The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 16, 1999, 07:36 PM   #1
sjones

does any one know how to take out the magazine safety on this pistol? just bought it and i like it real well,but not the safety. thanks ahead of time I have been reading the firing line for a while and decided that its time to jump in,and learn a few things.you all sound like you know what you are talking about.
Old May 17, 1999, 07:14 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

SJONES:
I don't have that knowledge, but if this is a new gun this may cause a warrenty problem, or a possible liability to the owner.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited May 17, 1999).]
Old May 30, 1999, 07:47 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

This has been discussed before many times.

Do NOT deactivate any safety device on a firearm. If you have to use the gun in self defense a prosecutor or a victim's attorney will claim that you deliberately deactivated a safety in order to kill more efficiently. It could mean the difference between getting off and being convicted of first degree murder. (That's right; it has happened.)

Further, you will be liable if anyone else gets (even steals) your gun and is injured. Whether the specific safety that was deactivated was involved will be irrelevant; you acted in a reckless manner with total disregard for human life, etc., etc.

If you die and your heirs sell the gun without the safety, they will be liable the same way even though they may know nothing about guns.

Repeat - do not deactivate any safety on any gun for any reason. Live with it or buy a gun that does not have a mag safety. Then the liability is on the maker, not you.

(Comparisons are never exact, but how would you feel if a member of your family were run down by a driver who had deactivated his car's brakes to make it go faster?)

Jim

A lighter note - I like the A-75 very much and consider it an excellent carry gun.

JK

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited May 30, 1999).]