The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 18, 2011, 09:47 AM   #1
new_scopeshooter

bushmaster carbon15

Anyone have any experiance with the carbon 15 ar15 guns. I just got one on a trade deal. Don't know much about them. I'm geting lots of mixed thoughts from the LGS
Old April 18, 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Vt.birdhunter

I own one,love it.

Do some searches on Google: Carbon 15 problems, Carbon 15 malfunctions, etc. You wont come up with many bad reviews of the BUSHMASTER Carbon 15 line of rifles.
The early Carbon 15 rifle was built by Professional Ordnance; those rifles had problems.
Bushmaster took ownership of the design and starting producing C15 rifles in a variety of configurations. These rifles are considered reliable.

Ive heard stove-piping can cause a dent to form in in upper where the shell is smacked into the receiver. Ive fired thousands of rounds through my C15 type 21

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/17424

I don't have many stovepipes, and those Ive had haven't left a mark. Its possible that the few, if any rifles that "dent" happened to, were fed steel cased ammo and were prone to stovepipes from lack of maintenance.

I love my C15, 4lbs, match barrel shoots 1MOA, very very effective muzzle brake. Carrys like a BB gun.

The biggest Con against the C15 rifles is that they are not entirely compatible with other AR uppers and accessories; I might be wrong here.

Ive looked and looked; there are very few well founded complaints against these rifles. Not sure what type of C15 you have but used they go for $700-800 I think. If you got one in trade for around that your lucky to own it IMO. Good luck.

BTW- mine loves 55gr ammo as a general rule of thumb. 62 and heavier bullets open my groups up.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:05 AM   #3
new_scopeshooter

I got about 600 in mine. Has a bushnell red dot and is of the m4 type! Thanks for the info
Old April 18, 2011, 11:12 AM   #4
goodspeed(TPF)

I have worked on Bushmaster "AR-15" rifles for over 20 years and have to say that the materials, quality and workmanship have not been consistent. I have not been impressed. I would never own one as a serious piece, however as a range-toy/plinker I might consider it given a low enough price point. And I mean "LOW".

That being said, I had the opportunity recently to test out one of Bushmasters new "Superlight" pencil barrel Carbon-15 carbines that they has on sale at Gander last Turkey day for $599.99 and have to say I am so far impressed with this particular sample. Between three of us we have exactly 3000 rounds (1000 rounds each per day over 3 days as of last Sunday) through this particular sample and have not had one single malfunction. It was purchased as a test mule and we hope to have 12,000 rounds through it by summer. We are using cheap American Eagle for the first 6000 and will switch to even cheaper steel case for the last 6000.

We are using the cheap red dot that came with it and the 20 round Thermold mags that CDNN has on sale right now. We wanted it as light as possible for a specific purpose. We have a Holosight and P-Mags on stand-by.

Again, I am not a Bushmaster guy, and overall have not been impressed with the "AR-15" type rifles/carbines that Bushmaster has put out over the years. I do not like Bushmaster...

But I am starting to like THIS Bushmaster Carbon-15. I do have a bad taste in my mouth from what I have all seen over the years, however I am trying to keep an open mind. The jury is still out for me but I will keep you posted if you like. -Goodspeed

EDIT: Hows about everyone toss up a picture of their Carbon-15 soes we can see iffin we're comparing apples to apples? I'll get one taken and post it up later so you all can see what I am working with.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml

Last edited by goodspeed(TPF); April 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old April 18, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Vt.birdhunter

C15 Type 21.jpg

QDS tritium.jpg

Yankee Hill QDS BUIS with 24/7 tritium stripe front post and 2 dot tritium rear.
Full spare parts kit, lube, chamber brush in stock and grip.

When I first got this rifle I mounted a 24x scope on it, darn thing truly is a tackdriver...even with its 7lb trigger
Old April 18, 2011, 01:17 PM   #6
new_scopeshooter

Yes please keep me posted on how it holds up! And ur overall opinion
Old July 10, 2011, 06:02 PM   #7
goodspeed(TPF)

Here is a bit of an update.

Recently we had the opportunity to put 1000 rounds of brown bear ammunition through this same carbine. It was properly cleaned and lubed before we began shooting and we re-lubed it at the 500 round interval. This took place over a 6 hour period. Still not a single malfunction to speak of with this particular combo. We hope to put 1000 more Brown Bear down range soon. Will keep you posted. -Goodspeed

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old July 10, 2011, 08:28 PM   #8
tAKticool

I have a real interesting Bushmaster called an AK Carbine ... 14.5" barrel with the AK74 muzzle brake for bboth legal length and awesome recoil and muzzle climb reduction. However it does create intense loudness and extreme fireballs.

It is also A3 stye so the handle removes and gives it a pic rail on the top of receiver. the rest is all Magpul stuff and regular AR generalities. I love the Bushmaster man and when I found out how much the internet commandos hate it, i loved it more.

