The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 19, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1
GregInAtl

Sig 226 9mm 10rd/15rd mag

I am thinking of buying a Sig 226 9mm. I noticed, when looking on line, that some of them come with 10rd mag's and and some have 15rd mags. Are they basically the same gun aside from that? I assume that one could purchase a 15rd mag that would fit it only comes with a 10rd mag
Old April 19, 2011, 11:21 AM   #2
NJgunowner

They offer different magazines to comply with the laws of some states.
Old April 19, 2011, 11:28 AM   #3
BigJimP

NJgunowner is right ....

but all the more reason why you should buy the gun from your local dealer / so you get good advice ...good service. Shopping online is killing the local dealers ...and I think its sad.
Old April 19, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
GregInAtl

Quote:
but all the more reason why you should buy the gun from your local dealer
I prefer that too, so long as they have what I 'm looking for. I have bought all of the guns I own from my local dealer and have yet to purchase online. I would only do that if I couldn't find what I want. Besides, I would rather see it first before I buy it rather than rely on a picture on the internet.

My local dealer's prices are pretty hard to beat, anyway
Old April 19, 2011, 11:47 AM   #5
BarryLee

I believe there are magazines with capacities that exceed 15 available for the P226. I am pretty sure there is a 20 round magazine available and there may be other sizes also.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old April 19, 2011, 11:48 AM   #6
NJgunowner

I'm kind of meh about local buying. The more money I save, the more I can buy. If you can buy 3 for the price of 2, why wouldn't you?

What is really killing the local dealers is the distributors who give huge discounts to large retailers but not the mom and pop shops. Frankly we need these mom and pop places to get themselves on the web as well to increase their sales, or form into a group to collectively bargain with the manufacturers or distributors to get better pricing. Several hospitals do this for example to get better pricing on equipment (the one I work at does).

This would drive the prices back down while increasing sales. I find it silly that a gun I could have bought new for $350 5 years ago has jumped to over $500 or more now. I know shipping costs are higher and all that, but really.
Old April 19, 2011, 12:00 PM   #7
GregInAtl

Quote:
I believe there are magazines with capacities that exceed 15 available for the P226. I am pretty sure there is a 20 round magazine available and there may be other sizes also.
Yeah, I'm just trying to make sure that I don't buy a gun that comes with a 10rd mag and then find out it's a different size gun from the one tha comes with a 15 rd mag and 10rds is all it will take

Quote:
Frankly we need these mom and pop places to get themselves on the web as well to increase their sales, or form into a group to collectively bargain with the manufacturers or distributors to get better pricing.
The local dealer I buy from also sells on line. They also have the lowest prices in town, not co-incidently
Old April 19, 2011, 01:03 PM   #8
imp

Don't worry Greg. The gun is exactly the same, and will accept all magazines designed for it. Its just the magazines that are different, and that is so the retailer can ship it to communist states like california, illinois, etc...
Old April 19, 2011, 03:11 PM   #9
BigJimP

I'm glad you're buying locally - its a smart choice in my opinion.

The 15 rd mags - are standard on Sig 226's in 9mm in my area / and I don't see any reason to go to a 20rd mag - it changes the balance of the gun too much ...makes it clumsy. But I would still say go to your local dealer and discuss it with them.

The issue of buying locally vs the internet is for another thread.../ but in my view - if you don't buy locally - then don't go by and fondle their merchandise / and don't ask their advice ...(ask your internet dealer about mags, etc ) if that's where you're going to buy. And no, I don't buy off the internet - my local dealer can order anything I want ...and at a price where he can make a buck / so he's there if or when I need him for accessories, etc.
Old April 19, 2011, 03:57 PM   #10
GregInAtl

Code:
And no, I don't buy off the internet - my local dealer can order anything I want
My local dealer has got the cheapest prices around, anyway. They are not that much higher than on-line. Some of the web sites even tell you that the picture is not of the actual gun that is for sale. I think they just get it off the mfgr's website.
Old April 19, 2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

They both work in the P226. I prefer to use Mec-Gar 18 round magazines. the don't stick out a lot from the bottom of the grip like the 20 round magazines do. You can load anywhere from 1 to 18 rounds and they work well. The price is also lower the the price of factory 15 round magazines too. I don't care to have the 10 round ones if it can be avoided. I don't plan to ever move to one of the states that only allow a maximum of 10 round magazines in my future.
Old April 20, 2011, 08:26 AM   #12
NJgunowner

I'm about 85% sure the "factory" mags are made by Mec-gar anyway
Old April 20, 2011, 09:03 AM   #13
JerseyDrez

BigJimP: but all the more reason why you should buy the gun from your local dealer / so you get good advice ...good service. Shopping online is killing the local dealers ...and I think its sad.

I understand local shops have 'overhead' and whatnot, but a lot of my local shops around me are just plain ripping people off.

One of my local shops had a CZ 75b in for $899. WHAT!? Ok...and when I ask why is it priced so high, the employee answers with, "Well we need to make some money off it you know."

Oh ok, then let me find the same gun online for $550 (and with transfer fee to my FFL and background check), get it for $600.

Maybe if local shops didn't price their guns so damn high they wouldn't have to worry about online shops.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old April 20, 2011, 11:04 AM   #14
Constantine

::cough::CALIFORNIA::cough::

Get the SIG, it's beautiful. Just got mine after long wanting it. I just posted this, but saw your thread and want to tempt you by how happy I am
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old April 20, 2011, 11:16 AM   #15
BigJimP

Ok, Jersey ....I'll accept what you're saying based on prices in your area ....a $ 300 difference is a lot on a $ 600 gun...

I have dealers in my area I don't like / and some I do ...and I spend my money with the shops I like.

In my area the internet vs local dealers on a $ 600 gun is often less than $50 ...and to buy off the internet and save $50 is ridiculous in my view. I have a buddy that owns and runs a gunshop ...he sees the same guys month after month --- shopping in his store, asking his sales staff for advice ...and they never buy ...he knows who they are... I keep telling him he should charge them $ 50 an hour for consultation ...( cash up front / let them run a tab ) ...when its at zero - pay the man again ...and then ask more questions..)

In his case ...he doesn't advertise it ...but he has 2 different price level markups ...one for "the browsers" ....and one for his "repeat customers" .../ I respect the profit margin he has to make to pay his overhead and make a living ...and he'll make me a deal when he can ...and as a result, in the last couple of years, I've bought 3 of the 5 new guns I've bought from him ...and he's handled all my special orders ...for the last 10 yrs ...