The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 7, 2011, 10:11 PM   #1
bailey bud

Remington 1911 skyrockets in price!

Just a month ago, I could find the Remington 1911 $500 - $550.

What happened?
Old April 7, 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
drail

I think more dealers are carrying them now and an increasing number of customers are under the mistaken impression that they are made by the same company that made the Remington Rands of WW II fame. And also the whole "Buy American" thing.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:21 PM   #3
HKFan9

The new Remington's are trash, and yes people really are mistaken thinking they are even similar to the older Remington Rands, we had one lock itself up before we put it in our case, sent that crap right back to Remington, I'd buy a Springfield Mil-Spec ever before one of those.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Wrangler

I like my Remington R1. It seems to me the people that don't like it haven't actually used it. I myself have only shot about a hundred rounds through it, but I haven't had an issue with it yet! It looks nice, feels nice, shoots nice, and is pretty accurate, too! The trigger has just the tiniest amount of creep in it but I wouldn't have noticed had I not been looking for it. Even then, it seems to be smoothing out with use.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Adamantium

Because no random person on the internet has ever had a problem with a Springfield...

But yeah they have gone up about $100 since I last looked at one 2-3 months ago on Buds. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/62266 At $675 it is getting pretty low on the value scale.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Wrangler

Yeah I bought mine for $650 a couple of months ago, and that was the cheapest i could find in the area. Everywhere else it was $700 or more.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:48 PM   #7
OsOk-308

Quote:
The new Remington's are trash, and yes people really are mistaken thinking they are even similar to the older Remington Rands, we had one lock itself up before we put it in our case, sent that crap right back to Remington, I'd buy a Springfield Mil-Spec ever before one of those.
Just because you had a poor experience with the Remington 1911 does not make it trash. Every company will have issues with at least one gun. My Remington 1911 has had 500 rounds through it, and it has performed flawlessly. They are fine pistols, look at any review on them. They are quality pistols.

As far as the price goes, I'm just glad that I purchased mine before price jumped.
Old April 8, 2011, 01:10 AM   #8
HKFan9

I work for a gun shop and I am in charge of shipping firearms back for warranty and repair work.... trust me... I know everyone makes lemons, even Glock and HK and whatever have you. They are NOTHING compared to the old Remington Rands, I am not the only person who has had a bad experience with the handgun, sadly the Taurus has better fitting in it then the Remington's do. It's your money whatever, but they should be going down in price, not up.

100...even 500 rounds through a semi auto handgun is not even broken in yet.

Not to even mention they use cast frames and slides... which aren't made in a Remington factory. Your paying for a name stamp. They are cast in I believe the Philippines and the internals are mostly MIM. So really your getting a $300 RIA (actually decent guns for what they are, co-worker bought one used for $100) but paying $700 for the Remington name stamp.

The Remington Firearms Company (read: The Freedom Group) is NOT the same company as The Remington Rand typewriter company who made 1911's for the Government.

You can say SA makes their parts in Brazil... but Imbel in Brazil FORGES their frames and slides, and actually does a very good job at it. Plus Mil-Spec's and GI's from SA can be had cheaper, and come with a Lifetime Warranty, go ahead and read some threads on Remington's customer support.... I deal with them at least every 2 weeks... I can tell you they are terrible, but do a search, don't just take my word for it.

$700-$800.... get a used Colt, you will be much happier. They are made better than all the rest or most at least.

People hate on SA and Kimber all the time, but I can say of all the ones I have owned I never had an issue.... and can't remember the last time a SA, Kimber, or Colt came back to our shop needing to be sent out. Not saying it doesn't happen, but personally I would feel much more comfortable with those brands.

To each his own I suppose, but a gun NIB from factory that wouldn't go back into full battery, nor would it lock back with either supplied mags....., Remington makes great rifles..... but even they are slipping. They are too busy buying other companies out. I expect Marlin firearms to go downhill soon since Remington gutted them.

Last edited by HKFan9; April 8, 2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old April 8, 2011, 01:20 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Remington-Rand was a typewriter company.
They weren't the same company as Remington Arms.
Old April 8, 2011, 01:34 AM   #10
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
I like my Remington R1. It seems to me the people that don't like it haven't actually used it. I myself have only shot about a hundred rounds through it, but I haven't had an issue with it yet!
I may not have shot a R1, likely will not at least on my dime, as I have seen the insides and fitting firsthand, and read fairly extensive reviews; however, given that Wilson Combat recommends 500 rounds through one of their 1911s before even taking it down and cleaning it, I hardly think that 100 rounds through a R1 really says all that much.

I will stick with Wilson Combat and Colt for my 1911 needs for now; with quite a bit more through all of them than 100 rounds each.

YMMV
Old April 8, 2011, 04:04 AM   #11
Rugerismisticness

They're garbage, remington hasn't used good steel for a gun in years. They're very soft and poorly made.
Old April 8, 2011, 08:34 AM   #12
KyJim

I've also noticed the price increase. I've only picked one up once and was unimpressed at their introductory price in comparison to what else is out there. Still, it's only one gun. However, at their price point, there are other 1911s out there that are more bang for the buck.

