The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 17, 2016, 11:52 AM   #1
preboomer

S&W Model 10 grips

This one points almost a full front sight high. I'm thinking aftermarket grips with or a Tyler T adaptor might make a difference. Any ideas which brand of after market grips would possibly result in better/faster sight alignment or would a Tyler T adaptor also work?
Old June 17, 2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Don P

What do you have for a rear sight?

As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 17, 2016, 12:23 PM   #3
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by preboomer
This one points almost a full front sight high.
Are we talking about how it points naturally when you pick it up, or a point-of-aim vs. point-of-impact issue?
Old June 17, 2016, 12:41 PM   #4
preboomer

S&W Model 10 grips

Don P, rear sight is a groove through the top of the frame.

carguychris, how it points naturally.
Old June 17, 2016, 12:53 PM   #5
Don P

You try changing grips, BUT you still have to learn to shoot ( sight alignment) a revolver with just a groove for a rear sight.

As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 17, 2016, 12:53 PM   #6
gyvel

Even the round butt points high. The only think I can think of are some Hogue, Pachmayr or Uncle Mike's that give you much thicker backstrap to artificially make the muzzle point downward. Otherwise, you are just going to have to train yourself to adjust.
SIFE
Old June 17, 2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Different guns point differently for different people. For some folks Glocks point dead on...for some they are high.

When i carried a M64 (stainless M10) i loved the Hogue grips that left the backstrap exposed. Close eyes, point gun, open eyes... On tgt.

I see a lot of students that are not gripping the revolver properly. A proper grip not only improves recoil control, it aids in getting the gun naturally on tgt.

I am NOT a fan or advocate of "point shooting", but a gun that puts the gun on tgt in a natural point will only make finding the sights easier and FASTER
Old June 17, 2016, 01:10 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...would possibly result in..." There's absolutely no way for anybody but you to tell that. A Smith M10 is a 'K' frame so there's no shortage of grips around for it. Mind you, it has to fit your hand right to start with or it'll never be quite right.
A Tyler adaptor won't matter one way or the other. It's just an adaptor to get ill fitting grips to fit.
Your best bet would be to take the thing to your local shop and try a few on for size and feel.

Last edited by T. O'Heir; June 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old June 18, 2016, 01:04 AM   #9
.38SPL enthusiast

I think a lot of thought and experimentation went into the original grip shape of the old Military and Police revolver (model 10). The necessarily downward canted wrist has more upward comfortable range of motion during recoil and the sights seem to naturally return on target once the user is familiar with the correct hold.

Without advocating or disparaging any style of shooting, if you want to point your revolver without having to change grips, or adjust your wrist angle, only bring the gun up to approximately chest level. Then the barrel will be parallel with the ground.
Old June 18, 2016, 05:29 AM   #10
CajunBass

If you're using the standard "Magna" grips that come on most S&W's, my guess is you're gripping the gun high on the grip as your hand rides up into the gap between the trigger guard and the grip. A grip adapter will fill in that gap allowing a lower grip.

http://www.bkgrips.com/

If my Smith & Wesson's don't have target grips, they've got a BK. Sorry, no pictures of them, but the linked website shows them.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old June 18, 2016, 09:50 AM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
A Tyler adaptor won't matter one way or the other. It's just an adaptor to get ill fitting grips to fit.
Howdy

A Tyler grip adaptor is not meant to make ill fitting grips fit, it has nothing to do with that. A Tyler grip adaptor is meant to fill up part of the space between the grip and the trigger guard, allowing the shooter to hold the gun a little bit lower on the grip.

Not a K frame, but here is a Model 36 with a Tyler T Grip.

Old June 18, 2016, 12:18 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...meant to fill up part of the space between the grip and the trigger guard..." That is the very definition of 'ill fitting'.
Old June 18, 2016, 03:43 PM   #13
rep1954

I fought with getting comfortable and controlling with the K-frame for a while. I really wanted to stick with a natural material but just wasn't happy with all the panels I tried and most designs seemed to work for me on the N-frames. I tried the Pacmayr Prensentation grip but kept my hand to far away from the trigger with it's wide width and wrap around the back strap design. Then I tried their Gripper Professional model and fell in love and looks made no difference. It is thinner than the Prensetation model and has a open back design. This grip maybe looks out of place on my model 14-8 but hey it's already got MIM and IL anyway.
Old June 18, 2016, 04:46 PM   #14
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
That is the very definition of 'ill fitting'.
Excuse me???

A Tyler T Grip, and any other similar device is meant to take up the space indicated by the arrow. What in the blue blazes does that have to do with 'ill fitting' grips?

To me, ill fitting means the grips do not join the metal properly, leaving voids between the metal and the wood, or over hanging the wood. That has nothing to do with grip adaptors.

Some may not care for the Magna grips that came on many K frame Smiths, including this Model 10-5.

Some may prefer the more handfilling grips that came on this Model 19-3. But that has nothing to do with how well the grips are fitted to the gun. That is simply a difference in design. And you will notice how the Oversized Target grips that came on this Model 19 also fill up some of the space that a Tyler T Grip adaptor would have filled up.