The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 10, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
TGDKY

Mosin M44 or Czech VZ24

Which would you have as the better all around rifle? I plan to put a nice scope and sporterize either one. I already own the m44 and it shoots decent and has a monte carlo stock- but i can trade for the 8mm that also in really good shape. I would say the bore is better on the mauser. Would you do the trade or is the mosin the better rifle?

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old April 10, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2
DnPRK

There are many more aftermarket parts available for the Mauser.

But the expense of sporterizing either one will cost more than buying a Stevens 200 outright. And the Stevens will outperform any sporterized milsurp rifle.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:46 PM   #3
TX Hunter

The Mauser would be better for that.
Would you keep it in the same cartridge, or change it?
Ive got a friend that has a neat sporter made on a Vz 24 his is a 35 Whelan
He is getting really tight groups with it.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:31 PM   #4
TGDKY

I would keep it in 8mm

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Old April 10, 2011, 11:31 PM   #5
TGDKY

any more opinions?