The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
jomdlcrs

270 Winchester hunting load

I'm looking to get some input on a good load for a 270 win. Before I started reloading I used 150 grain winchester power point and 150 grain remington core lokt. I have had great success with both. I have been pretty fortunate to not have very far shots mostly between 25 and 75 yds. I'm looking for a load and a bullet that will mushroom nicely within short or long distances. Any thoughts would be great on either a load or just a bullet. Bullet weight isn't a real big factor for me I will shoot whatever works best. Thanks for any input you may have.
Old April 23, 2011, 07:57 PM   #2
Rifletom

Got a load that works very well for me:
150gr Hornady SP, 57.0gr H-4831sc, Win cases and Fed LR primers. My MV avgs about 2900 fps. This is a very accurate load[and safe] in my rifle.
Old April 23, 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
PawPaw

Try the 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and Reloder 22 powder with a standard primer.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 23, 2011, 08:03 PM   #4
William T. Watts

I have removed the load data I post because it is in conflict (2grs over listed max/Nosler manual) with current production losts of H4831. My load data for my lot of 4831 was obtained in the early 1990's, apparently it had a slower burn rate. I will continue to use my old load data with this particular lot but reduce to a starting load when I purchase a new lot of powder. My most recent Nosler loading manual now lists 55gr as a max load with current lots of 4831 with a 150gr Partition. If I were to purchase current production H4831 powder I would use the most recent data available from Hodgdon & Nosler. Always start low with any loading data to be safe. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; April 24, 2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: My load data was for an old lot of H4831
Old April 23, 2011, 08:24 PM   #5
jomdlcrs

I guess I should of added that I will be hunting whitetail and I don't want to blow them apart the less damage the better.
Old April 23, 2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Rifletom

Then the 150 is the ticket. Hornady makes a round nose in 150 if you're interested.
Old April 23, 2011, 09:03 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Fresh off the bench:
.270 Win
140 gr Nosler Partition
New Win Brass
WLR Primer
3.280" OAL
55.0 gr RL-19 (This is a MAX load, in the Nosler manual. Work up from 51.0 gr.)
Should shoot clover leaf groups, from a good rest. (With variable wind and a bad rest, I was shooting 1.25" @ 100 yards.)

Or...
Same components
Same Specs
52.9 gr Ramshot Hunter (Low pressure, just over a published starting load.)
One ragged hole. (No wind, and a better rest. )

Whether you use them, or not... I will.
One of these will become my go-to 140 gr load for my .270. I just have to load enough for a couple more groups with each powder, to make up for the crappy rest I used with the RL-19.
Old April 23, 2011, 09:52 PM   #8
TGReaper

I have not been able to get the accuracy that I want from my Win.mod 70 Fwt. with either 140 or 150 gr.bullets.

My pet load is a 130 gr.Sierra Sp.bt ahead of 55.0 gr of IMR 4350 with ww std primers and Fed.cases.

This load crono's at 3005 fps.from my 22 inch bbl.

Approach with caution. This is .5 gr.under shown max., in a very old Lyman manual.

TGR
Old April 23, 2011, 10:20 PM   #9
603Country

My favorite (and only) load is a 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in front of 59 grains of H4831SC, using Remington cases and CCI primers. That's now above max in the Lyman 49th edition book, but wasn't above max when I first started using it (Lyman 46th edition). I just got some new Norma cases and will start the workup to new loads. I'm assuming that the chosen new loads will be below max (today's max). I've asked the question before, but is the new Lyman max load of H4831 due to today's powder quality or is it due to today's Lyman lawyers pursuing risk avoidance? I'm not just griping...that's a real question.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:37 AM   #10
Nevmavrick

The only problem I've had with the .270, was the 130gr bullets tend to detonate at thse close ranges. I use 150gr Sierra BTSP as my shots tend to be longer and the 150 reaches fine. If my shots are 200+, I'd be using a 130gr Sierra, or a Speer BT.
The Partition, especially the 150gr, should work fine at those short ranges. You might load them down to, say, 2200-2300fps. Accuracy is not a problem at 25-50yds, destruction is.
Have fun,
Gene
Old April 24, 2011, 07:47 AM   #11
hooligan1

What the heck is bullet detonation??? Yes the 130 grn Ballistic Tip is made for immediate destruction to animal tissue but Detonation at close range?? Deer are thin-skinned animals that usually go down quickly from a well placed bullet into the "boiler-room". Anyway while I'm still wiping up my morning java( that came from both nostrils) off my keyboard and computer screen, take this one to the bank. 130 grn BT, setting over 54 grns of IMR4350, that one shoots nicely out of my .270 win. Franken, I'm also going to try a "work-up" to that 140 grn Partition load you mentioned earlier.... Thanks! Nosler also makes a 130 grn Partition!!However Ballistic Tips are more accurate.

Last edited by hooligan1; April 24, 2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:05 AM   #12
jomdlcrs

Thanks everyone I am going to look the loads over and see what I think will suit me best. But thanks for all the input.
Old April 24, 2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Clark

I can get 3000 fps 150 gr with Re17 in a 22" barrel and 3050 fps with a 26" barrel.

But for mule deer to 500 yards it does not matter for me. They always fall down dead with 130 gr 2875 fps muzzle velocity.

