The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #1
GRyder

Offer declined for my S&W 586

A coworker offered me his Colt Python 4" for my 586-4 plus $2000 on my end.

So went to the range and shot about 50 rounds through his Python to see if I like it. Now I've seen it and held it. Heard rave reviews about it being the pinnacle of .357 revolver. Well I must say I wasn't too impressed. It is a beautiful gun but not $2000 more beautiful than my 586. I didn't like the mechanic of the cylinder release. It's not anymore accurate than my 586 in my hand.

The Python was in very good condition but in the end I kindly decline his offer. Would you guys have gone through with the trade?
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #2
UncleEd

I've owned both, sometimes concurrently.

The Smith all the way unless I could get the Python for a smoking
cheap deal and then resell it for an exorbitant price.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #3
DaleA

The way Pythons are selling I think it was only a bad deal. Not outrageous bad but just bad.

If you've got Python fever and a ton of hedge fund money, well that's what has driven the Python price into the near $3000 range.

That and the fact that they are no longer making them which means every time someone shoots one there is that much less Python Goodness in the world.

The Python and the S&W Model 27 are two outstanding firearms that IMhO were the epitome of production handguns. Anybody around my age could have got either one new in box for under $400 any time in our young adult lives. Personally I find that very irritating.

Is a Python worth that much? If somebody is willing to pay it then it is but that's in in the world of $250,000 sports cars and $400 bottles of bourbon.
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #4
GRyder

His offer still stand but I can't see spending that amount of cash on a gun when I have something very similar to it. And shoot just as accurate. Besides I think I'll spend it on a model 29.
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #5
Waspinator

Pythons are nice guns, but way over-hyped by the internet/collector crowds. What you did was find out for yourself that , while nice, they are no where near as nice as people talk them up to be. You made the smart move.. at the end of the day you have a nice S&W that is as accurate as the Python. I say take some of that $2,000 you saved and put it toward some ammo and enjoy the gun you have.

You didn't drink the coolaid. Congratulations on being your own free thinking individual and not falling for the insane Python lust going on right now.
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #6
Bob Wright

I have stated before that I think the S&W Model 586 is the best DA .357 Magnum revolver to come down the pike. Including the vaunted Model 27 and pre-Model 27s.

You did the right thing in my estiomation.

Bob Wright
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #7
2ndsojourn

"Would you guys have gone through with the trade?"

No way. That's like paying $2800 for a Python. You can buy a couple of nice Smiths for $2000. Or that Model 29 and a boatload of ammo.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #8
Deaf Smith

I agree GRyder.

The Python is maybe a bit better than a top S&W, but just a bit.

Why are they so high?

Cause they are Colts and they are not made anymore.

Collectors have bidded the prices up so much they can't come back down for fear of losing their shirts.

I'm happy with my S&Ws.

Deaf
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #9
RIDE-RED 350r

You made the right move.

Nothing against the Pythons but I myself will never own one, at least if the market for them stays as it is or gets worse (for buyers anyway).

Like you, I don't care for the way the cylinder release works. I don't find it nearly as "handy" as Smiths or Rugers. That's about the only thing I don't like about them.

If you have $2000 to spend on a handgun right now, boy oh man you could just about get 2 REALLY nice classic Smiths with that budget!! I would be looking at no-dash 57's, and probably 27's to accompany my 586 if I were in your shoes.

Last edited by RIDE-RED 350r; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #10
JERRYS.

that's an awful lot of money to spend for just a name..... considering original classic well made guns with different names can still be had for a lot less.
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #11
RIDE-RED 350r

^^^Precisely my point and stance^^^
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM   #12
GRyder

He had 2 and wanted a shooter, so instead of shooting his one Python. He offered it to trade for mine.

Well I was saving up for a model 29 (one with recessed cylinders) and a AR rifle.
I wasn't about to blow all that money just for a nice pistol. I agree that the Python is a bit over hyped. Although I admit the craftsmanship is very good. But I'd rather enjoy my lowly S&W!
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #13
pete2

If you want the gun to shoot keep the 586. It'll do all the Python will do, d/a is better on a Smith. You will look better with a Python. One of my skeet buddies said that if you can't shoot good you can at least look good. (He shoots a Krieghoff). I have a Python but I shoot S&W guns.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #14
Slopemeno

I didn't want one when they were $400.00.

Keep your 586- that's a great gun.
Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #15
PatientWolf

While I love the Python, keeping the Smith is the right choice IMHO.