No, Remington Arms is not the same company that built the Remington-Rand 1911s but they do share some common history:
Quote:
In 1865, Remington incorporated into a stock company, and in 1873 began a new venture, producing Remington brand typewriters. Remington sold the typewriter business in 1886. The typewriter company eventually became Remington Rand, and the firearms business became Remington Arms Company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Arms#History

Quote:
People hate on SA and Kimber all the time,
I don't recall seeing much hate being directed SA's way. Some people want guns made in America, but that doesn't mean they consider SA 1911s bad.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 8, 2011, 08:38 AM   #13
KyJim

AZAK -- Mentioning the Remington and a Wilson Combat in the same post is hardly fair.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:01 AM   #14
g.willikers

Apparently, we can expect serious price increases in everything, soon.
The reasons given are the demand for raw materials from the eastern countries, China as always, Japan for rebuilding after the quake, and also the downturn in the value of the dollar and increases in the price of oil.
This is supposed to affect just about everything manufactured.
Woe is us.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:07 AM   #15
Rogervzv

Quote:
.... And also the whole "Buy American" thing.
Yes, that is a big deal to me although I have occasionally strayed as when I picked up my Beretta 92fs...
Old April 8, 2011, 09:53 AM   #16
OsOk-308

Quote:
100...even 500 rounds through a semi auto handgun is not even broken in yet.
Well if mine isn't broken in yet, i think it has a good track record so far.

The Remington R1 is a combat pistol, it does not have the best fit, however mine has shot fantastic groups. I will post pics as soon as I can. If you are looking at Springfield Armory pistols, they are fantastic handguns and not to be discounted.

The only problem that I have with my Remington pistol is that the trigger pull is poor. As far as functioning and accuracy goes, mine has performed flawlessly. As for the cast frame, the Remington is an investment cast frame, which isn't as good as a forged frame, however it is not a poor choice. In the Remington R1 manual, it states not to use +p ammunition. If you follow that rule, the cast frame should not cause you any problems.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:10 AM   #17
HKFan9

A combat handgun...... made of cast frames and slides..... filled with MIM parts. I wouldn't trust my life to it. Even Taurus 1911's have a forged frame:barf:

Keep it for a range toy... buy a Colt if you want something to trust your life on.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:32 PM   #18
Wrangler

"I hardly think that 100 rounds through a R1 really says all that much."
"100...even 500 rounds through a semi auto handgun is not even broken in yet."

Yes, because "ONLY shot about a hundred rounds through it" means "an ungodly amount that disproves all biases."

Either way, my 100 rounds with my R1 is also 100 more rounds than any of you guys have shot through an R1. And whomever that might chime in that has had problems with an R1, that sucks but it doesn't make them all bad. Did I say this gun was perfect? No. Did I say there was not a flaw to be found? Nope. Did I say that I liked it? Yes. Even though I have only (yes, ONLY) shot 100 rounds, I believe I have done enough with it to decide that I like it. I am going to keep using it, and if a problem does come up, I'll decide if I still like it then.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:14 PM   #19
HKFan9

So your ok with paying $700 for a gun that is on par with a $300 RIA...? It is CAST frames and slides, and filled with MIM parts. They are assembled in the US... but not made here. SA Mil-specs and GI's can be had cheaper, and have FORGED frames and slides.

If anything if you got a cheaper gun you could have spent the extra money to shoot more than 100 rounds through it.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:22 PM   #20
Ridge_Runner_5

It's now the year 2011, hundredth anniversary of 1911
Old April 8, 2011, 09:56 PM   #21
cougar gt-e

Why? it's called supply and demand. They were selling fast at the old price so they raised the price to maximize profit. It's what successful companies do. But it's a thin line between maximizing profit and ******* off customers.
Old April 8, 2011, 09:59 PM   #22
whippoorwill

wrangler - don't let those who dislike the R1 (and probably have no experience with it) get into your head. Some of their statements are questionable at best, as you know. You like it, and that's what's important.

P.S. - OP... I find that there's a correlation between my becoming interested in a particular model and its price skyrocketing soon after. No hard science to back that up though!
Old April 8, 2011, 11:39 PM   #23
HKFan9

How are our statements questionable? I am telling you facts about how and what it is produced of? Don't believe me? Call The Freedom Group... AKA Remington, and ask them what kind of materials go into the R1 and where they are made.

I have no idea what I am talking about... I only sell guns for a living.

I'll admit to not knowing everything, specially compared to some here, but Remington R1's are built no better than the 1911's that cost almost half of that they do. Remington Arms R1's are not, and will never be anywhere near an old Remington Rand, two different companies.

The R1 is a parts bin gun, they grab a cast frame from Bin A and a cast slide from Bin B. Your just paying extra for the Remington name.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:53 AM   #24
stickhauler

It sounds to me like the Springers are just as American as the R-1 is, they import the frames from Brazil, and build them in Illinois. Remington imports theirs from Manila and build them in New York.
Old April 9, 2011, 01:09 AM   #25
DMMikey

Read some old threads...

The issue of cast versus forged frames has come up here repeatedly, as well as over on the 1911 forum. The idea that a forged frame must be superior to a cast one is hardly a settled issue. A poorly designed forged frame will fail. A properly cast frame can be as strong or stronger than a forged one, modern casting techniques and design have made this possible. The same is true of MIM parts. Some metal parts subjected to some of the highest stresses imaginable have been made by MIM processes deliberately (think jet engines). This part of the argument just doesn't hold water. On the other hand, if fit quality appears poor, this casts doubt on how careful the company is about the whole manufacturing process. Given Remington's track record of late, both in new and established products, I would have real doubts about the quality. I agree, Spend just a little more and get a stripped Colt.