The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Nickwisenheimer

Lee turret press

I ordered the Lee deluxe kit should I send it back when it arrives? I got so ramped up when ordering I didnt realize what I was doing...
Old April 8, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
JoeDorn

I love mine... It is a good tool...

NRA Patron, GOA, SAF & TSRA Lifer, NRA-ILA Donor
Old April 8, 2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Nickwisenheimer

JoeDorn- does it take the lee safety primer set up?
Old April 8, 2011, 09:29 PM   #4
benzuncle

Quote:
I ordered the Lee deluxe kit should I send it back when it arrives? I got so ramped up when ordering I didnt realize what I was doing...
I'm not sure which part of your question has you thinking you need to send it back. Is it the "I ordered a Lee deluxe kit..." or the "I didn't realize what I was doing..."?

My first press (bought 3 and-a-half years ago) was the Lee Classic Turret Press. Similar to the Lee Deluxe, only "Deluxer" . I've built thousands of rounds with it in 45ACP, 380ACP and 357SIG with no problems using lead, FMJ's and JHP's. So, knowing what I know, my answer would be to send the Lee Deluxe back, get the Lee Classic Turret Press and in no time at all, you'll realize what you've done and be quite happy with your purchase. Wishing you well with whatever decision you make...
Old April 8, 2011, 09:55 PM   #5
Jim243

Send it back, you want the Lee Classic Turret kit not the Deluxe.

Jim
Old April 8, 2011, 10:00 PM   #6
howlnmad

Go with Jim, you don't want the deluxe, you want the classic turret.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

OK, I'll take the opposing view

So, if this is more than simple buyer's remorse, consider this.

If you keep the Deluxe, you will have paid a lower price for a little bit less of a press. (All the following advice applies to the 4-hole version.)

So, do the math.

What is the return policy of your seller?

What will it cost to make the return and is the price differential worth the difference in quality (and qualities) between the superior Classic and the Deluxe? Include shipping.

The Deluxe Turret operates the same way the Classic does. The exit path for primers is not as certain, so you will have a few hit the floor instead of finding their way into the cavity under the press. Emptying the cavity under the press every few hundred loadings is inconvenient, but not taxing.

The Classic will accommodate a longer cartridge than the Deluxe, but this will interest you for rifle cartridges more so than .40 S&W.

You will have to be more assiduous in keeping the press clean and lubricated and the operating handle will take some monitoring.

The new Deluxe Turrets do take the Lee Safety Prime. (The priming arm, the little metal piece that has the primer cup and installs in the ram) The earlier Deluxe Turrets have a double-ended priming arm. I don't know if the Lee Safety prime (the little Pez-dispenser-like device that pops out primers one at a time) will work with it.

If you have not opened the box, I would not feel morally obliged to stay with the sale. Or, you could consider the lesson to be one well-learned.

Don't beat yourself up. I don't think you have hurt yourself badly if you keep the Deluxe. They are both good presses. Just the more expensive one is the better one.

Having said all that, I will acknowledge that I personally much prefer the Classic. I have never used (or seen in real life) a Deluxe, but I do have two Pro-1000 presses which use the exact same base as the Deluxe.

Good Luck.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; April 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:08 AM   #8
jmortimer

I got my Lee Precision delux turret press long ago before they made the Classic Turret and I really like it but I would get the Classic if I had the choice now. I also have an old style Lee Precision single stage which I also bought a long time ago and I like it as well. My ideal set-up would be the Classic Turret and the Classic Cast Breech Lock and the Load All. I'll settle for one out of three for now.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:06 AM   #9
KW Gary M

My first press was a Lee Delux Kit 4 hole Turret Press and I couldn't be happier. I must have 15,000 rounds made with it and it is still running like new. I did replace the arm scale with a digital scale but otherwise I love it. Pretty much all my reloading gear is Lee and I love it. I have a Load Master Progressive Press too and it is great.

The only negative experience I have had is Lee's instructions manual for set up is useless. I used You Tube and figured it our pretty easily.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:12 AM   #10
CrustyFN

Both Lee turret presses will make great ammo. The classic turret has many features that make it well worth the extra money for me. It's up to you if those features are worth it or not.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:55 AM   #11
overkill0084

Unless there is a pressing need that the Deluxe doesn't fill that the Classic does, I wouldn't worry about it.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke

Last edited by overkill0084; April 11, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old April 10, 2011, 11:49 AM   #12
mdripley

I have two of the Lee Classic Turret presses and I love them. They are very well made. I started out with the Deluxe turret set it will get the job done but I have found the LCT to be much smoother and stronger. The Pro autodisk is well worth the cost and is superior to the auto disk that comes with the Deluxe Turret Kit. You will definetly want an accurate scale the lee scale is just no fun to work with. YMHO
Old April 10, 2011, 11:50 AM   #13
Nickwisenheimer

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the input. So far I haven't taken my nose out of the Lyman manual.
Old April 11, 2011, 02:42 PM   #14
carprivershooter

dido

I started with the lee classic is has worked great for me took some twiking but a good press I load 380, 9 mm, 38cal, 40cal, 357 mag, 45 acp 45colt 44 mag 44 sp. and M1 carbine. I am now planning to buy a Lee load-master to load 223/5.56. I had been searching for infor from forum members about the lee load-master and while reading this post I got my answer as to THE LOAD MASTER BEING A GOOD CHOICE.
Old April 11, 2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Doodlebugger45

If you send the Deluxe Turret back, first take out the primer arm for small primers and mail it to me! Then box it up and send it back and claim ignorance if they ask about the missing part.

I have a Classic Turret and like it a lot. But when I first got it was using large primers only. I had accumulated a large stash of sized, primed, flared .357 mag brass from my single stage loading days. I was using all of that up when I needed more .357 ammo and just skipping the sizing/priming steps on the turret. So, finally the other day I wanted some .357 rounds with magnum primers. Naturally, I can't find the danged small primer lever arm thingie. I can find the feeder for small primers.

Yeah, I can order a replacement for $7 plus S&H, but I haven't done so yet. Moral of the story is to keep all those small little pieces in a good spot.