The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 26, 2011, 12:05 PM   #1
alabama

shooting .40 in a 10mm glock

I shot a whole mag of .40 through my glock 20 10mm. It worked fine. It didnt eject very far and kind of through the emptys up instead of out the side. I know its not recomended but it worked and it didnt hurt the gun. I punched the bore a couple times before shooting 10mm again. Does anyone have experience doing this and what can it hurt? Thanks
Old April 26, 2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Does anyone have experience doing this and what can it hurt?
Well, your gun could explode in your hand.. that's one thing.... and it might hurt.

Honestly, it's pretty absurd that you would even consider doing this. The 10mm is significantly longer than the .40S&W. Loading .40 into your chamber means that the bullet is not fully seated and is just shooting the bullet into the chamber, rather than into the bore/rifling.

Just buy a damn conversion barrel for $100 so you don't blow your hand up.

Can you get away with it without destroying your gun and personal injury? Maybe... but why on earth would you risk it? It's not a revolver.
Old April 26, 2011, 12:18 PM   #3
BarryLee

My Father was a wise man he often said, “Just because you can doesn’t mean you should”. I am not an expert on these types of compatibility issues, but it does seem a little unwise. However, maybe someone more knowledgeable can educate us all.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 26, 2011, 12:33 PM   #4
hogcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
Loading .40 into your chamber means that the bullet is not fully seated and is just shooting the bullet into the chamber, rather than into the bore/rifling.
I don't want to de-rail this thread, but isn't that exactly what a Judge does with a .45 Colt? Or is the .40/10mm thing different? Just curious.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
American Legion Rider
Old April 26, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
micromontenegro

The problem is not firing the bullet into the chamber, but firing a cartridge that is not headspacing (I can't reach the chamber's shoulder)- simply held in place by the extractor. Or worse yet, headspacing deep in the chamber an actually coming back and hitting the slide after ignition! There is no way you're going to find me doing that!
Old April 26, 2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Marco Califo

http://www.glockmeister.com

You might be able to do that safely if you used the right barrel. But, I did not see any .40 barrels that www.Glockmeister.com says will fit a 10mm.

For example, I bought a G19 barrel that I use in my G26. That is the same caliber.
"This is the factory Glock 9mm barrel that comes stock in the Glock model 19. It can also be used to convert the 19C to shoot as a non-compensated. Using it to convert the 23 or 32 to shoot 9mm is not recommended and unsafe as it is not a 100% fit. This barrel will work extended in the 26."

Glockmeister also sells Glock factory barrels which will convert a .40 G27 to .357:
"This is the factory Glock .357 barrel that comes stock in the Glock model 33. It can be used to convert the 27 to shoot .357 sig. Using it to convert the 26 to shoot .357 sig is not safe as it will not fit into the slide properly. Calibers can only be converted down, not up."
Old April 26, 2011, 12:42 PM   #7
hogcowboy

Quote:
The problem is not firing the bullet into the chamber, but firing a cartridge that is not headspacing (I can't reach the chamber's shoulder)- simply held in place by the extractor. There is no way you're going to find me doing that!
Oh, I got it now.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
American Legion Rider
Old April 26, 2011, 12:45 PM   #8
micromontenegro

..."The operative term here is "Stand-Off," where the .40 S&W (actually 0.03mm narrower than the 10mm) is somehow slipping past the extractor and head-spacing on the case mouth deep in the 10mm chamber, leaving 1/8" of "stand-off" between the case head and the breechface. Now, if the firing pin is long enough (with the S&W Model 1076 it was 100%!), when the round is touched off, it is propelled that distance rearward faster than the firing pin can retract, thus causing primer perforation with an attendent 120-150 fps drop in velocity. Without the breechface in full contact support there are huge amounts of heat generated back there, and this causes primer flow and contributes to case head deformation. The notches ripped from the extractor rim are as a result of the near-molten case head being slammed back against the extractor."

Taken from http://www.thegunzone.com/10v40.html#nb1
Old April 26, 2011, 12:52 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
I don't want to de-rail this thread, but isn't that exactly what a Judge does with a .45 Colt? Or is the .40/10mm thing different?
Yes, that's what the Judge does, but no, it's not the same. The critical difference is headspace.

The Judge, as with most revolvers, fires a rimmed cartridge. Rimmed cases headspace from the rear, at the rim. This is why revolvers can often fire a variety of cartridge lengths (.38Spl --> .357Mag, .44Spl --> .44Mag, etc.).

The 10mm Auto, as with most other auto pistol cartridges, is rimless, i.e. there is an extractor groove, but the rear of the case is the same diameter as the case body. It is designed to headspace from the case mouth; as the case moves forwards, it stops at a step at the forward end of the chamber. (The step is plainly visible if you field-strip the pistol.) However, if the case length is drastically shorter than it's supposed to be, this doesn't work properly.

In your pistol, the forward movement of the shorter .40S&W cases was probably stopped by the extractor, which was apparently adequate to allow the firing pin to ignite the rounds. You got lucky this time; however, this is NOT the way it's supposed to work. Possible side effects include premature extractor wear, unreliable ignition, ruptured cases, and the potential for a gun-destroying and shooter-injuring kB!

If you want to experiment with lower-powered rounds in an automatic pistol, IMHO you should handload using proper-length cases.

