The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2011, 12:54 PM   #1
tomtom25

1911 target pistol whats best?

Ive recently decided that i would like to own and become profecient with a 1911 .45acp target pistol and have been looking at para ord 14/45 long tom with match grade barrel etc. . I currently own an xd .45acp tactical 5inch designed for more or less combat and would like anyones opinion on their experience with same
Old April 23, 2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca

Colt Gold Cup.

Or toss another $1000 into the pot and get a Les Baer with the 1.5" at 50 yards guaranty and adjustable sights.
Old April 23, 2011, 06:21 PM   #3
bitttorrrent

I love my Dad's Taurus 1911 - but probably just because i like the 1911 format. People tend to dis Taurus quality - he did not pay a lot for it - but i just like it and seems to be a good quality also in appearance. He also has a Springfiled armory that was custom built and shoot on a dime. He just has a huge laser scope thing on it and that's why i don't use it a lot.

Anyway, i will get my own eventually, and was looking at the exact para 14/45. Looks very nice and i like the high capacity even though its not original to the format.

Look at Kimber, STI is supposed to be one of the best. There are so many.

Some of you more experienced chime in! I am new to this purchasing but have been shooting since i was able to hold a gun.
Old April 23, 2011, 06:32 PM   #4
Officer's Match

Call CJ and get you a 1.5" Les Baer on order while his sale is going on ('till 4/30/2011). Plainjane Premier II with adjustable sights, and you'll have as good as (sane) money can buy (about $1800). Below that, no need to spend any more than the <$800 Springfield Armory Range Officer. Word to the wise: avoid the Para Ordnance.
Old April 23, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Rogervzv

I have a Colt Gold Cup and it is so accurate with such tight groups that it is scary. Love that gun.
Old April 23, 2011, 08:42 PM   #6
NJgunowner

I like Dan Wesson 1911's myself.
Old April 23, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
9x19

Para would be way down the list for me.

I recently bought a Springfield Armory Range Officer, and it is very well put together and more accurate than any other $750 1911 I can think of.

Springfield Range Officer
Old April 23, 2011, 09:10 PM   #8
drail

Les Baer. Les used to run Springfield Armory's custom shop. He knows what is needed to get the most accuracy from a 1911. You won't need to customize it or replace any parts.
Old April 23, 2011, 09:27 PM   #9
SauerGrapes

In the $800 and under catagory, SA Range officer. My next jump would be a semi custom.
My Range Officer shoots 2 1\4" groups from sand bags @ 25yds. If you want more accuracy than that, get a semi custom.
I have a Taurus, while it's not a bad gun, for a little extra, the SA RO is a better gun.
I would stay away from Para also. We have 3 at the club, and their all tempermental.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old April 23, 2011, 11:45 PM   #10
38 Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer's Match
Call CJ and get you a 1.5" Les Baer on order while his sale is going on ('till 4/30/2011). Plainjane Premier II with adjustable sights, and you'll have as good as (sane) money can buy (about $1800). Below that, no need to spend any more than the <$800 Springfield Armory Range Officer. Word to the wise: avoid the Para Ordnance.
Big +1 to that.
Old April 24, 2011, 06:16 AM   #11
Pilot

How much do you want to spend? Several good choices here, but I'd start with a Colt Gold Cup, which can still be had for just under $1K. You can always have it tuned should you want.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:08 AM   #12
rodfac

Get the Colt...the rest are copies...it's the standard that all are judged by...resale is great if you tire of it...not that you will...mine (5 now) have been with me for 35 years...the cpl that got away went to my two sons. Any custom smith can work on them...with no mickey mouse explanations why the "frame is a little big to fit this...on" etc. Parts are available for the asking from numerous sources...'bout covers it...there are other opinions...Rod
Old April 24, 2011, 11:30 AM   #13
BigJimP

I have at least 25 semi-auto handguns ...and hands down the top 2 guns in my safe are both Wilson Combat 1911's - a 5" CQB model in .45 acp / and a 5" Protector model in 9mm ....I have well over 20,000 and 35,000 rds thru each of them respectively...and they'll still easily shoot at their 1" guarantee at 25 yards ( not offhand / in my hands ) ...but still awfully good..

in my safe:
#3 gun would be an Ed Brown Kobra carry
#4 Sig X-Five in .40S&W
#5 Kimber Gold Combat stainless II in .45 acp

a distant 6th - Les Baer Monolith 5" in 9mm ( fit and finish / and reliability primarily ) ..
7 thu .... some more 1911's from Kimber, etc ...and some Sigs 226's and 239 's .....
Old April 24, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Amin Parker

I agree with the Colt Gold Cup.

I guess for the most accuracy you must go the custom route.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old April 24, 2011, 12:28 PM   #15
drail

Colt is hardly "the standard by which others are judged."

Last edited by drail; April 24, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old April 24, 2011, 04:04 PM   #16
KyJim

Get a Les Baer with a 1.5 inch guarantee (at 50 yards), probably the Premier II. While other production guns may sometimes attain this accuracy, they're not guaranteed to be this accurate. Baer ships a test target.

