The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
superpelly

Crack casings/ 22 Winchester ammo/Normal? Pic

Cracked casings , from top to bottom of Winchester 22 ammo 36gr plated hollow point. I went shooting today with my Beretta U22 Neo and had found several casing's cracked all the way down from top to base. This is new ammo, I normally use Federal. Is this normal for Winchester or just bad ammo. ? I new somthing was wrong when the pressure came out the top and sides of my
slide rail, (of course this would jam the gun)

Heres a pic

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (219.5 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by superpelly; May 4, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old May 4, 2011, 02:49 PM   #2
travywestside

Sounds like a bad batch of ammo.

I have shot Winchester ammo out of many different guns and have never had this happen to me.
Old May 4, 2011, 03:12 PM   #3
PA-Joe

Email the photo to Winchester!
Old May 4, 2011, 03:35 PM   #4
superpelly

I contacted Winchester, they want me to send, bad casings, all the ammo, plus my pistol!! They said they want to send the gun to Beretta to see if there is any damge to gun!!! At there costs.

They were concerned because I told them a piece of one of the casing's cut my right index finger, (not one pictured ) I could not find that one. This was a outdoor firing range and people were shooting so I could no look for all of them.
Old May 4, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

Quote:
They were concerned because I told them a piece of one of the casing's cut my right index finger
Absolutely.
They are very concerned that not jumping on this with a low cost ($100-200) could possibly provoke a lawsuit with a much higher cost (even if they win, it costs them).

It is most likely just some bad brass. *Poop* happens.
It could also be a bad chamber (over-sized), or a bad recoil spring (allowing the slide to blow back too quickly, and causing case ruptures).
Old May 5, 2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Knight Diver

Interesting. I just had that happen to me (split cases, not cut finger) with my NEOS yesterday, for the first time. But I was using the Remington bulk pack that nobody likes. Same symptom, though. It would fail to eject the brass that had split and, naturally, fail to feed the next round. I just chalked it up to cheap ammo.
Old May 5, 2011, 09:26 AM   #7
superpelly

Hmmm? , Like I said, I normally use federal ammo, and never had a problem with jams or split casings, I bought this box at wally-world for 14.00 (555 rounds) thought I would give it a try.

Last edited by superpelly; May 5, 2011 at 09:35 AM.