The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 3, 2016, 11:00 PM   #1
bpthomsen

Looking for REAL 460 S&W Experiences

Hello, all.

I recently purchased a 10.5" Performance Center .460 S&W XVR.

I am looking for recent experiences in reloading (primers, powder charges, bullets) for plinking, accuracy and hunting with this revolver. I have read many posts and replies ranging from 2005 to 2012, but have not found much current information.

So far, I have blown up clay pigeons, milk jugs, rocks, dirt clods, logs and all that stuff. I'm probably past the "let's see what this thing can do and blow up." I've seen the gel, wood and watermelon YouTube videos and have duplicated a lot of them. I now want to begin exploring accuracy and ballistics so I can begin using this handgun for hunting.

A little history- I use the Hodgdon Reloading data and Hornady reloading manuals for my reloads. However, I feel that I am sort of winging it- starting from the minimum loads and working them up to just before ejecting the shells gets difficult. Is that what everyone else is doing?

I haven't purchased a scope for it, yet, either. I'm interested in what you guys are using for optics. I'm sure that a scope will be necessary for me to take this revolver to its limit.

Please, reply only if you have experience reloadong the 460 S&W. I've already read and heard all the theoretical stuff. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bpthomsen; July 4, 2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old July 4, 2016, 04:21 AM   #2
TMD

I sold my 10.5" PC model a few years ago and don't have any data left but here's a few tips. If you plan on scoping it you'll need 3 rings. With only two the scope will shift. I used warn steel rings. I started with a Nikon Monarch scope and broke two of them. Nikon replaced them both and each time said their scope would hold up to the recoil, nope. Switched to a Burris and no more scope issues. For a while my pet load was a max charge of Lil'Gun with a 300gn Hornady XTP. That load was pushing a tad over 2000fps but was hard on brass but silly accurate, 2" groups @ 100 yards with a sold rest. I ignored all the hoopla about Lil'Gun being bad for revolvers and after a few hundred rounds ruined the barrel. Lesson learned. Thankfully S&W replaced it for free. Switched to h100 and no more throat erosion. Hope this helps.
Old July 4, 2016, 07:02 AM   #3
bpthomsen

Thanks, TMD. I was debating whether to get three rings. Now I know.

Your powder eperience was very helpful. I read about Lil Gun doing that, but still debated whether to use it or not. The debate is now over. Just wondering, what caused you to come to the conclusion that the gun's barrel was bad and that you had throat erosion? Is it visible? Did your accuracy get bad? I don't think or know if I have experiened it. But now, I'm wondering. I've used Lil Gun with my other handguns...
Old July 4, 2016, 07:10 AM   #4
TMD

Accuracy fell off drastically and it was very visible in the throat.
Old July 4, 2016, 07:50 AM   #5
jehu

I had a 8 3/4" and it was very accurate with Hornaday FTX ballistic tips but double hearing protection was needed. It eminated a basket ball size ball of flame at the front of the cylinder and recoil was harsh. Had to be careful to make sure nobody was standing beside me when firing and if some novice made the mistake of putting their hand anywhere near the front of the cylinder it would blow their finger tips off so I sold it since I really had no need of it anyway.
Old July 4, 2016, 08:25 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

It is standard safety procedure to always start at minimum recommended loads and work your way up. If this is too much of a hassle or too time consuming for you I would advise you to rethink about doing your own loading. This is a very basic part of the game and absolutely necessary, not only for your own safety but for anyone standing near you when shooting.
Old July 4, 2016, 10:55 AM   #7
dubsRedhawk

Crap! I was going to tell my story of hitting a Unicorn at 500 yrds!
Old July 4, 2016, 07:34 PM   #8
bpthomsen

Jetinteriorguy- I appreciate what you're saying about taking the time to work up loads. There are lots of different powders and bullets and primer options out there and three calibers that I can shoot out of this handgun. I'm not looking to unsafely skip over anything. I am looking to save time and money by not working up a load for every powder, bullet and primer. That is why i'm asking for some actual loads that others are using. I'll work up to and around those loads to save some time.

So far, I've worked up some loads using W296, H110 and Titegroup in 45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460 S&W. I had those powders already so I used them out of convenience. However, I am interested in what others are doing with their reloading for this caliber so I can go to that next level.

With this caliber, it's not like I can chat with one of my buddies, like I do with the other calibers I reload for. It's just not that common. That's why I'm reaching out.

Last edited by bpthomsen; July 4, 2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old July 4, 2016, 07:47 PM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I was hoping you would take my post the way it was meant, in rereading it I realized the way I came off was kind of snippy. It wasn't meant that way, I've been reloading for a little over 30 years and experienced how hubris sets in. Because of this I've had a couple close calls that luckily I caught in time and avoided serious incident. For me it was a wakeup call to relearn and follow procedure. Now the last thing I even consider is saving time and take my time working up loads, of course it helps that I love working on the loading bench.
Old July 4, 2016, 10:25 PM   #10
bpthomsen

No worries, Jet. I appreciate your counsel. If there's anything else you can think of, I'm all ears.
Old July 5, 2016, 01:31 AM   #11
Chaz88

On my 8&3/8" .460 I use a Leupoid VX-3. It is one of the very few reported to hold up to the .460. I also use Warne rings part # 2015 and a Warne rail to mount them on part # M500S. The rail and rings are made to have a locking lug that keeps the rings from moving. With the locking lug I only needed two rings and I used blue lock tight on them.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old July 7, 2016, 01:10 AM   #12
jackmoser65

Better off with a 6lb rifle than a 6lb X frame.
Old July 7, 2016, 07:39 AM   #13
98 220 swift

I never thought the 460 recoil was that bad. I had a weaver scope on mine with a 2 ring warne mount and they never moved. I traded it off because of the intense muzzle blast. When using it for hunting I used max 45 colt loads so I didnt have to wear 2x the ear protection. I finally decied why and traded it for a S&W model 29. I actually think the recoil on it is more than the X frame 460. Sorry dont have any data any more for when I reloaded for it. I know I used H110 and 296.
Old July 7, 2016, 12:47 PM   #14
Chaz88

"Better off with a rifle" will not work for everyone. I bought mine because I can not hunt with a rifle where I am.

If all you shoot is .45 Colt I would agree that the recoil is not bad at all. If you put in some .460 200 grn XTP's you are in another world for recoil. That is when spending some money on scopes and rings pays off.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old July 7, 2016, 12:59 PM   #15
98 220 swift

Quote:
If all you shoot is .45 Colt I would agree that the recoil is not bad at all. If you put in some .460 200 grn XTP's you are in another world for recoil. That is when spending some money on scopes and rings pays off.

I shot many full trottle 460 loads. I only used the 45 colt loads when hunting. Even with the full power loads recoil was not that bad. I never did try anything over 300gr though.
Old July 7, 2016, 01:15 PM   #16
Chaz88

Quote:
Even with the full power loads recoil was not that bad
You have some impressive recoil tolerance!

Tags
handgun hunting , large caliber , smith and wesson , xvr