The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 9, 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Naby

.38 Special Rat-Shot and Snake-Shot Recommendations

What ammunition companies make .38 Special rat-shot and/or snake-shot rounds?

Thanks
Old April 9, 2011, 11:07 AM   #2
egor20

Naby

I use CCI Blazer Shotshell, 38 Special 109 Grain, #9, never had a snake complain about it

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old April 9, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3
hogcowboy

Yup, CCI is the only company I'm aware of that makes them as well as shot capsules for loading your own. Loading your own is just plain a hoot. And I've never had a snake complain either.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
American Legion Rider
Old April 9, 2011, 04:30 PM   #4
armsmaster270

I use the Speer CCI Shot Capsules in 38 & 44 loading them with #11 shot for a denser coverage.
Old April 9, 2011, 04:36 PM   #5
FM12

I do as armsmaster does, roll my own using 7 1/2 shot in speer plastic cups made for the application.
Old April 9, 2011, 05:19 PM   #6
hogcowboy

I've gone as far as #5 shot. Does a number on snakes, rabbits and squirrels.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
American Legion Rider
Old April 9, 2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Daryl

The fine "rat shot" loads sold by Speer didn't impress me at all. Had a hard time killing grasshoppers with them once while messing around in camp.

I load my own with 7 1/2 shot, and it's far superior.

Daryl
Old April 9, 2011, 08:30 PM   #8
silentargus

I've only ever seen CCI shotshells in stores, but they're costly- well over $1 per round. If you've got reloading hardware (I don't at present) making your own would almost certainly be the better and cheaper option. The CCI loadings work just fine, but they're painfully expensive for something designed to be used on common pests.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:42 PM   #9
Eagleks

a .22 revolver or semi works nice too.
Old April 9, 2011, 10:16 PM   #10
DPris

The shot size varies from caliber to caliber.
I've killed a good-sized snake with a .22 CCI shotshell, busted up a couple tossed glass bottles in my more ignorant youth, and know a couple guys who've killed birds (close up) with them.

Distances need to be close, before the shot column spirals too far to be effective.
Larger calibers- different shot size, more pellets, more energy.

Denis
Old April 9, 2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Madball6

CCI shotsehlls in 9mm luger, works everytime. Also works on armadillos at close range (which is pretty easy to get into, them things are blind and deaf in my experience, but damn if they aint good at puttin holes in the lawn)
Old April 9, 2011, 11:23 PM   #12
gak

I've had very good luck with .38 and .44 CCI on rattlers. As specialty rounds I only use them on these critters, which isn't that often, so cost isn't an issue. Sort of like special defense loads. I don't plink or even target with them, other than minimal to just know what they'll do.
Old April 10, 2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Uncle Buck

As mentioned above, CCI loaded shells are expensive. This would be a perfect opportunity to take up reloading.

I have Speer shot shells I have loaded for my .38 Spec and .45 Colt. I use 7 1/2 and 5 shot in them. Lot of fun and way cheaper than the store bought CCI stuff.

Last edited by Uncle Buck; April 10, 2011 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old April 10, 2011, 12:02 PM   #14
DPris

I've never used enough of them to bother making my own.
Not anything I play with anymore & otherwise a box lasts indefinitely.

I've carried them in snake territory over the years, but haven't actually needed to use one for a long time.

If you shoot a bunch of shotshells for some reason, I can see it'd be cheaper to build your own, otherwise cost really isn't a factor.

Denis
Old April 10, 2011, 12:30 PM   #15
ronto

I prefer a shovel to behead copperheads around here. I have used CCI 38 Special shot shells on mice in the crawl space with the resulting mass of blood and fur.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old April 10, 2011, 12:51 PM   #16
MrDontPlay

I'm not very happy with the pattern on my sp101. I'd like to reload some with more punch too
Old April 10, 2011, 02:03 PM   #17
DPris

The pattern spreads rapidly on exiting any rifled barrel, the shot column comes out spinning, centrifugal force spins it outward.

In multi-gun multi-caliber testing I did years ago on the CCI shot shells I found barrel twist and velocity were the two factors that most affected pattern spread.

