The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 26, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1
E&BC

So what am I missing (AR-15)

BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group w/ LaRue Tactcial 12" Handguard
BCM Lower
LMT Bolt Carrier Assembly (SEMI)
BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 3 (LARGE) Latch
Troy front and rear battle sights
MAGPUL MOE grip and stock
Old April 26, 2011, 07:02 PM   #2
emcon5

Make sure you have 18 rails, and hang about 30 lbs of crap off it.

Don't forget the bottle opener, Everyone always forgets the bottle opener.
Old April 26, 2011, 07:13 PM   #3
BIG P

500 rounds& a place to shoot.:d
Old April 26, 2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Volucris

Some rail covers from Troy, X300, should have gotten the BCM M16 carrier (why are you getting a semi?), get a medium latch unless you have bricks for hands, buy a better grip and get a vltor emod stock
Old April 26, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

Quote:
Make sure you have 18 rails, and hang about 30 lbs of crap off it.

Don't forget the bottle opener, Everyone always forgets the bottle opener.

Old April 26, 2011, 08:27 PM   #6
mnero

I just use a lighter, but the bottle opener is cool.
Old April 26, 2011, 08:28 PM   #7
Rob3
Registration in progress

Is that bottle opener for real? If so I will buy one in a heartbeat to put on my M4. No one on my team will believe what it really is.
Old April 26, 2011, 08:34 PM   #8
emcon5

How about a Glock 19? Everyone should have a Glock hanging off their AR.

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/weapon...-glock-19.html

Of course ATF would view that as an SBR, so make sure you get your tax stamp.
Old April 26, 2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Technosavant

Quote:
because we dont have the most expensive stuff on the market.
No, because you feel the need to dump all over somebody else's gun because they bought something other than the bargain basement stuff from CTD. Not everybody who buys quality is a mall ninja- sure, they may not use the equipment to its limits, but that's kinda the point- if you end up hitting the limits of your gear, that means you can't progress beyond that point (or depending on what you just maxed out, your rifle is now useless or your life is about to end). Buy what you want, but don't dump on somebody else for buying something nicer.

To the OP, assuming you have a LPK and a buffer tube, spring, and buffer (not sure if all BCM lowers are complete... used to be they didn't sell stripped lowers, but I don't know about recently), you sound like you're GTG, but keep in mind that flip up sights are really intended as a backup. I'd be thinking about what kind of optic you have in mind.

The only other stuff I might recommend is some quality mags (never can have too many) and ammo (never can have too much), then off to the range with you to shoot the thing. Sounds like a nice setup, but one question- is there some reason you didn't go BCM on the BCG and went LMT instead?
Old April 26, 2011, 08:45 PM   #10
DAdams

What's not to like?

Optics and a sling? Definitely that bottle opener.
I'm sure you can find some good stuff here.
http://www.blueforcegear.com/categories/Vickers-Slings/

Here's my BCM 14.5 midlength.

Last edited by DAdams; April 26, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old April 26, 2011, 09:12 PM   #11
HKFan9

Quote:
No, because you feel the need to dump all over somebody else's gun because they bought something other than the bargain basement stuff from CTD. Not everybody who buys quality is a mall ninja- sure, they may not use the equipment to its limits, but that's kinda the point- if you end up hitting the limits of your gear, that means you can't progress beyond that point (or depending on what you just maxed out, your rifle is now useless or your life is about to end). Buy what you want, but don't dump on somebody else for buying something nicer.
Finally someone who actually makes sense.

I would +1 an Optic. Depending on what your intended purpose is. Acog's are very nice.

I also used a Trijicon Reflex amber dot on one of my rifles for awhile. I had the version that "was specifically designed for US Special Forces for their M4A1" I bought bought it because it had a 4.5 MOA dot vs 12MOA dots like the others. I had Troy Ind. flip ups that co-witnessed through it, but most of the time I kept them folded down.

Right now I am running a Leupold Mark 4 CQT on mine. Little big and bulky, but the 1-3 variable is nice, along with the light up or black circle dot reticle.

Aimpoint also makes some nice optics.

Besides optics.... Lots of Magpul Pmags are a must, ammo too of course.

Sling? Rail Covers?
Old April 26, 2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Sport45

Quote:
So what am I missing (AR-15)
Ammo, targets, and trigger time.

Be sure to post some targets here when you're done!
Old April 26, 2011, 09:53 PM   #13
Jim243

Dam where can I buy that bottle opener, CTD doesn't carry them? Put what you want on it and enjoy, they are for fun anyways, if you need a serious build enlist the army will give you all the ammo you could use and something to shot it with.

