The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 4, 2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Osage

New One From UPS on Shipping Ammo

I called UPS today to see if I could send a box of ammo with my UPS driver if I labeled it ORM-D. I was told the by the customer service rep that I needed a special contract with UPS to ship small arms ammo and an actual account number (my account is the non-commercial online variety). I also have to take it to the hub.

Has anyone ever heard of the requirement for a hazmat contract? I've done a lot of searching and haven't heard that. I just need to ship a small amount of 223.
Old April 4, 2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Osage

Did some more searching. Found this on the UPS site. Is this old news to y'all?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...?WT.svl=SubNav

New Regulatory Requirements

Elimination of ORM-D Classification

In an attempt to harmonize and align with international standards, the DOT has amended the 49CFR regulations regarding the ORM-D classification. Effective January 19, 2011, with the publication of the HM-215K final rule, the hazard class of ORM-D is being eliminated. Those materials may still be shipped classified as a limited quantity (ltd qty). In conjunction with ORM-D hazard class elimination in HM-215K, limited quantity ground shipments will no longer require shipping papers when prepared under the new rule. This includes those materials previously classed as ltd qty that required shipping papers via ground transport.

There is a transition period for shippers to comply with the new classification, marking and labeling requirements. Until December 31, 2013 a limited quantity package containing a consumer commodity as defined in 171.8 may be reclassed as ORM-D, or until December 31, 2012 for ORM-D-Air material. UPS will begin accepting materials with the new markings effective April 1, 2011. See examples of the new ground and air limited quantity markings below that will be replacing the ORM-D and ORM-D-Air markings.

Ground ltd qty marking

Air ltd qty marking
Old April 4, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

Sounds like you talked to someone who might also work part-time for the IRS. You'll get a different answer from each one, everytime you call.

I would call back and have the directive you quoted in front of you. You will get a different answer.
Old April 4, 2011, 12:39 PM   #4
irish52084

Call your local ups center and talk to them if you haven't already. Make sure you talk to someone who deals with hazmat and ORM-D and make sure they double check with others before accepting their answer as the end all be all. If you are shipping ground to a place that can accept ground shipments, I don't see why they need a commercial account. ORM-D air might require hazmat like services, so you may need a commercial account to ship by air.

I work for UPS, but not in hazmat and ORM-D, so this info is not all encompassing. The people who work in the customer service counter are not always up to date on things, usually they are very good, but they don't always get all the memos and are treated kind of like red headed step children in my building.
Old April 4, 2011, 03:24 PM   #5
langenc

Some years ago I was at a HUB and was shipping a gun.

The young dude behind the counter told me he couldnt ship it unless it lacked one part. It was one part short-that was why I was sending it back.

Just another individual making up rules as he went-what he thought the rules should be-some LEO are that way.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:11 PM   #6
mes227

I've had consistently TERRIBLE service with UPS but consistently GREAT service with FedEx. You might give them a call.
Old April 4, 2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Osage

I"m taking the ammo by UPS tomorrow. I'll see what answer I get. Fedex will be next.
Old April 4, 2011, 11:52 PM   #8
irish52084

To be honest, it's probably cheaper to ship fed ex most of the time. The difference is in the tracking of a package, if that matters to you. For instance, ups will only ship a handgun next day air, if they know it's a pistol, while fed ex and the USPS will ship them ground or 2-day air. UPS does not like shipping pistols ground because of the higher risk of theft, and guns do get stolen in shipment. It just happened in my building, someone stole a couple rifles and a pistol over the last few months.
Old April 5, 2011, 02:11 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I've had consistently TERRIBLE service with UPS but consistently GREAT service with FedEx. You might give them a call.
It depends on your local area, and the idiots behind the counter.

One of my brothers recently spent nearly 4.5 hours trying to ship a long gun through FedEx (not even a handgun). He was finally told by a supervisor, that they could not help him.

Went to the UPS hub (right down the street), and he was out the door within 2 minutes of walking up to the counter.

I've had similar experiences with brass, bullets, and ammunition.

It all depends on the idiot you're talking to behind the counter, or on the phone.
Old April 5, 2011, 03:01 AM   #10
natman

Quote:
For instance, ups will only ship a handgun next day air, if they know it's a pistol, while fed ex and the USPS will ship them ground or 2-day air.
It's illegal to send a pistol via USPS unless you are an FFL.