The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 8, 2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Rachen

CCW for truckers

Truckers move from state to state very often, especially owner operators who pick up jobs from various places.

Is there a procedure that allows a traveling trucker to carry a handgun or rifle that would be recognized in all states and cities, including places like NYC?

I would like to carry my Single Action .45 revolver in my truck while on interstate jobs without having to avoid places or apply for multiple licenses.

Or do I have to go through the whole process of unloading and locking up my weapons when stopping at places like NYC or LA to pick up/drop off freight?

ALSO: Can LEOs anywhere demand to search a locked safe that is in plain sight in a commercial vehicle, or do I have the right to refuse the search?
Old April 8, 2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Retread7

No CCW for Truckers

It is a federal law of some kind, I was told. I quit driving OTR years ago. All commercial trucks are subject to a full search at anytime, including the cab and sleeper.

With all the hijacking going on in those days it seemed like a pretty stupid law, even from the fed prospective.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Gary Slider

There is no federal law on carrying firearms in commercial trucks. You have to go by the laws of the state you are in. Whatever the state laws are that is the laws you must follow.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old April 9, 2011, 07:12 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Whatever the state laws are that is the laws you must follow.
There is not a law prohibiting a CDL truck driver from carrying a firearm, but, as quoted above, you must follow all laws of the state you are in.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Glenn Dee

New York city is probably one of the most gun repressive locations ever. While I worked there as a police officer it was unwritten rule to leave interstate truckers alone.
Old April 9, 2011, 02:46 PM   #6
ronto

Agreed that there is no Federal DOT law prohibiting truckers from having firearms in the cab, adhering to State and local regulations is another matter all together. Getting a concealed carry license from your State or a non-resident license from Florida or Idaho may help mitigate the headache in States that have reciprical agreements with your resident State, or Florida and Idaho.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".