The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 26, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1
landcruzr

Colt Delta Elite

Is anyone using the Colt Delta Elite in IDPA or USPSA type events?
and what mods if any are allowed or recommended? I Have never competed in a pistol match and thought I would give it a try.....Just trying to get a jump on any spring events that might come up in my area and be ready for them.
Thanks
Landcruzr
Old January 30, 2010, 01:34 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...never competed in a pistol match..." Go anyway. Both IDPA and USPSA are shooting games. The more experienced shooters will help you in any way they can. Shooters are just like that.
"...what mods if any are allowed or recommended..." Go to their respective sites and read the rules for each. Might as wel lread the IPSC rules as well.
http://www.idpa.com/
http://www.uspsa.org/
http://www.ipsc.org/
Shot a stock 10mm Delta Elite at a pin shoot when they first came out, long ago. A Colt Rep was there(a very good bunch of guys. Met one at Second Chance too. He had an M16K. FA 9mm SMG verison. He didn't care that he came back to his table to find two guys loading his mags with our IVI ball.). Provided the pistol and ammo(Norma. There was nothing else then). The guy knew it wouldn't compare with gussied up pin guns(didn't with my ungussied up Series 70 Government either) and that the availability of ammo was low. Not bad considering the slightly heavier felt recoil. On par with hot .45's.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Bclass10

IPSC with Delta Elite

Shot mine for years in competition. Went to Glock 20 for high capacity but shot the Delta faster, with greater accuracy. 10mm shooters get all their brass back. No one else wants it. When reloading the 10 for IPSC you load DOWN to major...to .40 S&W velocity, in order to minimize recoil yet score well. One could use a good after market .40 cal. barrel to make use of cheaper brass but 10mm brass is so strong that you get nearly unlimited loading when down loaded to .40 velocity. It is not that different than shooting any other major caliber 1911. Do not hesitate. Competition is a blast!
Old April 26, 2011, 03:43 PM   #4
RickB

I've shot my Delta in both IDPA and USPSA. Typical mods for both sports would include improved sights, trigger jobs (if necessary), extended thumb safeties, beavertail grip safeties, magwell funnels . . . that's a start. 10mm could be a really great competition cartridge, but the shooting sports evolved away from it, so it's almost never seen. In USPSA, you can make major power factor with .40, so you don't need the extra capability of the 10, and in IDPA, there's no advantage for using ammo more powerful than 9mm, so again, nobody shoots the 10. You can load up some wimpy rounds, say, 180 grains at 940fps for USPSA, and load the same bullet to an even wimpier 800fps for IDPA, though you'll probably have to change to an eleven-pound recoil spring for reliable function. In USPSA Single Stack division, capacity is limited to eight rounds per magazine, so additional capacity is no advantage, but in IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol, the limit is ten rounds per mag, so you will be one round short even if you have 9-rounders. Not a big deal. I shot an entire season with 9-round mags in ESP, and found it was, as often as not, an advantage to start each stage with an even number of rounds in the gun - nine plus one in the chamber - rather than an additional round that caused a lot of reloads to fall in the middle of a target rather than between targets.