The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 23, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Servo77

Remington 700 Police LTR trigger question

Does the newer 700P LTR (the police model) have the "fix" that precludes it from discharging when the safety is disengaged. I have actually experienced the safety discharge before (fortunately no one was hurt...always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction) and since having that happened I have stayed clear of 700s. However, the 700P LTR fits exactly what I need and I want to pick one up.

Also, what kind of accuracy do you get out of yours (if you have one)? I will most likely be primarily feeding it 168 gr federal match. That should still work with the 1 in 12" twist, correct?
Old April 24, 2011, 12:02 AM   #2
trooper3385

I have an older 700 LTR and haven't had any problems with the trigger. I had a gunsmith work on it and it's down to around 2 lbs. As far as the accuracy, it been exceptional with the federal gold match 168 gr. Shoots the same hole on nearly all of my 3 shot groups. My 168 gr match king reloads are shooting anywhere from a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch group, but I haven't been able to beat the federal gold match. I haven't started working up any loads with hunting bullets, but I found the Nosler Custom ammo in the 165 gr accubonds shoot nearly identical to the federal gold match loads. I don't even need to make any scope adjustments. Cabelas had it on sale last year for like $28 a box and I picked up like 3 boxes and I still have 2 1/2 boxes left. I'll probably wait to start working on any loads till I shoot that up or find another good deal on it.
Old April 24, 2011, 01:29 PM   #3
warbirdlover

I would assume the new ones would have the new trigger. Remington is not going to release a 700 without it. (But I can't find that model listed anywhere on the Remington site).
Old April 25, 2011, 01:43 AM   #4
natman

Remington changed the trigger in 2007.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:43 AM   #5
geetarman

I have a 700P that I bought a couple of years ago. The stock trigger was creep free but heavy.

I had mine worked on and it is about 3 lbs. now.

The rifle really shoots great. Mine does prefer 168-175 gr. bullets and I have tried a lot of loads for the lighter bullets with poor results.

Geetarman