The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 3, 2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Marquezj16

Compact Beretta 92FS

I just bought one this weekend. I did not even know they existed until the person behind the counter showed me what else he had in the safe. I looked up the net for a review or some kind of write up and did not really find much information. So because of the lack of information, I am giving my amateur's review on my Beretta 92FS Compact.

First, the gun is very similar to the military M9. It's just a little smaller and capacity is 13+1. I did not have to use the manual to disassemble for cleaning because its just like the M9. Push a button on the right side of the frame, twist on the left side and the slide comes off easily. All parts have a nice fit and finish. The grip feels thick but comfortable. It feels solid and it's heavier than my full size SIG SP2022. It's really not a very compact gun except the fact that it's smaller than a regular 92FS.

I took it out to the range today. Shot at various distances, 5-20 yards. When I do my part, it puts rounds on the target where it was aimed. The trigger pull on double action is fairly long. Shooting on single action makes it so much easier to hit the target. Recoil was not harsh and follow up shots was fairly quick. Overall,, I was very happy with my new purchase. I will update whenever something new comes up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0305.jpg (228.7 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0306.jpg (229.9 KB, 515 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0307.jpg (227.5 KB, 438 views)
Old April 3, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2
4thHorseman

I bought a new also a week or so ago. I love the gun.
One of the mags would not shoot hollow points. I took it apart and cleaned up the follower and it works good now.
It is a great gun. I want to call it "little" because it is supposed to be a compact, but it is bigger than a Commander size 1911. Again, I like the weapon very much.
The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once." -- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003
Old April 3, 2011, 08:42 PM   #3
riverwalker76

Is the pistol a new model? If so ... I want one!
Old April 3, 2011, 11:34 PM   #4
AustinTX

Not new. They haven't been sold in the US for a long, long time, but a good number of them were just imported. Oddly enough, Beretta USA won't even acknowledge that the Compacts are being sold in the country.

Congrats to the first two posters on your fine new pistols!
Beretta Billennium/Billennium/92 Steel I/92 Steel I/92FS/92FS/92FS INOX/92FS INOX/8045F/84BB—HK P7M10/P7M10/USP Elite—SIG P210-5 HF/P210-5/P210-6 HF/P210-6/P210-6/P49—SIG Sauer P229—Colt Gold Cup NM/Gold Cup NM/Python—Browning Hi-Power—USFA 1910—Mauser Luger 29/70/HSc—S&W Model 41/Model 57/Model 57/Model 48-4—Freedom Arms Model 83-PG—Walther PPS—Glock 17—CZ 52—FEG ACK—Kahr P380
Old April 4, 2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Leejack

Congrats and welcome to the forum!

Nice gun!
Old April 4, 2011, 06:23 AM   #6
ShipWreck

Congrats!

There is actually a lot of talk about this model in the past month, but ya just gotta know where to look. You may also want to check out the Beretta Forum

http://berettaforum.net/vb/index.php

They are great guns. They haven't been imported in over 10 years.

I managed to get 2 of them a few weeks ago, actually ")

Old April 4, 2011, 07:14 AM   #7
Leejack

Shipwreck, how does the grip size compare to the full size 92s?

Is it friendlier to those with a smaller hand?

Thanks!
Old April 4, 2011, 08:58 AM   #8
twhidd

I picked this one up a couple of weeks ago myself. I ordered it from one of the online vendors.

Old April 4, 2011, 09:47 AM   #9
ShipWreck

Quote:
Shipwreck, how does the grip size compare to the full size 92s?

Is it friendlier to those with a smaller hand?

Thanks!
Width wise, it is the same. It is a 13 round mag instead of 15 rounds. It is shorter, though.

It's about the same length as a USPc or P2000 HK. With the mag extension, you can get a good two handed grip.

If I wasn't already using a 92FS (fullsize) and an M9A1 interchangeably as my carry guns, I'd probably use one of my compacts. The guns are VERY accurate. I just don't see the point in scratching up yet another 92 type gun for carry when I am satisfied with my fullsize 92 for carry every day.

But if I was just starting out carrying a 92, I'd carry this.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:13 AM   #10
Don P

Nice and it wouldn't hurt my feeling to have one. What lenght is the barrel?
Old April 4, 2011, 10:14 AM   #11
Leejack

Thanks amigo!

I asked because my daughter complains of the grip size on my PT. She says she just can't get a comfy grip on it. I've heard a few similar complaints back in the Air Force days about the 9.