If you want to shoot .40S&W factory ammo, IMHO you should buy a G21 or a conversion barrel.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:35 PM   #10
Desertscout1

The danger in doing this is mostly perceived. YOU WILL NOT BLOW UP YOUR GUN!
Folks just take it for granted that you shouldn't do it and therefore, it MUST be dangerous.
We have done this many times and the only danger would MAYBE be excessive wear to the extractor since that is where the case will headspace.
Accuracy is usually good, ejection is a little weak but positive.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:39 PM   #11
MLeake

And of course if you damage your gun, or injure yourself, you'll notify Glock of what you've been doing, not expect them to provide any sort of warranty, and indemnify them against any lawsuit by you, right?
Old April 26, 2011, 02:45 PM   #12
NJgunowner

Hey, it's his fingers. If he blows one off he still has 9 others
Old April 26, 2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Uncle Malice

Quote:
YOU WILL NOT BLOW UP YOUR GUN!
Right.. because normal kaBooms never happened shooting the proper ammunition out of the proper sized chamber... I'd certainly want to antagonize the situation by shooting a totally different caliber out of a chamber.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:54 PM   #14
chris in va

Sweet! I'm gonna try some 380's in my 9mm.

Kidding.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:54 PM   #15
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Springfield Omega.

Hard to find. Harder to find parts, so I hear.

Dual extractors. Might check into this one.

There really is a reason why barrels have the intended cartridge printed on them.

Or if you can't, or will not, keep your ammo straight:
Medusa Revolver.
Old April 26, 2011, 03:04 PM   #16
Desertscout1

You guys are funny. I think most of you spend more time on the computer than you do shooting. LOL!
Anyway, Chris, the .380 will shoot just fine in the Glock 9mm but you will have to rack the slide by hand each time.
Old April 26, 2011, 03:12 PM   #17
jmr40

It's been tried and done successfully by lots of guys who have posted their results on the net. It ain't something I'd care to do unless I only had some rounds of 40 and no 10mm rounds and my life was in danger.
Old April 26, 2011, 03:14 PM   #18
NWdude83

You sound like my gun newb friend who wanted to shoot some .380 outta his 9mm XD.
Old April 26, 2011, 03:20 PM   #19
Desertscout1

You're right jmr, It's not anything that I recommend to people instead of doing it right. I only said that it will work and it is not inherently dangerous.
If you did it too much, it would eventually create a build-up at the shoulder where it is SUPPOSED to headspace just like shooting too many .38's in a .357 chamber.

The XD doesn't feed like the Glock and I'm not sure that shooting .380s in a 9mm would work like it does in a Glock
Old April 26, 2011, 03:57 PM   #20
micromontenegro

Your guns, your fingers. But if one (or more) cartridge slips form the extractor (as they are bound to do sooner or later), the case will come back with a vengeance spitting fire from a ruptured primer and hit the breech face- hard. And yes, I can see that causing a kaboom if the conditions are just right.
Old April 26, 2011, 04:15 PM   #21
Desertscout1

You know, I really don't want to be rude but you need to study up on how this happens, exactly, in a Glock. The breech face and extractor in the 10mm are close enough to being the same as the .40 that there is no danger in the round slipping out from under it. IF it did or IF for some reason it did not feed properly from the magazine, that would mean that the case head would be ahead of the extractor which means the striker would NOT reach the primer and it could NOT fire.
You likely don't know this but when you put a .40 conversion bbl in a Glock 10mm, you change NOTHING but the barrel. You use the same extractor, smae magazine, same recoil spring, same everything else.
Old April 26, 2011, 05:00 PM   #22
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
You likely don't know this but when you put a .40 conversion bbl in a Glock 10mm, you change NOTHING but the barrel.
Yes... and I believe that this is the point: barrels are meant for a specific cartridge; talking semi-autos here.

I have yet to see a Glock with a barrel printed, "10mm auto/.40 S&W".

Just might be a reason...

YM(and finger count)MV
Old April 26, 2011, 05:11 PM   #23
Desertscout1

Well, no. Actually that was not the point. The point was (as the discussion indicated) that the extractor and breech face were the compatible..
I don't know why a couple of you insist on claiming that something is going to blow and your fingers may be at risk. You should spend more time behind the gun instead of the computer monitor
Old April 26, 2011, 05:27 PM   #24
Uncle Malice

Quote:
You should spend more time behind the gun instead of the computer monitor
A bit pretentious aren't we? You have no clue what any of our round counts are, so how about we back the puffed chest express up a bit, mmkay?

The barrel has always been the point of discussion here. I'm actually rather surprised that a moderator hasn't closed this thread yet, due to you bordering on a recommendation of shooting the wrong damn caliber through a barrel.

The FACT is this: You shouldn't do it.

It may or may not cause serious problems. Just because you've done it, doesn't mean no one else will have problems. You are not the end all, be all. Your ego is getting in the way of safe practice, so please stop.

I've been in motorcycle accidents when I wasn't wearing a helmet, and I didn't die. Therefore, it's perfectly safe to do and helmets are unnecessary, right? Wrong. It's not safe habits, and I don't recommend anyone else does it. I don't anymore either. That was back when I was invincible - or so I thought.
Old April 26, 2011, 05:41 PM   #25
MLeake

It's not about the breech face, it's about the .40 case being too short to headspace on its shoulder in a 10mm chamber.
Closed Thread