The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 3, 2011, 07:26 PM   #1
PoorRichRichard

SKS Bullpup Conversion -250$- SHOULD I DO IT??

I just bought a very nice Russian SKS, and it's in really good shape (I'd say 85%-90%). I unfortunately live in California where our tactical options are limited as most of you probably already know. There is a new company called SG Works that sells a California legal bullpup stock for only about 250$. You can check them out at sgworks.com.

So being that this is a nice Russian model SKS, (that I will be shooting frequently regardless of weather I covert or not) should I go ahead and convert, or leave it alone. I'd appreciate any helpful thoughts.
Old May 3, 2011, 07:31 PM   #2
okiewita40

If your russian is all numbers matching do not do it. Pick up a cheap norinco and have at it though.
Old May 3, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
PoorRichRichard

The numbers do match, and thank you very much for your advice! This gun is so fricken cool already, I think I'm gonna look for another to convert. Any advice on a norinco vs. a yougo? If I obtained a yougo and the #'s all matched, should I leave that one alone as well, or convert?
Old May 3, 2011, 07:59 PM   #4
mnero

got any pictures? I would love to see it
Old May 3, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
MagnumWill

Weird! I was pretty skeptical when I heard of it, but it's pretty well executed. I just don't feel comfortable with the bolt actuating THAT CLOSE TO MY FACE.... maybe it's just a bullpup thing...

Let people shoot it at the range and you'll hear "that Microtech AUG had the GRITTIEST trigger I ever shot!" haha
Old May 3, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6
PoorRichRichard

Here she be:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKS.jpg (194.9 KB, 271 views)
Old May 3, 2011, 08:39 PM   #7
PoorRichRichard

Shoot...

Quote:
I just don't feel comfortable with the bolt actuating THAT CLOSE TO MY FACE.... maybe it's just a bullpup thing...
I did not think of that... That's an awful lot of powder going off right next to my eye. Thank you for the food-for-thought.
Old May 3, 2011, 08:50 PM   #8
MagnumWill

*sigh*...but it's so pretty....

If it's a quick changeover and you don't have to permanently alter the rifle, there's no harm in it. Frankly, I'd use the $250 and change for a different gun. But out in Colorado, I have a wealth of options when it comes to scary guns.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:13 PM   #9
macsters

buy a crappy one to do that to.

keep your collector's piece in untouched condition.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:24 PM   #10
chris in va

Good grief man, don't do a *thing* to that SKS. Wipe any mods from your mind. It's for the children.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:22 PM   #11
raftman

It's a very handsome rifle and piece of Cold War history, I would not even considering modifying it.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Volucris

Don't touch that. Bullpup conversions and permanent modifications to surplus/historical firearms are for fudds and dumb inner city bubbas.
Old May 4, 2011, 12:29 AM   #13
Silent Titan

i have a para sks that is very similar to your rifle. my step dad tried many tapco mods on his sks, some worked.... some didnt. the final result was that my stock sks ran like a champ and he had to pick though the mods that worked. you have a great gun that is a piece of history. if you really want to tapco out a gun, spend a few bills on a mini 14 and go to town
Old May 4, 2011, 12:58 AM   #14
mellow_c

I would leave the Russian alone... that gun is too nice to mess with. Enjoy it... I dont have one, but I wish I did!....

If you really want to convert one to bulpup, I guess the Yougo would be fine. But like some have said. I had a friend that had an SKS and it shot Perfectly until he started messing with the stock, and magazine. I dont know much about it. I've never owned an SKS, but I personally think you might be better off looking for a better rifle for the application you are thinking of then spending the $250 on a new stock. I know you live in CA so you are limited to foreign rule, but I'd think there would be something you could save for on top of your $250 that would be better than a converted bulpup SKS. Even the guy in the video advertising it seams to be struggling a bit.
Old May 4, 2011, 01:09 AM   #15
Madball6

lol gotta love the budget video... Anyone else notice it was all wolf ammo?
Old May 4, 2011, 11:35 AM   #16
38superhero

no...
Old May 4, 2011, 04:04 PM   #17
jaymce

+1 for the no vote.

If it helps here is the general rule for SKS mods.

1) Obtain rifle & go online
2) Ask about all the cool mods and attachments you see.
3) Decide that the folks who say don't touch the rifle are not 100% clear on how awesome the conversion will be when done.
4) Buy a stock and other attachments.
5) enjoy (for a brief moment) your new range toy.
6) After shooting it some decide it is not all it was cracked up to be.
7) Remove the 100s of $ of crap, refinish the original stock and return rifle to original configuration.
8) Find that the rifle is much better in its original configuration and sell all the add on stuff on GB at a loss to the next guy. Who is @ stage 4

Only mods I would recomend would be a trigger job by Kavari (I think is how it is spelled).

The SKS is what it is a small effective carbine that is (mostly) non-detachable box fed. If you want a high capacity version look into the SKS M or D models or go for an AK.

Also check out the SKS Suvivors Board. There is a lot of good info on that site.
Old May 4, 2011, 07:36 PM   #18
sailskidrive

Hmmmm....

SKS to Bullpup? Kind of reminds me of a friend who bought a Ferrari body kit for his '86 Pontiac Fiero.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old May 6, 2011, 10:26 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Study for a moment your SKS and the proposed bullpup stock. Figuire out where the gas goes if a primer or a case ruptures. Personally, I don't care for 40,000+psi that close to my face. What's bewteen you and the action opening? A thin piece of plastic?

No thanks.
Old May 7, 2011, 02:18 AM   #20
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
How much more is a legal/neutered AK-47 over an SKS in Kommiefornia?
Old May 8, 2011, 06:44 PM   #21
PoorRichRichard

Quote:
How much more is a legal/neutered AK-47 over an SKS in Kommiefornia?
I was looking into that the other day, and I found one for about 750$ after tax and the CA DROS fees. If I could find a yogo with a busted stock for under 350$ I'd be in business with the 250$ SG Works SKS Bullpup stock conversion kit for a total of about 600$. And I don't have to worry about the all the bullet button B.S. (unlike the AK) because the standard SKS (as well as the SG Works conversion kit) loads from a stripper clip, not a detachable mag. *

But 44 AMP has me thinking:

Quote:
Study for a moment your SKS and the proposed bullpup stock. Figuire out where the gas goes if a primer or a case ruptures. Personally, I don't care for 40,000+psi that close to my face. What's between you and the action opening? A thin piece of plastic?

No thanks.
Hell... Maybe the CA neutered AK is a better option for me... I think my face is worth more than a 150 bucks. Gonna need more info on the safety/design of the SG Works SKS Bullpup stock. Thank you all for your insightful comments.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:53 PM   #22
cornbush

I recently had a massive overpressure in a bolt gun, if it would have been in that bullpup.... holy $@&#, no thanks.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:29 PM   #23
MagnumWill

Quote:
I recently had a massive overpressure in a bolt gun, if it would have been in that bullpup.... holy $@&#, no thanks.
That's right, huh? And that old Soviet steel may not be as formidable as the new Ruger, either....
Old May 8, 2011, 11:06 PM   #24
Edward429451

Quote:
What's bewteen you and the action opening? A thin piece of plastic?
Oh come on, thats not plastic. It's a space age Polymer, and did you notice that it's black?

They guy on the tape wasn't trying to hug it too tight I see, and he was not aiming that thing, LOLOLOLOL!
Old May 9, 2011, 04:00 AM   #25
ExCommie

Looks like something you can hide under a trench coat.

http://www.ctshooting.com/modules.ph...ewtopic&t=4386