The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 24, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Jim March

An interesting batch of 2" 38 S&W SIXguns has turned up...

Robinson Arms in TN has scored a large batch of S&W 64s with 2" barrels and roundbutt grips, previously owned by the California Dept. of Corrections.

These are K-frame stainless sixguns in 38Spl. They're pre-lock, dating from the late 1980s to early 1990s manufacture, mostly.

Robinson is claiming that they're "low mileage" in terms of wear and honestly, given the agency they come from, that's likely the case with most of these critters!

Prices seem to run under $400 with some variances, $10 shipping to the lower 48, not legal in MA or California .

Link:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.ht...limittostate=&

This is Robinson's listings for S&W revolvers...there's 100 entries and most appear to be this beastie .

The only downsides are:

* Grips might need either swapping or a Tyler T-adapter for some (most?) hands. But that's not hard to come by as they use the round butt setup which is easiest to find grips for.

* Short ejector rod means a slightly slow reload.

Upsides:

* Stainless means that any minor scratches can be polished out by the user. Use the stuff used to polish chrome car rims . BUT note that any excess will have to be cleaned out throughly, so that means a sideplate-off detail strip.

* SIX shot snubby, not five!

* Fundamentally a very, very good gun. Plenty strong enough for the caliber, in fact I would have no problem shooting fair amounts of Buffalo Bore's stoutest 158+P-from-hell stuff. This is more or less a perfect platform for that class of load. The only ammo I would avoid in that gun is very old-stock police-issue 38+P+...as far as I'm aware, they're not making that sort of stuff any more in 38Spl.
Old April 24, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Webleymkv

Quote:
The only ammo I would avoid in that gun is very old-stock police-issue 38+P+...as far as I'm aware, they're not making that sort of stuff any more in 38Spl.
I believe Federal does still make their 147grn +P+ Hydra-Shok, but the velocity is not as impressive as one would think (sub-1000fps). I'm not sure about the pressure though.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Deaf Smith

Wow, and with Austraila dumping something like 10,000 2 1/2 S&W .357s on the market soon, I suspect there will be some price adjustments soon.

Happly for me I already have a 2 inch 64 and 2 1/2 M66.

We will see what happens to all these old wheelguns.

As for ammo, just use Buffalo Bore 158gr LSWHPs. I've choroned them out of my 2 inch 64 at 1000 fps. Good enough!

Deaf
Old April 24, 2011, 08:48 PM   #4
mnero

Jim said "The only ammo I would avoid in that gun is very old-stock police-issue 38+P+" You ain't kiddin! My friend and I went to the range and shot off a box of 50 of those; I was given them 12 years ago and the person who gave them to me(a retired county sheriff) warned me they were really old. Well not only did they dirty my revolver up something awful, but they were the most inaccurate things I ever shot, threw or even spit.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Technosavant

Sweet, thanks for the heads up. I have a 15-4 I've been thinking about having hard chromed for carry, and for not much more I could get one of these.

I'll have to have a hard look at them in the morning.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:23 PM   #6
Jim March

Quote:
Wow, and with Austraila dumping something like 10,000 2 1/2 S&W .357s on the market soon, I suspect there will be some price adjustments soon.
Huh. Didn't know that.

What I like about these is, it's unlikely the jailers shot 'em loose. These are very VERY likely to have been "carried a lot, shot very little".
Old April 24, 2011, 09:45 PM   #7
9mm

?

Why is it not legal to have a revolver in CA?

Quote:
Prices seem to run under $400 with some variances, $10 shipping to the lower 48, not legal in MA or California .
Old April 24, 2011, 09:51 PM   #8
MLeake

That surprised me, too. Maybe they were never drop-tested?
Old April 24, 2011, 10:00 PM   #9
9mm

what? CA needs drop testings?

That state is pretty messed up.
Old April 24, 2011, 10:09 PM   #10
mnero

It may be the safties or lack of trigger locks. Ca has some unusual restrictions.
Old April 24, 2011, 10:13 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
That surprised me, too. Maybe they were never drop-tested?
I believe this is correct. IIRC many older S&Ws fall into a legal "donut hole" in CA regulations: too old to have been drop-tested, yet not old enough to be C&R-eligible and therefore exempt from the drop-testing requirement.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Why is it not legal to have a revolver in CA?
It's legal to have a revolver in California, so long as it's the exact make, model, and version on this list. Most Smiths manufactured prior to 2000 are not there.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:12 PM   #13
9mm

^

Thats bs.. Why not before 2000?

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
Old April 24, 2011, 11:53 PM   #14
Jim March

OK. Here's how screwed up it is.

The ONLY people who can put a gun on the list is the manufacturer or an importer. And they have to pay a $100/yr "bribe" to keep it on the list. If they stop paying the fee, it magically becomes "unsafe" somehow, and becomes illegal for peons to buy.