The faster the barrel twist in a given caliber, the faster the shot column spin, which in turn created the fastest pattern spread.

The faster the velocity itself, in same-caliber shot loads through various barrel lengths, ditto on pattern spread.

Snubs actually produced tighter patterns than longer barrels, in the same caliber.

In other words- trying to handload for more "punch" will be counterproductive if it involves faster velocities.

There are just certain limitations to what you can do with shot through a rifled bore.
Denis
Old April 10, 2011, 02:38 PM   #18
Rifleman1776

I load Speer capsules for my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag. using #7 1/2 shot.
It was a spring time ritual for many years when I had cattle to carry the Redhawk loaded with the shot capsules for snake control. I usually shot them in the ponds. Killed a rattler near the house with it once also.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:18 PM   #19
Naby

Thanks for the help. I'll probably just buy some as I'm not in to reloading and I don't see myself shotting a lot of them. I just want to have some for hiking and around the yard.
Old April 11, 2011, 04:43 PM   #20
Naby

Does CCI still make it for .38 Special? MidwayUSA lists it as discontinued.
Old April 13, 2011, 09:33 PM   #21
gak

Naby said
Does CCI still make it for .38 Special? MidwayUSA lists it as discontinued.

I'm sure it's a misprint. The shotshell for .38 and .357 is interchangeablly the same and says so on the cartridge case. (IOW, it's really .38). I doubt very much CCI would discontinue its largest shotshell seller.
www.cci-ammunition.com . I couldn't link the specific page but look for "pest control" on the home page menu.

Last edited by gak; April 13, 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old April 14, 2011, 08:23 PM   #22
Naby

Thanks
Old April 16, 2011, 12:59 PM   #23
gak

I don't know what the rifling/rate was, but for years my father and I swapped carring a 4" Model 10 around and dispatched many Arizona diamondbacks and a few Mohaves with--when encountered in "uncomfortable settings" (for you rattler lovers)--pretty effectively within "reasonable" distance, guessing 7-8' average,...seldom less than 6' certainly if could avoid it! Most of them one shot beheadings or otherwise effectively decomissioned , but sometimes two just to make certain.

In more recent years it's been another 4" Smith and a variety of 4.5-5.5 "cowboy" guns. There may have been a difference, but I haven't noticed--I'm sure some variance, but perhaps not critical due to the ranges I've shot. But that is intersting about the shorter barrels and makes me feel even warmer and fuzzier about my Montado/Sheriff pair that have yet to be tested.
Old April 16, 2011, 02:54 PM   #24
GP100man

snake shot

Do a search for "snake shot" or "shot shells" & ya should find a bit of reading !!

First ya can build adequate shot shells with the capsules . Just be careful & not under power em or over crimp em , there very touchy `bout the crimp , not enuff & they`ll jump the crimp & to much & the adjacent shell may break upon firing !!!

I much prefer the card over system , I feel the card over is more reliable .
Patterns really depend on length of the barrel, shorter pattern better but require a faster powder like CLAYS to keep the speed up !!

The size of shot makes a big difference in patterns also , size & density !!
I use #9 & #10 shot . it does very well to 10-12ft.
Old April 16, 2011, 09:59 PM   #25
Six_Rounds

Here's how I load my own .38 special shot-shells. (Note: You don't really even need reloading equipment for this.)

Take an empty, deprimed (and resized if you have the equipment) casing.

Prime.

Charge with 3 grains bullseye powder.

Insert cardboard wad over powder, compress.

Fill with your choice of shot. I find #6 to work great in my 2" snubbie, but if you have a longer barrel you may want smaller shot for higher pattern density. Leave about 1/8 or so of space between the shot and the case mouth.

Insert another wad over the shot, and seal either with wax or Elmer's glue.

If you have a press and dies, a nice roll crimp on the finished product looks nice, speeds up reloading, and may help keep the wad in, but its not necessary.

This load gives a light report and recoil, but has more than sufficient killing power for pests and snakes at 10-15 feet.

Enjoy!