The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 2011, 02:33 PM   #1
9mm

Why the Glock bashing?

So why do people bash Glocks? pretty much weren't they copied? just look at the Glock it came out in 1980's? Look how it is made. Now look at all the other pistols that copied the looked, XD/XDM/Kahr's/S&W M&P 40/9mm and other brands. Glock had the design first, then others copied.

Old April 30, 2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Magyar

Another "kool-aide" special to entice the faithful...Give it a break...If you posted this on a Glock forum you'd be thought of as........
Old April 30, 2011, 02:37 PM   #3
mrray13

Glock wasn't first, H&K was. Glock just, um, "perfected" the design, lol.

First polymer pistol ^^ I think it, too, was striker fired.

The xD is actually copied, not from Glock, but from, "gasp", H&K . Which may, or may not, copied Glock to some extent.

H&K hs2000, what the xD started as...

So, if anything, I think H&K started all this, and got copied. Some just made improvements.

Last edited by mrray13; April 30, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
BlayGlock

Because they know way less than they think they do
Old April 30, 2011, 02:45 PM   #5
Alexander

Not this crap again.... :barf:
Old April 30, 2011, 02:47 PM   #6
9mm

ah H&K first had the back design as Glock, I see. The XD/XDM has the same Glock safety trigger though.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:48 PM   #7
chadk7

Its mainly because of the fanboys I think. They are so quick to bash everything else. It's really annoying.
Old April 30, 2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Uncle Malice

mrray13,

Sorry sir, but your are drastically mistaken. H&K had nothing to do with the HS2000.

The HS2000 was HS Arms. Springfield just bought them out. The top the slide is even still stamped as being HS.... not of any relation to H&K whatsoever.

As for 9mm... dude, get over it. People bash on every gun they don't like. Don't start up a trolling thread. People bash Glocks, XD's, Taurus, and even 1911's.

This thread isn't going to go anywhere useful... it probably ought to be shut down.
Old April 30, 2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Glockfan35

Ugh.....

If I hear one more anti-Glock thread, I may just have to:barf::barf::barf:!
That would not be good,not good at all! If you don't like Glocks, fine, it's a free country! Personally though, I find 'em to be what works the best! I would much rather have a 9mm baby Glock on me than pretty much anything else, save maybe an FNX-9, an excellent 1911, my dad's Rossi R462 .357, or a S&W 5906!
Old April 30, 2011, 03:22 PM   #10
Casimer

Quote:
Its mainly because of the fanboys I think. They are so quick to bash everything else. It's really annoying.
+1. Some Glock fans don't seem to understand that by making bogus claims and constantly berating other guns, and gun owners, they're actually undermining Glock's reputation. I have the impression that many of these guys are new gun owners and so don't have much experience with other pistols. They assume that the features of the Glock are exclusive to the Glock. This group is a lot like the early base of Apple computer fans, which is where the term fanboy comes from. The Apple community has matured a lot, but back in the day they were notorious for exactly this sort of behavior. They'd go around antagonizing more sophisticated computer users with all sorts of ridiculous claims that actually demonstrated their inexperience with computers (e.g. my computer is better because the corners are rounded!). Apple's marketing had to make a deliberate effort to get ahead of this, because their own fans were creating the impression that Apples weren't appropriate for serious computing.
Old April 30, 2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Boatme98

Because we can.

Seriously, every make gets bashed. Does it matter? No. We all know what we like and dislike, the bashers might change a couple of minds, but that's usually on folks new to shooting. I just grin and bear it when folks bash my Rugers, Hi Point, Colt, Sig, S&W, Bersa, etc. I know what I have.

Glocks though.......
Old April 30, 2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Falcon642

Why do Broncos fans bash Raiders fans, they both like football right? Why do Yankee fans bash Red Sox fans, they both like baseball right? Why does everyone bash the Lakers.......ok thats because Kobe is the spawn of satan but I digress........

Its very possible to like a general sport or activity, but dislike the individual components of that sport. I love football, but when the cowboys and the raiders play, I hate both teams so much that I don't want either side to win and I cheer for injuries.

Rivalries are human nature. We pick what we like and we root for it.

Personally I don't own a Glock and I don't like Glock because of all the major brands of hanguns, I shoot the worst with a Glock........by far.

Rivalries are fine and fun, to a point.
Old April 30, 2011, 03:33 PM   #13
mrray13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
mrray13,

Sorry sir, but your are drastically mistaken. H&K had nothing to do with the HS2000.

The HS2000 was HS Arms. Springfield just bought them out. The top the slide is even still stamped as being HS.... not of any relation to H&K whatsoever.
Lol, I stand corrected. Upon further research, I guess I was confusing the HS2000 with the p2000. Seems as though, just to be nit picky as I have nothing better to do, that it is HS Produkt (formerly I.M. Metal), not HS Arms, lol. HS meaning Hrvatski Samokres (Croatian Pistol).

Sorry, I couldn't be the only one wrong, lol ! BTW, thanks for the post, it's nice to learn something everyday! :thumbsup:
Old April 30, 2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Single Six

I don't own any Glocks. I DID recently consider buying a G21RF, but ultimately I did not. The ONLY reason I won't buy a Glock is because they don't have manual safeties, a feature I happen to prefer on my semi-autos. It's just a personal preference that I feel strongly about. That said, I have shot them, and found them to be as tough and reliable as I'd heard; in fact, just as much so as my beloved Rugers. So: No Glock-bashing here....it's just not for me.
Old April 30, 2011, 03:46 PM   #15
Mal H
Staff

I can't count how many times this topic has been dredged up only to lead to more of the bashing mentioned, not only of Glock, but other companies as well. It is fruitless to continue - closed.
Closed Thread