The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 8, 2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Steven_Seagal

Best Revolver Ever Made?

What is the best all around revolver ever made, in your opinion?

Some things to think about: Durability, fit/finish, trigger, caliber, usefulness as a Self Defense/Home Defense gun, concealability/carry-ability (is that a word?), value...

I gotta go with the Ruger GP100 w/ a 4 in. barrel. I can't think of a better multi-purpose revolver with equal durability and reliability that can serve pretty much any need you may have. Sure there are nicer Revolvers like the Python or 686 (which are both classics as well), but man I will never part with my GP100 until I die and pass it on to my son.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:05 AM   #2
JLK

S%W 686 4 inch.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
9mm

Ruger SP101/GP100

They are tanks.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4
aarondhgraham

I doubt you will get a consensus,,,

But here's my nomination,,,
S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

It may not be the best revolver ever made,,,
But it surely is an extremely fine gun,,,
And, it's my personal favorite.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 8, 2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Hunter2678

Something from Smith comes to mind.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:16 AM   #6
38superhero

4 in stainless Ruger Security Six...
Old April 8, 2011, 10:27 AM   #7
hogcowboy

I gotta go with Ruger GP100.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
American Legion Rider
Old April 8, 2011, 10:27 AM   #8
WIL TERRY

WHAT you are describing is the best COMPROMISE ever made and NOT the best at anything. I'll look elsewhere thank you very much !!!
Old April 8, 2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Steven_Seagal

No. What I am describing is the best all around revolver ever made - one that can serve every need and serve it well and has the reputation to back it up. GP100, imo, is not a compromise at all, rather it is simply the best revolver ever made as there is no task it cannot handle. Make sense?
Old April 8, 2011, 10:50 AM   #10
Hunter2678

a debate with no end in sight...
Old April 8, 2011, 10:54 AM   #11
Scorch

"Best" is the point of debate here. Those favoring ruggedness will name the Ruger revolvers, and rightly so. Those favoring fit and finish might name the Korth revolver, and rightly so. Those favoring smoothness and appearance might name the Smith and Wesson Model 27. I choose the Colt Python because of accuracy, fit, finish, smoothness, and reliability (mine has never failed). But Rugers are a better, more modern design, just kinda rough. If Ruger would slick up their revolvers a bit, they would top the list (I know my Redhawk is pretty darn nice).
Taylor Machine
Old April 8, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

Either the Ruger GP 100 or the S&W 686 are really hard to top.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:03 AM   #13
Jimmy10mm

Two of the best I've ever had were a 44Spl triplelock target that I sold like a damn fool and a 6" Colt Python that I'll have until I'm gone to the big range in the sky. I don't know if they are the "best" ever made but they are darn good IMHO.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Tom Servo
Staff

S&W New Century triple-lock.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:08 AM   #15
dgludwig

I'd vote for the Smith & Wesson "Registered Magnum" as being the finest revolver ever factory produced (that includes the very nice but not the "best" Colt Python). The Smith Model 686+ is my pick for the most useful revolver ever made. Smith Models 17, 16, 14 and 25 as being the best revolvers for Bullseye matches. And the Colt Cobra/Agent as being the best candidates for use as a pocket/deep cover revolver.
All that said, Scorch and Hunter2678 were probably right when they opined that " 'best' " is the point of debate here..."; "a debate with no end in sight..."
Old April 8, 2011, 11:13 AM   #16
Smaug

Ruger Redhawk, .44 Magnum, 5.5"

Good DA trigger for defense, good SA trigger for range or hunting. Strong construction, good looks. Versatile enough chambering to do anything.

It may not be the best choice for concealed carry, but it would be my choice for an all-around revolver.

Mine's a 7.5" Hunter model; I thought I was going to do more hunting than I do. I'm thinking about having Ruger re-barrel it to 5.5" or trading for a blued 5.5" model.

Old April 8, 2011, 11:40 AM   #17
Jim March

The thing about Rugers is, they're just not quite done when you get them, if the goal is to have "the best".

Their basic mechanical accuracy tends to be very good - a current-production GP100 is on par with a current S&W 686. Ruger toughness is legendary. Metallurgy is good, with very few defects of the sort that lead to a gun blowing up. Even safety is above average - you can blow one up, but even when you do the topstrap tends to hold up, directing all the scrap metal sideways instead of backwards. Injuries when a blowup does happen tend to be minor or non-existant, usually the latter.