Jim

Old April 26, 2011, 10:05 PM   #14
KChen986

Damn, I need that bottle opener for my Super-AR

I got a 4-16x50 on the side so I can just rotate the gun 90 degrees and make long range shots, naw' what I mean?
Old April 26, 2011, 10:06 PM   #15
KChen986

Seriously though:

1.) Sling
2.) Flashlight
3.) Optic
4.) Mags, ammo, and training.

Not necessarily in that order.
Old April 26, 2011, 10:54 PM   #16
C0untZer0

If I missed something then please forgive me, but I don't see where you have a laser range finder mounted on it. A laser sight is one thing but a laser range finder is something altogether.

I would think you'd want a laser range finder mounted on one side and a picatinny GPS on the other.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:00 PM   #17
emcon5

Quote:
I would think you'd want a laser range finder mounted on one side and a picatinny GPS on the other.
No, laser range finders are for posers. You need a proper artillery type optical. This one is good to 20,000 meters.

KChen986, you missed a spot:

Kidding, and mocking of mall ninjas aside, take it to the range and shoot it.

While you are shooting it, think about what needs improving. This is a very individual thing. What I like on a carbine, and and what works for me, or anyone else in this thread, may not work for you.

Don't buy optics, unless you think you need them. Don't buy a light, unless you think you need one. Get good magazines, and a sling if you think you need one.

I used to shoot a lot of 3 gun, with a Franken-AR, A Colt lower, Olympic A2 PCR Carbine Upper with a Milsurp A1 stock and an Armalite 2-stage trigger. I used the factory Iron sights. I bought the upper during the ban, so it came with an obnoxious muzzle brake clamped on the barrel. The A2 stock was a little long for my liking, and collapsible stocks were illegal at the time so I got the A1, about an inch shorter, and a little lighter. When the federal ban expired, I thought about changing to a M4 or similar stock, and do not see the need. The A1 stock is great for me.

So far, I haven't seen the need for optics on this rifle. I can still acquire targets quickly with the 0-2 aperture and get a little more precise with the small one. As my eyesight continues to slip with age, I may change my opinion.

Don't fix what ain't broke, and if you do, do so because you think it is broke. Not because some dude on the internet said you needed it.

Except for the bottle opener. That one is a must have.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg frankenAR.jpg (22.8 KB, 270 views)
Old April 27, 2011, 01:31 AM   #18
curmudgeon1

How'd he do that?
Old April 27, 2011, 01:50 AM   #19
C0untZer0

I think you should attach a winch to it.

I got my CUC-V stuck in a creek once, man I wish I'd had a winch.

There are a thousand and one uses for a winch.

You never know when you're gonna need a winch!
Old April 27, 2011, 05:04 AM   #20
RedNeckWino

This is where to get the bottle opener. Had to go looking because I did not believe it was real. For when SHTF and you absolutely have to have a beer while shooting Zombie-fied Kittens.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Manufac..._ACE_s/150.htm
Old April 27, 2011, 06:18 AM   #21
madcratebuilder

I like emcon5's KISS approach. If it's not their it can't cause a problem. A quality BCG, FCG and buffer system are the important parts. Even with my deteriorating eye sight I prefer irons over optics for 100yds and under.

To the OP, I would pass on the LaRue Tactcial 12" Handguard and go with a MOE, it's lighter.
Old April 27, 2011, 10:37 AM   #22
Quentin2

Nice build, E&BC, excellent components, very well done!

Now for a sling, maybe VTAC or VCAS, optics, maybe a light... and of course more magazines and ammo. And if you can fit in a carbine class.

And as far as a bottle opener, don't you guys use your 1911 for that???!!!
Old April 27, 2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Technosavant

Quote:
simple is good, and light!
Indeed. I must admit, if I were going to build my "Green Monster" AR again, there would be a fair amount less on it. The rails would give way to an MOE handguard, the light would probably be in an Elzetta mount, and I'd have likely gone with a lightweight midlength barrel profile.

Live and learn.

It's great, though, that we aren't limited to just ONE AR. I have a 20" KISS A2 for the times when I want simplicity.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:21 PM   #24
Quentin2

Quote:
...I must admit, if I were going to build my "Green Monster" AR again, there would be a fair amount less on it. The rails would give way to an MOE handguard, the light would probably be in an Elzetta mount, and I'd have likely gone with a lightweight midlength barrel profile...
I couldn't agree more Technosavant! I recently did a LW 16" middy build with MOE furniture and can't fault it in any way.