Just hit them broadside in the front 1/3 of the body with a ballistic tip bullet. They will not go far without lungs.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 25, 2011, 04:41 AM   #14
Nevmavrick

Hooligan, I apologize for the keyboard/coffee! I can only think of that word to describe the effects of high velocity and fragile bullets on soft meat. The bloodshot meat is scattered with small pieces of copper jacket and REALLY BRUISED flesh that is no longer edible.
That is one reason I recommended using a heavy bullet and keeping the velocity down for those close ranges.
The BT was made for expansion at longer ranges, and when used up close expand all the way back to the little disc that is all that is left.
Accuracy?? You bet!! I've shot more than a few medium- and long-range rifle events using BTs. I used them because I believe they were the most accurate bullet I could get at the time. Match bullets were no better!
How much accuracy is required at 25-50yds?
With a partition about half of the bullet DOESN'T shatter.
Have fun,
Gene
Old April 25, 2011, 11:56 AM   #15
GeauxTide

I agree with the others that 130gr bullets at 3000fps are very "explosive" to the animal to 150 yards. You might try a medium rate powder, like 4064 or Varget, with a velocity no more than 2800. Then, determine which 130 or 150 groups the best. Hornady Interlocks in other calibers have given me great results. Cheap, too.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:19 PM   #16
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I agree with the others that 130gr bullets at 3000fps are very "explosive" to the animal to 150 yards.
That really depends on the bullet you are using, and how appropriate it is for the animal being hunted.

Even the classically-constructed 130 gr Core-Lokt has never given me "explosive expansion", on light game at close range (3,050 fps at the muzzle). In fact, I have been very impressed with penetration, expansion, bone-smashing, and reliability. However, they don't hold up on tougher game, like Elk.

This discussion just brings us back to one of the standard rules of hunting:
Choose the right bullet!

If you're hunting big game, don't use a varmint bullet.
If you're hunting Elk, don't use a "deer" bullet.
Most of all:
Know the expansion velocities of the bullet!
Don't load a bullet to 3,000 fps, if it is designed to expand between 1,800 fps and 2,700 fps, and your shots will likely be close range.
Old April 25, 2011, 04:53 PM   #17
Mike / Tx

I know most use slower powders in the .270 and for good reason, they develop higher velocities with lower pressures usually.

Back in the early 80's when my mom was still hunting, my pop retired and the folks who worked with him presented him with a Remington 700 in .270. The thing only weighs about 8# fully loaded and ready to hunt. Well pop was a die hard '06 buff, so we set up the rifle for my mom and I worked up a load, She had been using a sporterized SMLE for who knows how long. Well being she was in her mid 60's then and has always had neck issues from a car accident, I really was hesitant to crank up the velocity on her loads. So I picked one from the manual to try out.

I only had IMR-3031 on hand at the time so I worked it up to 46.5grs, which pushed the 130gr Nosler BT to right at 2800fps from this rifle. To date this load has dropped everything in it's tracks it has been put on, except for one feral hog my daughter shot at 385yds. The hog fell but it did manage to make it 50yds before piling up in a brush pile along the edge of a creek.

Recoil from this load is VERY mild and accuracy is outstanding. On deer it has not shown the damage typically associated with most BT loads. The reason is the lower velocity to begin with. Trust me when I say the BT is an awesome bullet when the velocity is high, but it is just as deadly at slower speeds as well, and you do not get the above mentioned carnage.

Since then I have shot many loads but I always have a box or two of these loaded up. The load I use with this rifle now is with Ramshot Hunter, and the 130gr SST. IT is pushing the envelope on the top end of the listed max, and is grouping around 1/2" at 200yds. IT will roll a 250# feral hog on impact at 350yds but up close it is pretty devastating if you hit solid on a shoulder. I haven't used it on deer, but as it stands now, IF I decided to shoot a deer, it would be one heck of a trophy, and I wouldn't be as overly concerned with damage as I would putting it on the ground.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:34 PM   #18
Colorado Redneck

130 SST doesn't explode or 'detonate'

I have shot several antelope with a fairly hot load with Hornady 130 gr SST. shot one through the boiler room at less than 100 yards, the exit hole was big enough to put my thumb in but the lungs were mushed up good. Another at well over 300 yards, took a few slow steps and fell and died. Same deal. bullet passed clear through. So I am not sure how these detonations occur. Maybe white tail are tougher than goats.
Old May 16, 2011, 04:13 PM   #19
FrankenMauser

I was just going to use a Private Message.... but hooligan doesn't accept them. So, here's an update on the re-testing of the load I posted:

----
.270 Win
140 gr Nosler Partition
New Win Brass
WLR Primer
3.280" OAL
55.0 gr RL-19 (This is a MAX load, in the Nosler manual. Work up from 51.0 gr.)
Clover-leaf groups. (see below)

.270 Win
Same components
Same Specs
52.9 gr Ramshot Hunter (Low pressure, just over a published starting load.)
One ragged hole. (see below)
----

Initial testing of this load was done between 37 and 41 degrees F.
The second round of testing was done at 67-69 degrees F.
The brass was now once-fired and FL sized for the second round of testing.

The load with Hunter powder gave me 3" to 5" groups, at the higher ambient temperature; rather than groups of "one ragged hole". With running groups*, the Hunter load was consistently horrible (5-7").

Yet, the load with RL-19 matched the previous round of testing (consistently just under 1" @ 100 yards) in slow fire, with variable winds. With running groups*, I was able to tighten that to 0.512". RL-19 definitely appears to be the better powder choice, regardless of initial performance in the rifle.

*Since this is a hunting load, I need to know what it will do in a rapid fire situation - say, some one makes a bad shot, and the SHTF. My "running groups" are fired as fast as I can single-load the rifle (to prevent bullet deformation in the magazine), and acquire the target. For example:
-A 0.982" group was slow-fired over 8 to 10 minutes.
-The 0.512" group was fired in less than 20 seconds.

It can be very enlightening to see a "great" load go to crap, when rapid-fired.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:31 PM   #20
stinkybriches

i use 140 grn hornady btsp with reloader 19 or 4064 with a win LR mag primer.
the accuraccy is there in my rifle with both powders.
h4895 was so so.