The only thing the Ruger lacks is a final "refinement" of the metal finish on the interior action parts. This in turn leads to the often-overstated "Ruger trigger feel" being sub-par.

BUT.

The Ruger has one final huge advantage over the S&W. Ruger DA revolvers are meant to be taken completely apart by the user. The instructions for doing so are in the manual, either the paper manual that comes with the gun or the free .PDF download off their site. The take-down tool(s) are either built into the gun or found under the grip panels. Ruger even has a complete set of takedown/cleaning/re-assembly videos free on their site...and no warrantees are voided for using them.

This, to me, is why I'd pick a Ruger even if they weren't about $150 cheaper than a competing S&W. Once I have it totally apart, I can use fine emory paper to polish the internals and do the final hand labor that Ruger can't afford right now. A few hours while watching TV in the evening plus a $20 spring kit and I can get a GP100 to feel one hell of a lot better - matching or exceeding an out-of-the-box S&W.

As a bonus, the ability to do a field-conditions detail strip can save your butt if the gun falls into mud, seawater or something else that requires a major cleaning ASAP. In harsh conditions this alone can be worth going Ruger.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Winchester_73

S&W 66 combat magnum

I think best and best general purpose are 2 different things. So the OP needs to be more specific for this thread to be anything more than another waste of bandwidth.

That said, its nearly unanimous that a 357 mag is ideal and rightfully so. The best platform is a matter of opinion but saying a ruger GP 100 is stronger or that it will out last a S&W 686 is a matter of opinion which is baseless in fact. Its a hypothesis based on all sorts of UN-scientific reasoning.

I personally own a S&W 586, 686, 66, 27, and a python, and for a do it all, meaning carry, shooting, durability etc I pick my 66. It has the durable stainless finish, a good trigger both ways (not the best, but good), adj sights, and a lighter weight than other 357s such as the python, GP 100, 586/686, N frame anything, etc. I'm not concerned with the K frame 357 failures because the forcing cone and end shake issues are positively linked with 125 gr 357 mag loads AND poor maintenance.

The S&W 19/66, known as the "combat magnum" offers a little bit of everything thats good in a GP revolver WITHOUT any unnecessary compromise.

Last edited by Winchester_73; April 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:48 AM   #19
Idahoser

yeah, it's not even close, the S&W 66 4".
Old April 8, 2011, 11:51 AM   #20
540mope

Quote:
a debate with no end in sight...
exactly. no different than
half empty, or half full??..
Ford vs. Chevy..
Ginger vs. Mary Ann..

i'll go with S&W 686/586
Old April 8, 2011, 11:53 AM   #21
old bear

Quote:
No. What I am describing is the best all around revolver ever made
For fear of starting a Colt Vs. Smith war, here I go; The best production revolver ever produced was the Smith and Wesson registered magnum, followed by the post-war .357 magnums, that became the M-27. In a close third is the Colt python.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:54 AM   #22
micromontenegro

For me, the best revolver would be a Colt New Service in .45 LC. YMMV.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:54 AM   #23
Wyosmith

Well asking what is the "best revolver EVER made" is a big question for which there is probably no clear answer.
Best as far as quality? Probably a Freedom Arms or an old S&W Triple Lock, or maybe a German Korth.

Best as far as value goes? Probably a Ruger Security Six.

Best as far as Beauty goes? Probably one of the North American Engravers Guild Colts.

Best as it relates to a “mission” or particular use? That would take several books to debate.
Old April 8, 2011, 12:00 PM   #24
MrBorland

IMO, the best all-arounder is a 3" S&W k-frame .357mag, i.e. Models 13, 19, 65, 66.

I have a 3" 65 and it's an ideal all-arounder...but...it's not my best gun for carry, HD, competition, target shooting, etc. I have and use specific revolvers for each of those, so the 65 rarely gets shot. Kind of ironic for the "best revolver ever made", no?
Old April 8, 2011, 12:03 PM   #25
C Philip

The best will depend on the intended use, but for all around my vote goes to the S&W 686 4" (pre-lock). I prefer the looks of the 586, but for durability of finish the 686 wins in my opinion.