The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 8, 2011, 08:05 AM   #1
KBP

Charles Daly parts

Now that Charles Daly is out of business, parts are a challenge to get. I am looking for a locking bolt(part CDA-50-134) and the operating handle(part CDP-50-360)for a Charle Daly semi-auto 12 ga. shotgun. It seems that these parts are in high demand due to the poor design and cheap material these parts were made of. Does anyone know where I can get these parts? Thanks for any information you can offer! Ken
Old April 8, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
5whiskey

Try numrich... if they don't have it I don't know what to tell you. What model is your shotgun (auto pointer, KTG, etc).
Old April 8, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3
KBP

Charles Daly parts

Numrich is sold out of these parts. Instead of a milled steel locking bolt, they cast them and many couldn't stand up to the stress of firing the shotgun! Anyone else with information would be greatly appreciated! Ken
Old April 8, 2011, 11:26 AM   #4
steve1589

I needed one for a 20 gauge. All the phones numbers were a dead end. Parts unavailable. The customer was mad at me because I couldn't find replacement parts. SOOOOOOOOO, No Charles Daly's are allowed in my shop.
Old April 8, 2011, 03:29 PM   #5
KBP

Charles Daly parts

Talk about a market waiting to be filled! You would think a gun parts dealer would make a deal with a small machine shop to make some of these parts. From what I have been reading, someone could make a nice profit on replacement parts for these shotguns!
Old April 8, 2011, 04:44 PM   #6
5whiskey

Quote:
Talk about a market waiting to be filled! You would think a gun parts dealer would make a deal with a small machine shop to make some of these parts. From what I have been reading, someone could make a nice profit on replacement parts for these shotguns!
Correct you are...
Old April 8, 2011, 05:57 PM   #7
Scorch

For the number and quality of parts you would need for all of Charles Daly's shotguns, you could never make a living. They sold dozens of models, and some of the mechanisms were dubitable at best, so why make parts for them? Buy another one or two as parts donors. Or if you feel the need, go ahead and manufacture the parts yourself. Or go buy a Mossberg and call it good.
Old April 8, 2011, 06:02 PM   #8
rantingredneck

KBP,

If you have a friend or neighbor who is at the least bit mechanically inclined and has access to good steel it's not hard to make an operating handle for the semi auto shotgun.

I've actually made a couple for a friend who had his come apart on him.

And no, I'm not looking for a new business venture .

Seriously though, that part is fairly uncomplicated to build.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old April 8, 2011, 09:36 PM   #9
KBP

Charles Daly parts

You guys hit the nail on the head! I agree! Unfortunately, I'm not looking for me. Its for a friend and he has made several of the operating handles. He has not tried to make the locking bolt, and he is asking me to double check if anyone is making the part or still has some of the surplus CD parts. As for me, I have my trusty Remington 870 Wingmaster that I bought used 27 years ago, and it still looks and works like new. Ken