For you and me, they're very ergonomic, just an extension of the hand!

Those compacts Berettas sure are stunning, hope I can get one!
Old April 4, 2011, 12:53 PM   #12
ShipWreck

Quote:
Nice and it wouldn't hurt my feeling to have one. What lenght is the barrel?
They are 4.3 inches long.

I have small hands, but with the Hogue grips, the Beretta 92 platform works well for me.
Old April 4, 2011, 08:52 PM   #13
5.56RifleGuy

I have one of them in stainless. I shoot it in IDPA matches. It works well.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:33 PM   #14
hogwiley

I just saw one of these in a local gun shop and considered buying it as ive been looking for a quality DA/SA 9mm, and this gun is considerably cheaper than a sig. Ultimately though because this gun is so heavy and chunky I figured its not real practical for CC and I might as well go with the full size if I go the beretta route.

The grip is just as fat as the full size, just shorter. If you love the 92fs and always wanted to carry it concealed but thought it was a tad too big, this is the gun for you. Otherwise its just a slightly less accurate and lower capacity 92fs, with mags possibly expensive and hard to come by in the future. Although it does take full size 92 mags, they just stick out awkwardly.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:56 PM   #15
Davey

Neat. Will have to look into that one once RTC comes to IL.
Old April 5, 2011, 05:12 PM   #16
IM_Lugger

Very nice! I need one too to keep my 92FS Inox company.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:07 PM   #17
Marquezj16

Shipwreck, where did you get your Hogue grips? I'm also looking for extra mags but not the regular 15 rds and a holster. Thanks in advance.

Can't wait to take this to the range again.

Last edited by Marquezj16; April 5, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old April 5, 2011, 10:45 PM   #18
ShipWreck

Just google "Beretta 92 compact hogue grips." You will see a bunch of places that sells them - even Hogue sells them, and I saw them on the Beretta site. I ordered my 2 sets from a vendor Amazon - but they sold out.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:43 PM   #19
Marquezj16

2nd Trip to Range

Had the pleasure of shooting today. I concentrated on DA trigger pull for about thirty rounds. While the pull is long, it was easy enough. Then I did thirty rounds of SA and that made it so much easier to shoot. I then went to double tap drills, first one DA and follow up with SA. I have to say it was such an easy drill with this gun. While I'm no expert or marksman. I did hit both 8 inch targets with each shot. Ammo used were Winchester and Remington. Both functioned flawlessly. Very happy with the results so far.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:29 AM   #20
Pilot

I've always wanted one of these, but the darn slide mounted safety that works opposite to all my other guns has always made me hesitiate.

I scratched the 9MM Compact itch many years ago with a CZ-75D PCR, but I really wouldn't mind having this Beretta. They really are nice pistols. Decisions, decisions.
Old April 15, 2011, 08:16 AM   #21
Marquezj16

@Pilot- I based my purchase on my familiarity with the M9/92FS and while they are not rare, they are also not common. For a compact version, you only lose 2 rds capacity. You can use the same mags as the full size, they fit but there is a gap and I have not found anyone yet that carries the mag cover like on the XD(M)s.
If you get a chance to buy one, jump on it. I don't know if this is a limited run production but not many people own one yet. Unless you are Shipwreck, he bought two.
Old April 15, 2011, 11:00 AM   #22
ShipWreck

Yep - had to buy 2. I have a double set of several, actually

Old April 16, 2011, 03:46 AM   #23
ClydeFrog

Not bad, but...

That compact alloy frame Beretta pistol looks good but I'd go with a slick new PX4 Storm C format, .

I'm still going to hope Beretta USA puts out a new mid size ambi type PX4 with the C or DA only fire control system.
I prefer it for concealed or protection use.

CF
Old April 17, 2011, 11:23 PM   #24
Marquezj16

Blackhawk Holster

Got a blackhawk serpa holster for full size 92FS to use as my range holster. My compact fits nice and snug. I like the retention screw adjustment feature. Will try this instead of a thigh holster for next trip to range.

Nice collection Shipwreck!

Last edited by Marquezj16; April 18, 2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:55 PM   #25
Marquezj16

Fobus Holster and Mag carrier

Picked up a Fobus holster and mag carrier. Will try this for conceal carry and will update with review.

It has a positive locking feel when holster. Draw is quick with out a hitch if done with strong pull. Holster stays in place on my hip even without belt. Sticks out from hip. Would probably require a size larger shirt to pully conceal for me.