The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Dr. Strangelove

What does everyone like for a load database program?

I'm looking for a shareware or freeware version, if possible.

I've downloaded both Reloaders Resource and Point Blank, and I'm not super happy with either one.

What's everyone else using?
Old April 5, 2011, 09:02 PM   #2
sir_n0thing

I've been tracking my loads in an Excel doc I made.... but a nice purpose-built program would be nice!
Old April 5, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Dr. Strangelove

I've been fooling around with Point Blank again tonight, it's a pretty good program, but it's lost my (tediously) input information twice in the last couple of years. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug, but I keep a paper backup of all the info, which is what I'm trying to get away from.

Google it, it's a free download, the best feature is just being able to hold your targets up to the screen and plot the holes for group size, etc. I read up and learned how to change the databases a little to reflect inputs I wanted, it's a little more and less than I wanted at the same time...
Old April 6, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
azar92

I use the older Point Blank 1.8a. I keep it on a thumb drive and back it up to my computers hard drive occasionally. I've never had it lose data and it's worked great, but I like the backup just in case. There's a number of things I'd like to see or changes I'd make if I could, but for being free it's pretty darn good.

Of all the software I tried, RSI Shooting Labs was my favorite for keeping track of loads and for it's many other features. At $100, it isn't cheap though...
Old April 6, 2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Kevin Rohrer

I just got Load From a Disk. It's $50.

You get what you pay for.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old April 6, 2011, 10:30 AM   #6
PawPaw

I use Point Blank as well. It's served me for the past several years. I also keep my reloading notes in an Excel document that I keep on my computer and on a flash drive in my pocket. I refer to the spreadsheet more than the Point Blank program, but I like the ballistic calculator in the program.

Use whatever works for you.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 6, 2011, 10:58 AM   #7
dlb435

I'm also using Excel. A lot of load data found on the internet can be cut and pasted into Excel files.
Old April 6, 2011, 02:43 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

If I were to digitally track my loads, I would just use Excel, or a similar spreadsheet application (such as OpenOffice's spreadsheet program, that can be made to interface with their highly configurable database, quite easily).

Right now, everything is just on paper.