Added: If a cost of a Baer is out of reach, look at the STI Trojan.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 24, 2011, 04:09 PM   #17
WVsig

What range are you looking to become proficient at? Not to be rude but can you maintain 1.5" groups at 50 yards. I can't. So its not worth the extra coin for me to pay for that. I can say with 100% certainty that for me it is never the pistol is it always the shooter.

What kind of groups are you getting with the XD?
-Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.-Frank Zappa
Old April 24, 2011, 04:10 PM   #18
Twoglocks

I have good experience with Para Ordnance 45 PXT, I sold this gun 5 years ago and just recently bought it back from anothe store (same gun same serial #). smooth like glass and trigger is about 2.5 lbs from the start.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:25 PM   #19
Stevie-Ray

I'd go Colt Gold Cup, no question.
Old April 24, 2011, 07:44 PM   #20
KyJim

Quote:
What range are you looking to become proficient at? Not to be rude but can you maintain 1.5" groups at 50 yards. I can't. So its not worth the extra coin for me to pay for that. I can say with 100% certainty that for me it is never the pistol is it always the shooter.
I can't attain that level of accuracy either and don't have a 1.5 inch Baer. But, if the user is responsible for 2 inches of inaccuracy and the gun 1.5 inches, that's a total of 3.5 inches. If the same shooter uses a gun that is accurate to 3 inches, that's a total of 5 inches. So, a more accurate gun should make for a more accurate shooter, even if the shooter cannot shoot to the gun's full potential.

Confession: I am not a bullseye shooter and did not stay at a hotel last night.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Mike38

Quote:
But, if the user is responsible for 2 inches of inaccuracy and the gun 1.5 inches, that's a total of 3.5 inches. If the same shooter uses a gun that is accurate to 3 inches, that's a total of 5 inches.

Quote:
dude, you cant just add those numbers and say that what his profficiency is going to be, thats crazy! he might have a 5" group gun and shoot terribly, but he might shoot 1" groups just because of the movements that occur in his sight allignment.
I’m sorry “Dude” but you are wrong. A 5 inch pistol in the hands of a person with a 5 inch wobble zone will print 10 inch groups on paper, on a good day. A 1.5 inch pistol in the hands of that same shooter will print 6.5 inch groups.

Most beginners have more like a 8 inch wobble zone. So that 5 inch pistol will print 13 inch groups. It's possible to get smaller, but it would be pure luck.

Most “out of the box” standard M1911’s are closer to 8 inch pistols at 50 yards. Put that in the hands of your average beginner, and with 16 inch groups, you’d be damn lucky to hit paper, let alone the black. Top it off with a gritty, creepy six pound trigger, and you’d be damn lucky to hit paper at 25 yards.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:49 PM   #22
Officer's Match

The idea here is right - most shooters (count me too) need all the help they can get. More accurate guns would apply as help.
Old April 24, 2011, 08:54 PM   #23
Auto426

Quote:
I’m sorry “Dude” but you are wrong. A 5 inch pistol in the hands of a person with a 5 inch wobble zone will print 10 inch groups on paper, on a good day. A 1.5 inch pistol in the hands of that same shooter will print 6.5 inch groups.

Most beginners have more like a 8 inch wobble zone. So that 5 inch pistol will print 13 inch groups. It's possible to get smaller, but it would be pure luck.
Those numbers would be a worse case scenario, since the shooter may wobble in one direction while the gun shoots off to the opposite direction. Those two factors would cancel each other out and result in a good hit. There are many factors that go into making a good hit, and they are not always going to compound on top of each other. However, the original assessment is still right. An inaccurate shooter with a very accurate gun is going to be more accurate than an inaccurate shooter with a moderately accurate gun.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I would suggest the Colt Gold Cup. It's a quality gun built with quality parts right here in the U.S.A.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:39 PM   #24
Officer's Match

I'm surprised at all the Gold Cup recommendations, and I say that as a Colt fan. I've had several GC's and I really don't think they are that big a deal. Not even remotely in the league as a Baer, and a good ways behind the current Dan Wessons or a SA TRP/Trophy Match/Range Officer.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:42 PM   #25
ltc444

I will address wobble first. all shooters wobble. What you must seek to do, as every Bullseye shooter knows, is accept the wobble. SFC Reed trained us to wobble in a figure 8 pattern. If you do this you will have an equal distribution of hits across the target. In matches involving a single shot head to head I loose. But in competion involving fifty or one hundred shot courses I beat these same dead eyes.

As to the best accurate pistol. Purchase a good basic Mil spec pistol. Find a retired Army or Marine National Match armorer. He/she would probably love to build your pistol to NMC Spec. for a nominal fee.

Additionally, the Armorer can tune the pistol to meet your specific needs. This something you can't get from any of the custom houses without paying big bucks. American Handgunner ran a series of articles on how to build your own super accurate 1911 a number of years ago. They provided me with a reprint for mailing cost.

When I was shooting on the 5th Infantry Division Combat Pistol team, the NCOIC of the 705th Maint Bn. Small Arms Repair Shop built me a, NMC spec pistol using a rack grade 1911 and the spare parts bin. Not a single part was stamped NMC.

In head to head competition, my pistol beat a Clark custom which cost over a thousand dollars. That was real money in 1977.