The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 7, 2011, 09:44 PM   #1
vito

Glock 21 vs S&W M&P 45

I was looking at both guns today; both priced almost the same. I liked the feel of the S&W a bit better than the Glock, but 13 rounds in the Glock vs 10 in the S&W seems to more than offset the slight difference in feel. I wonder what you all think about the pluses and minuses of these two guns. I really don't think I could go wrong with either gun.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:51 PM   #2
chadk7

I have an m&p and have shot the 21 as well.

Like you said the smith feels better in my hand. I also think that it is actually appealing to look at which I can't say for the glock. The reliability will be there with either one.

What is the gun going to be used for?

If it is just a range gun then the 13 round magazine might be a little nicer to have. If it is a gun you are going to be carrying I wouldnt think you would need more than 10 rounds. So either one would work nicely for ccw.

I don't think you would be disappointed either way to be honest. So just pick which ever one is going to better suit your needs and feels better in your hand. You could always buy the one you don't pick later on down the road.

Personally I would go with the m&p but good luck with whatever you choose
Old April 8, 2011, 02:18 AM   #3
chris in va

I like my 21SF, but the grip angle is weird to say the least. Really a tossup, so go rent both if you can.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:09 AM   #4
87samurai

I had a 21 and have a M&P45 fs. The M&P seems to me to be a little "softer " shooting, just as accurate, better ergonomics and my wife has no problem shooting it (adjustable back straps)
Old April 8, 2011, 07:35 AM   #5
EdInk

I am going to go against the crowd and suggest the Glock.

My main gripe with the M&P is the trigger feels "chintzy" and the overall fit and finish aren't quite as nice. FWIW I recommend you look at the XD-45 if you're in the market for a .45acp polymer pistol.
Old April 8, 2011, 07:51 AM   #6
jmr40

I've had both. The Smith did feel good in the hand, but the results on the target greatly favored the Glock. Sold the Smith.