The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 7, 2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Clevinger

New Benelli M2

I mostly shoot pistols, but my father-in-law hunts and shoots clay, etc, and wants me to start going along. Anyway, I bought my first shotgun today: a 26" Benelli M2 12 gauge. I'm hoping it will be a good all-purpose gun for me as I don't want to get another shotgun really. I was happy with the price...I found one on sale for $1,100.

Verdict? Thoughts? Tips for this gun?

Old May 7, 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Slugo

I think it's the best in the Benelli lineup. Go shoot some clays with it to get a feel of the gun. Have fun...
Old May 8, 2011, 06:17 PM   #3
Clevinger

This should be a good all-purpose gun, right? I know 28" is more common for clays. I'll go turkey hunting too.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:43 AM   #4
macsters

i think, if i were going to use a shotgun as an all purpose gun, i would get a mossberg 500 with 2 barrels: an 18 inch that it would wear while it sat in the closet with 3 rounds of 00 buck in the tube, and a 26" for everything else.

the longer barrel lengths are more common in trap and skeet, yes.

26" is absolutely fine for what you are doing: amateur clay killing and hunting. 18", or even up to 22", would be ideal for defending your house, but if you have handguns you use to defend your house, then i would be the last person to scoff at your purchase. the M2 is a great shotgun; and in your hands for $1100 is a good deal.

be warned: when you show up at a skeet range with your black autoloader, you might be scoffed at by the good ole boys with their $3000 beautiful over-unders.
Old May 9, 2011, 07:36 AM   #5
PanBaccha

Could barely make out the outline of Benelli in its case. Must be a pretty sight to behold.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Clevinger

"Could barely make out the outline of Benelli in its case. Must be a pretty sight to behold."

It is beautiful. That picture is on a camera phone in a low-lit room before I put it together...sorry...it doesn't do it justice.

I didn't even plan on buying two days ago. I was just out looking and I found the exact gun I wanted at a price I liked. I was a little bit impulsive, but I can't wait to fire it.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:48 AM   #7
Clevinger

"Be warned: when you show up at a skeet range with your black autoloader, you might be scoffed at by the good ole boys with their $3000 beautiful over-unders"

The friends I would shoot with and my father-in-law are all cool and don't care. Furthermore, my range is going to be my father-in-laws farmland in Minnesota for the most part. Thanks for the warning though.

I have to admit that I feel a little bit lost with this gun. I researched shotguns and got the one I wanted, but almost all my familiarity is with pistols. I haven't fired a shotgun since high school and those were pump models. I'm trying to get familiar with loading, unloading, and take-down of the Benelli today.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:07 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
"Be warned: when you show up at a skeet range with your black autoloader, you might be scoffed at by the good ole boys with their $3000 beautiful over-unders"
Not true at all - not at any club I have ever shot at in the last 30 years covering a dozen or so states - that sounds more like it is coming from someone who is jealous of folks who shoot entry level Browning and Beretta Over-Unders.......

You'll be fine - just remember to clean and relube per the owner's manual
Old May 9, 2011, 12:09 PM   #9
BigJimP

They're a good solid gun ...and yes you did well on the price. With a 28" barrel, yes, its a good all around gun ( for hunting and for casual clay shooting ).

I put a couple of tips on your other thread. If you don't have an owners manual - you can print one on-line at Benelli's website.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:00 PM   #10
macsters

Quote:
that sounds more like it is coming from someone who is jealous of folks who shoot entry level Browning and Beretta Over-Unders.......
as a guy who owns both a cheap turkish OU and a beretta 687 ultralight i can honestly say that i am not jealous.

i considered selling the thing, because its too nice to take anywhere, and i already have an OU, plus that kind money can buy a new gearstack for the 911, but it was a gift from my grandfather who is now deceased.

in any case, the warning came from personal experience. the skeet range i went to in ABQ before i moved to georgia had some interesting characters working there. they were bound to give you funny looks and treat you like you were slow if you showed up with a black gun. granted, these were not the $3000 beretta owning types, but that was just a stereotype i inserted for humor anyway.

point is: keep it cleaned and lubed, and if you ever get someone who gives you a funny look over it being a "black gun"....well, just ignore them. you have an excellent shotgun.