The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 22, 2011, 09:26 PM   #1
bigbaby

Tommy gun

I was at the indoor range last wednesday and I saw something I have never seen, before; a fully automatic Thompson machine pistol with a 30 round magazine. It looked like an old one, but I am no expert. The dude was good too, he was squeezing of about 3 to 5 rounds per pull, based on how fast he emptied the mag and he made a nice pattern about 8 or 10 inches in diameter from 100 feet. I spent at least half my range time just watching him shoot.
Old May 23, 2011, 12:37 AM   #2
nogo

Decades ago I enjoyed firing Thompsons at a Texas prison range. These were left over from earlier years and not in general service. There was a 1927 Navy model with 50 rd drum that was a blast to shoot. Hitting center mass on silhouette targets from 50 yards was easy. The range guys who frequently played with them were really good. One range guy was a WW2 vet who could shoot high skeet scores firing from the hip with an 870 riot gun. With the Thompson he was deadly.