The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 22, 2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Gungnir

SP101 - Boot grips & overall length.

I am planning my next handgun purchase, and I am feeling defiant. Local laws dictate that I cannot own a pistol with an overall length of less than 210mm, as those guns are 'dangerously concealable'. I hate that law with passion, because I find compact handguns more aesthetically pleasing than their full-size counterparts, and I lately I have been feeling a desire to own something that the state wouldn't want me to have... And also a desire to get my own pistol, as Ive grown tired of beat up rental guns.

So, during my research I have fallen in love with the 3-inch Ruger SP101, which Ruger lists as having an overall length of 203mm, 7mm too short to own! However, I have noticed that many of the aftermarket grips seem to increase the length of the gun, especially the boot-style grips, such as those made by Badger Grips, and they look great too. Unfortunately, the guys at Badger costumer service could not tell me wether or not their grips increased the overall length of the SP101 at all, so I turn to you; Does boot grips, or any other type of aftermarket grips for the SP101 increase the overall length of the gun by 7mm or more?
Old May 22, 2016, 04:55 PM   #2
Indawind

I can't say about the grips but here is an angle to checking into. Are you allowed to have a threaded barrel? That should give you maybe 12-14 mm added length.

I am thinking Glock now on this so bear with me. A threaded barrel on a G17 takes it from 204mm stock to well over legal according to the 210mm you gave.

Now for the conceal-ability part. The most difficult part of concealment is the length of the butt of the gun. Not the barrel length. A lot of people will cut down a G17 (it is plastic so I have never hesitated with a dremel tool) to accept a G19 magazine. Now you have a legal handgun (as long as the mod and barrel is ok) that conceals like one that is under the legal limits for you.

The G19 magazine is a 15rd so lots of BBs. Having followed many projects of this it seems straight forward. Saw off a bit and file until the mag seats. The plus is that the G17 mag still fits.

I have NO idea of the ins and outs of Scandinavian law so that part is on you Gungnir, but just an idea.
Old May 22, 2016, 05:57 PM   #3
Gungnir

Actual concealability does not factor into the law. As long as a pistol is long enough, it can be owned by civilians for sporting purposes.

Threaded barrels can indeed extend a pistol into legal territory, but it is usually cheaper to have a gunsmith install a longer non-threaded barrel in place of the factory barrel, so most people do that. Beavertailed pistols are also popular around here, as they bring the guns closer to the legal length and thus minimizes the need for extended barrels.

I should perhaps note that I am not planning to conceal this gun at all, I just want to own this exact model because I believe that it would cover all of my handgun needs while still looking good, and because the law says I can't have it.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:44 PM   #4
Slimjim9

Threaded barrel? On a revolver?

A 4" SP101 should be well over the limit, but I understand. I like 3" revolvers too.
Old May 24, 2016, 04:34 AM   #5
Gungnir

No ome has threaded barrels on theor revolvers, Indawind merely suggested such a modification to extend a semi-auto to legal length. But while that is a possibility, what I really want is a 3-inch SP101.

So, does anyone have an SP101 with boot grip on it, and does such grips extend the overall length of the firearm to 210mm or longer?
Old May 25, 2016, 09:37 AM   #6
Laz

Ruger, in fact, does offer a very nice SP101 with a full lugged four inch barrel. However, it does have adjustable rather than fixed sights. Perhaps it might fill your need?

http://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
Old May 26, 2016, 05:18 PM   #7
turkeestalker

I own a 3" 327 that I currently have a factory grip with the wood panels on, and a 2 1/8" 357 that has a set of the Hogue boot grips on it for this comparison.
Truthfully I don't believe that the Hogues add any overall length, but it is difficult to tell that in these photos.
I attempted to line the cylinders up but did change the angle of the shot a little for illustration, that may not have been the best idea. The photos look as if they do to a small degree, but handling them and comparing up close I don't believe that the Hogues add any overall length, though other brands may.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160526_170018244.jpg (211.0 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160526_170125662.jpg (216.1 KB, 213 views)
Old May 27, 2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Chainsaw.

Not on your original topic but what state do you live in where some moron politicians thought a hand gun could be to small??
Old May 27, 2016, 03:25 PM   #9
BigDog

Scandinavia is a region in Northern Europe.
Old June 18, 2016, 11:50 PM   #10
Frontier4

I love my 3" sp101 .357 mag. You should go with the 4.2" so you can have your cake, and eat it too! Plus fiber optic front sight
Old June 19, 2016, 02:37 PM   #11
tallball

My Sp101 is 4.2", but these pictures might help you. The original grips were too small for my hands, so I ordered some exotic wood grips from eBay. I think they are from Thailand, if I recall correctly. I am guessing that they probably at 3mm to the overall length. You can look at the pictures and judge for yourself.