I would love an ACR or perhaps, Bushmaster makes so many many varities of ARs I could choose another style.

u will love them, and IF soem part breaks THEN U COULD if you WANT choose to upgrade that part to a "Better" more militaryish part, say if you HAVE TO get a new Bolt CaRRIEr group wait till you shoot the BCG out then maybe buy a more better one, same with the extractor springs etc. whateer.
Old July 11, 2011, 04:13 PM   #9
christcorp

Bushmaster was at one time, one of the premier AR's. Part of the "Standard". Colt and Bushmaster were almost synonymous. About the time of the AWB; circa 1994; from that point on, Bushmaster lost a lot of it's quality. Probably because there was a lot less demand for AR's. Since then, I've noticed 3 distinct issues with any of the Bushmaster AR rifles. 1) They are the #1 pickiest AR when it comes to ammo. Doesn't matter if it's brass or steel case. It likes what it likes, and that's the end of it. 2) Consistency. #1 is probably related to this, but Bushmasters are some of the most inconsistent rifles I've ever seen. Some walk on water and some almost melt in water. You never know what you've got, until you've got it. 3) Bushmaster is proud of their past. They still charge as much for their rifles, percentage, as they did when they were part of "The Standard". At one time, it was acceptable to pay more for a Bushmaster than anything else. Along with colt. Now; I consider bushmaster towards the bottom of my quality list; along with Rock River, DPMS, Olympic, and Century. Unfortunately, they live off their reputation, and people still pay way too much for them.
Old April 22, 2013, 09:47 AM   #10
ffffg

flat top not fastened on properly

I bought a bushy carbon 15 about 2-3 weeks ago.. the flat top has one screw fastening the flattop to the top of the gun in a sliding dovetail..
I noticed right away the scope was not solid even with a tight screw.. no dovetail can be tight enough for much accuracy...

Last time out i had to move the scope back so i could watch the screw.. Id fire a shot, tighten the screw, fire a shot tighten the screw etc.. really ugly groups at 50 yards...

Ill send it in and hope it works until i get the rra predator persuit i just ordered. Ill have about a a year wait or more for that...
my rings have 14 screws in it to hold the scope solid for that gun... the flatop holds all that on t with one small screw.

recently i just got a aluminum 10 round .223 magazine from 44 mag stamped D & H OCONOMOWOC WI USA. the interior is shorter than specs so it wont hold my 69 sierra loads that the gun could do well with if it will hold the scope steady. Nice mag, just short interior.. I think the aluminum is thinner and the cheap follower needed to be snug, who knows,, works well but not up to specs ..
beware of the rush of some of these companies to put items on the market without proper discovery time in design, manufacturing, and testing...
A pawnbroker i talked to yesterday said the c15 was junk... But ill give them a chance to fix it...

If it breaks down again which bushmaster said was rare once it was returned, Ill have it fixed again and get rid of it and post some nasty reviews about bushmaster... Im sorry, but im very dissapointed....dave

edit, the d and h aluminum 10 round clip with accept bullets of coal 2.255. I have other clips that will not accept rounds any longer of a different make.
this may be normal i dont know, but ive read that a longer inside length was standard, if i am wrong please note it below so others will not avoid this otherwise very nice magazine..

Last edited by ffffg; April 25, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old April 22, 2013, 05:37 PM   #11
patriotic

C15

Sorry to hear about your problem with your C15 I am sure Bushmaster will fix it. I love my C15 and have had no problems with it for the past year I have been shooting it. Scope rail is nice and tight.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:57 PM   #12
seansean1444

I had one and hated it wouldn't shoot steel cases ammo wasn't very accurate but great for plinking. I've herd great things and bad about them hopefully u got a better one unlike me
Old April 23, 2013, 08:34 AM   #13
EAJ702

Although I've read second-hand about so called problems, I purchased this Bushmaster Carbon 15 9MM Carbine years ago and have never experienced any issues with it. Economical and fun to shoot.

Old May 20, 2013, 08:40 AM   #14
ffffg

more bushy problems

Ive been trying to return the carbon 15 with the problem listed above(loose scope mount on the upper). I am semi retired and dont put a daily effort into getting this returned. I wish i had becouse I still cant send it in.. The hold up will become apparent when you finish reading this post. I called and a nice guy took my email and address then was to send me an email with return instructions and retrun lable. after a week I called them and and they said they had the email wrong and they fixed it.. I looked for the email for another week and called them and they still had it wrong..

(When i first called they said they did not work for bushmaster but were an ouside source for them to do this type of work).. Last saturday i downloaded the postage papers and it HAD MY WRONG ADDRESS!!!! These guys obvously were hired for being polite, and cheap labor, not for knowing what is going on in the world, or haveing any office experience..

Heres the big thing that worries me about bushmaster.. The return is going to ILLION NEW YORK, TO REMINGTON.. This was never widly publisized probably due to the marlin lever action nightmare that still persists.. (I will not buy another marlin lever gun)

I have a couple rem 700s that are the finest production rifle you can get, in that class anyway... beautiful rifles in another age of time.

luckily im not fanancially burdened by this, but ive ordered a rra predator persuit with after this breakdown and may have a year wait for that, so I will have to live with the carbon 15 untill the rra gets here.. I will contiue adding succeses and problems with this rifle unill I get it fixed right or rid of it.. dave
Old May 20, 2013, 08:41 PM   #15
mrvco

I'd just crank that screw down, sell it for whatever you can get, spend $1,100 on a Colt 6920 and shoot the heck out of it.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:06 PM   #16
ffffg

Im a pawnbroker and loose alot of money by telling the new owner what hes getting. But in the long run we make more by gaining the trust of our customers..

Ive ordered a 16 inch rra predator persuit when this happened and will try to get the bushy fixed and sell it when the new gun comes. if i cant fix it then im going to loose alot of money... I may be able to epoxy the durn thing or somthing as another said they used golf club handle glue..

Oh well thats how it goes some days.. No
use getting a heart attack on something i cant do anything about.. Iv finnally sent it out tonight and that phase is done with... dave

one note, if i had used the lightweight red dot site the gun came with i may have not had the problem. A varmit scope 2 inches high puts alot of torque and back and forth force on the top rail....dave

Last edited by ffffg; May 20, 2013 at 11:29 PM.