. It starts with the owners who give orders to the editors who tell the writers how to slant the articles. Do not expect objectivity in slick magazines, regardless of subject. e.g. guns, boats, cars, household, whatever.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Slamfire

Quote:
Bones nailed it right on the head. You gotta advertise in the magazine to get a review (generally good) whether you are a firearms manufacture or a knife manufacture. Springfield blanketed gun magazines with advertisments for the XD, which they paid a lot of money for. And maybe because of that, it won handgun of the year for several years. Im not saying thats the only reason it won, but it didnt hurt its chances either.
Not only advertise, but pay for the article.

It is noticeable that the articles in gun magazines are simply paid infomercials for the products mentioned in the article. At the end of each article in Guns magazine is a list of the products that the author wove into the story and where to get them.

Another reason may be spite. I met Lynn Thompson once, he is not a cuddly bear, infact he is a hard nosed business man and that will ruffle feathers, especially for writers and editors expecting to be treated as royalty.

So they have no reason to pump his products. No free bees, no ego stroking, no advertising.

Last edited by Slamfire; May 19, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:11 AM   #9
NWdude83

And look who has an ad on every other page in gun magazines now... Ruger. Guess who won handgun of the year the last 2 years...
Old May 18, 2011, 01:28 AM   #10
egor20

OK, getting back To Cold Steel weapons...

I have a Blackthorn, (I broke my leg a few years ago) and I've always wanted an OSS knife, but I can't carry one while riding, Damn nice looking knife though.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 18, 2011, 03:03 AM   #11
Single Six

Egor: We're on the same page. I'm partial to the Voyager series, and here lately, the Rajah II. I also splurged a few years back for the Magnum Tanto II, an elegant [yet serious] fixed blade if ever there was one.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:40 PM   #12
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
As a writer who couldn't make it in the gun mag business because I told the truth, I know, first hand, advertisers get the reviews. And they get good ones because that is what rings the cash register.
Truthful reviews of an inferior product loses the advertiser and gets the writer fired.
Yup, but there is a business model where honesty still works and pays the bills. The Internet allows you to publish your honest reviews and generate revenue not from advertisements from manufacturers but instead from traffic.

I love the Internet.

I stopped buying Guns and Ammo years ago because they gave glowing reviews of low quality, poorly made, poorly designed products. Why? Because the company had a full page spread in the magazine.

I've since started doing my own reviews using YouTube as a venue and it's been growing steadily. It seems to me that the Internet will eventually put the pinch on traditional print publications one day... and that day can't come soon enough for me.

Thank you for being honest about your reviews though... I admire your resolve.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:08 PM   #13
ChrisJ715

As another CS fan, I can honestly say I've never even seen a CS review in a gun or knife magazne. These explanations make perfect sense to me.
Old May 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #14
Single Six

Chris: I hate to admit it, but it makes sense to me too. Any TFL moderators care to offer an opinion, since you guys are in the publishing biz?
Old May 19, 2011, 02:21 AM   #15
Geezerbiker

Seriously who reads magazines anymore? I get the AR with my membership but I didn't join to get it. Magazines like newspapers are a dieing industry...

Tony
Old May 19, 2011, 06:24 AM   #16
Single Six

Geezerbiker: Obviously, yours truly still reads 'em. You will never see me with an "e-pad" or "i-pad" or whatever the heck it is those electronic thingies that contain books are called.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:00 AM   #17
NWdude83

I mostly just look at the pictures, and only read a little bit of the articles.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:01 AM   #18
rayban

"I mostly just look at the pictures, and only read a little bit of the articles. "

......that's how I go through these threads
Old May 20, 2011, 10:23 AM   #19
Geezerbiker

I discovered years ago that magazines give the best reviews to those that spend the most on advertising. Now with the internet, you can talk to people that have real experience with what you want to know about. I have a Cold Steel Tanto but I haven't had it long enough to comment on it anything more than it looks very strong...

Tony
Old May 20, 2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Single Six

Geezerbiker: If you haven't already seen it, you ought to check out Cold Steel's video "Absolute Proof". They will happily send it to you for free if you just ask; ditto for their catalog. When the day comes that SOG, CRKT, or Spyderco step up and make a video like that, I just MIGHT consider buying something from them! The web site is www.ltspecpro.com and the phone # is 1-800-255-4716.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:06 PM   #21
bravo124

I don't understand it either, but I'm kinda glad. I own the Rajah II, Spartan, and the Recon 1. Love them all. Maybe if the magazines start promoting Cold Steel then the prices will go up. To me it's a great knife at a reasonable price.
Old May 20, 2011, 12:32 PM   #22
Single Six

Bravo124, you and I would get along famously.
Old May 20, 2011, 04:28 PM   #23
Geezerbiker

I bought my Cold Steel Tanto because I talked to a guy that used one in Africa to skin a rhino. He said it was the toughest knife he had ever used and wouldn't hunt without it. I found a used one cheap and snapped it up. It's going to be my hunting knife until I pass it on to one of my grandsons...

Tony
Old May 20, 2011, 04:48 PM   #24
JBriggs

I've had cold steel tanto for years. been through a lost of use and abuse and is still going strong. I recently picked up a little urban pal push dagger that fits on my key chain. pretty neat little knife. I agree with all the folks above- you just don't see reviews bc cold steel won't buy the ad space. Based on what they make, guess they really don't have to.
Old May 20, 2011, 05:48 PM   #25
nathaniel

I bought a roach belly about a year ago after looking for a cheap knife I could use for camping. I have used that knife for litterally everything and I have never sharpened the blade. I have never had such a good knife for so little of a price tag. I think thier video is all the advertising they need.