The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 5, 2011, 07:30 PM   #1
Kimio

Do they make full length M16 styled AR15's with detachable carrying handles?

Looking around, I notice that most companies seem to manufacture the carbine style AR15. I like the detachable carrying handle of the M4 Carbine style AR15, but was curious if it is possible to get an AR15 with the full 20" barrel like the M16 but with the detachable carrying handle/sights. I'd eventually want to mount an optic on this rifle, and I really dislike the look of having to mount one on top of the carrying handle.

I've looked over at S&W and their M&P 15 line, and it does not look like they have one with a 20" barrel. I've yet to look at Colt, but Colt AR15's tend to be very pricey, I'll look into Danial Defense as well, but really this us just a curiosity. The only other place I can think of is perhaps BCM, they may have parts for one to build one with a 20" barrel, but complete rifles I'm not 100% sure.

EDIT: It looks like BCM does carry something that appears to be a full length 20" barrel AR15, however I can't see what they price them at. Looks like orders have been suspended until May. Interesting, if anyone else can point me in the direction where I may find other rifles like this one shown on BCM

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...ifle-s/146.htm

I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by Kimio; April 5, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old April 5, 2011, 08:33 PM   #2
nathaniel

You could always put a fullsize barrel on an upper. But check out DPMS, they might have one. If they dont carry one you can call them and have them put one together if you dont wanna do it yourself.
Old April 5, 2011, 08:36 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

The varmint barred ones have flat tops on them for mounting optics. Most have the longer barrels, though they tend to be heavier.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:09 PM   #4
David the Gnome

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411536618

Just throw on the carry handle and you're good to go. Although this one in particular is a 6.8, not a 5.56.

DoubleStar does make one though. http://star15.com/basic_rifles.html
Old April 5, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5
ATW525

Bushmaster makes some and I know Davidsons had a few last I checked.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:31 PM   #6
smoakingun

dpms, rock river arms, bushmaster, olympic, and delton all make them
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old April 5, 2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Technosavant

Yes, they're out there. It may be easier to build up a lower (or get a complete lower) and mate it to a flat top 20" upper rather than find that particular combo in a shop.

Generally, folks going for the M16 type KISS rifle will go with the regular A2 upper, but that's by no means the only way to get one.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:22 PM   #8
arizona98tj

Smith & Wesson makes the M&P15 PC, a 20" barrel model with A2 stock, that comes in either camouflage or regular dress. It is one of their higher end M&P15s.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:27 PM   #9
psycho nut

Stag Arms Model 4 has a removable handle.
Old April 6, 2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Kimio

Thankyou for that suggestion Nut, may I ask if you've fired one of those rifles before? I know Stag isn't quite as prestigious of a name as say Colt of S&W. Do Magpul mags work well with the rifle by chance?
Old April 6, 2011, 08:24 AM   #11
jjbduke2004

Rock River A4

Bushmaster A3

Armalite doesn't have a "traditional" flattop only varminters and SPRs.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:36 AM   #12
Mobuck

I got in on this late. Are you wanting the light, thin M-16 type barrel or a heavier contour barrel? Finding a "pencil" barrel on a flattop might be a problem since most of those are on A1 or A2 type uppers.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:46 AM   #13
B. Lahey

I wanted a Colt A4gery, so I had Wild West Guns build me one out of a 6920, a small mound of Colt parts, and a Sabre Defense 20" .gov-profile 1in7" barrel. It is a magnificent assemblage.

No optic yet, but I wanted a flattop for when my eyes take a turn south by genetic predisposition sometime in the next 10 years or so.

Last edited by B. Lahey; April 6, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old April 6, 2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Technosavant

Quote:
I know Stag isn't quite as prestigious of a name as say Colt of S&W.
Stag is just fine- they aren't as big a name as Colt or S&W, but I'd put them right up there with S&W. Stag is the civilian side of the business from Continental Machine and Tool. CMT has indeed made military rifles. When S&W first came out with the M&P rifles, the early ones were rebadged Stags.

I'd have absolutely no hesitance to purchase a Stag.

Pmags should work just fine- the newer Pmags were tweaked to drop free out of tighter magwells; I have a Superior Arms lower that won't drop the older ones freely, but it will do so with the new ones.
Old April 6, 2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Kimio

Thank you all for the helpful info you've given me. Concerning the Stag model 4, do they do well with steel cased ammunition? I don't quite have the money to invest into reloading tools just yet, so I'll be using the cheap stuff for a while, mostly wolf. I figure if a gun can't run the cheap stuff, then it's not worth my time.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:50 PM   #16
precision_shooter

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=225

Try this one...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old April 6, 2011, 04:58 PM   #17
emcon5

Colt makes one as well.
Old April 6, 2011, 09:52 PM   #18
psycho nut

Yeah, I bought one a month ago. So far I love the thing. I'm planning on buying another one and would definitely recommend one.

When I was looking into getting one everyone either liked theirs or had never had one.

Edit:
Quote:
Thank you all for the helpful info you've given me. Concerning the Stag model 4, do they do well with steel cased ammunition? I don't quite have the money to invest into reloading tools just yet, so I'll be using the cheap stuff for a while, mostly wolf. I figure if a gun can't run the cheap stuff, then it's not worth my time.
The first 100 rounds that I bought were russian steel case. The only malfunction was a dud round. It took them like a champ.
Old April 7, 2011, 04:15 PM   #19
Kimio

That's good to hear, may I ask were you purchased your rifle nut? I was looking at Buds Gun Shop, and while they have the best price, they're also unfortunately out of stock. I've never ordered anything from them so I don't know how long it takes them to restock their firearms.

If I can avoid spending too much money I'd really prefer to, current calculations for the rifle, FFl transfer, Tax and 1000 rounds of Wolf ammunition from AIMs places me at about $1,149. Many other place that I've seen are charging well over 1k for this rifle, and I'm not sure why buds has it so low by comparison. Regardless, I'm just trying to find the best price.
Old April 7, 2011, 10:58 PM   #20
psycho nut

My local shop ordered it for me. They called their distributor and one was in stock so I had them get it. It was $890.95 before tax. Considering Stag's website has the MSRP at $1,100 I was happy.

I ordered it on a Wednesday at noon and it was there that Friday morning, which was awesome. I bought the 4L by the way.
Old April 7, 2011, 11:46 PM   #21
Kimio

Hmm, do you know if your local gun shop has a website and if they do out of state orders by chance? I checked out Gun Broker.com with limited luck and Buds Gun shop seems to be the only one I've found with the best price. The 4L has the ejection port on the left side if I'm correct, I'm a righty myself, but my friend sure would love to get a left handed rifle. Hot brass flying across your field of view is never really fun lol.
Old April 7, 2011, 11:57 PM   #22
psycho nut

No website. I don't know if they do out of state stuff but you might have better luck finding a shop where you live and asking them. The place I go to doesn't stock them but they can order them, which is what they did.

If you just ask around some local places I'm sure you'd find someone who either has one or can get one. Being a righty you also have way more choices than just Stag if you can't get one.
Old April 8, 2011, 06:45 AM   #23
jad0110

Steel cased ammo isn't a problem the vast majority of the time.

Lacquer coated ammo can however be an issue in some guns, so try any lacquered cases in a small quantity initially.