Nobody else can pay the $100/yr. Nobody else can submit them for testing.

Once in a great while an importer has a big enough batch of "classic" Colt or S&W wheelguns to make it worth listing...but they only maintain the listed status long enough to sell their inventory, after that they stop paying the $100/yr and they become "unsafe again".

Worst of all: when S&W comes out with, say, the model 686-9, they have a vested interest in not paying the bounty on the 686-8 and prior - that way the used market can't compete with new gun sales. Of course, that means any dealer holding inventories of -8 or prior is screwed and has to dump 'em at a near-loss out of state or maybe offers a special deal to exempt cop buddies.

Yes, this is being litigated!!! In at least two venues actually, California and DC because post-Heller the DC city council adopted the California list.

Another thing: if you're a resident of another state and buy this, and then move into Cali with it, you're OK. This isn't the same situation as totally-banned-in-Cali guns like the .410 handguns (all, as "sawed off shotguns") or 11+ round mags.
Old April 25, 2011, 05:23 AM   #15
garryc

Quote:
Wait a minute! A country that confiscated millions of guns from it's own subjects and melted them down is selling these guns in a foreign country. Seems rather hypocritical doesn't it.

I imagine these will be in very good condition. I want to see them, and I bet Smith & Wesson makes a mint on them.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:53 AM   #16
orangello

If there are any links/updates on the revolvers from down under, i'd like to know about them.
Old April 25, 2011, 08:06 AM   #17
garryc

Quote:
If there are any links/updates on the revolvers from down under, i'd like to know about them.
Going back to the manufacturer. Who knows what will happen to them, maybe refurbished and sold or scraped. If I was S&W I'd look to keep them off the market. Maybe deep six them on the way over. Gun manufacturers have always been dead set against importing surplus firearms, and you can't blame them for that. A gun is such a durable good that it seriously impacts their market.

I've got a feeling that the Aussies know the end game on these. Otherwise, I'm sure surplus importers would pay more for them.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226038742048
Old April 25, 2011, 11:23 AM   #18
David the Gnome

It's tempting but the gun I really want is one of those Model 66 snubs. Maybe I'll wait and see what happens with these Australian guns.
Old April 25, 2011, 11:42 AM   #19
garryc

Hey, Smith &Wesson may even just destroy them in Australia. They might just box them up and sit on them. By the time they inspect and recondition they may well be to the point it's cheaper to make new ones.
Old April 25, 2011, 11:47 AM   #20
MLeake

Ever since discovering the beauties of the full-length ejector rod on 3" revolvers, I have little use for shorter barrels (and rods), with the sole exception of a single Airweight 442. (3" wouldn't work so well in a pocket.)

While they have their applications, I will pass on the 2" and 2.5" models.

Otherwise, I'd be tempted by both lots of revolvers. For those guys who like 2" and 2.5", these could be winners.
Old April 25, 2011, 12:47 PM   #21
Technosavant

I put in for one; sure, a 3" would be even better, but those are even harder to find.

I ran the numbers, and after shipping, one of these is only about $50-100 more than sending my 4" 15 to be chromed and tweaked, and hey, it's one more gun.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jim.
Old April 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #22
MLeake

Technosavant, did you include shipping costs for the re-finish in your estimate? If not, you are doing even better by ordering one of these.

Not only that, but you won't be without your own gun for however many weeks (had one re-finished a couple years ago, took around 10 weeks). Yet another plus.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:09 PM   #23
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Hey, Smith &Wesson may even just destroy them in Australia. They might just box them up and sit on them. By the time they inspect and recondition they may well be to the point it's cheaper to make new ones.
Or S&W can buy them all up and sell them as 'classics' 10 years from now. Who knows what is gonna happen to them.

Deaf
Old April 25, 2011, 06:43 PM   #24
David the Gnome

Considering S&W is giving them money for the Model 66's my guess is they won't be destroying them. The whole deal was they got money towards their new Glocks for trading the Model 66's back to S&W, meaning S&W gave them money for those Model 66's.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:05 PM   #25
alienbogey

I'm thinking of getting one to scratch the itch and I'm also thinking of using it for a project gun. I'm thinking of taking a buffing wheel to the SS to make it shine, and then maybe some fluff & buff of the internals, perhaps grips, etc. Questions:

1. Is a 64-2 suitable for that type of work, meaning they lend themselves to trigger smoothing and such? Parts and grips generally available, etc?

2. I assume that as these are stamped CDC I wouldn't be wrecking any future collectible or rarity? Are 64-2's common so my grandkids won't curse the day I took polishing compound to it?

3. Does the price ($389-$399) look fair? I'd rather pay less, of course, but a fair amount of my attraction to this is the SS so I can polish it up.

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by alienbogey; April 26, 2011 at 12:04 AM.