The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2011, 05:09 PM   #1
Uncle Malice

XD/XDM Trigger Jobs Review: Springer Precision vs. Powder River Precision

Introduction:

A week or two ago I asked whether any of you had any experience regarding the Springer Precision or Powder River Precision trigger job kits. I did not get many answers and Googling for comparative reviews did not return a lot of results.

There were many reviews to be found on each trigger job. Most received many praises. Both had those that had a lot of trouble installing them. Overall, people seemed to be happy with either product. I decided that I would purchase and install the trigger kit from each manufacturer to see which I felt was better.

Both products claim to reduce take up, over travel, reset, trigger weight, and provide a crisper break.

Springer Precision: $130

The Springer Precision trigger kit comes with a replacement sear, sear spring, trigger bar, and trigger spring. It does not come with any written instructions. There are videos on YouTube that help to an extent, but they are done with an XDM and if you have an XD, it's a little bit different. The Springer Precision replacement trigger bar is of very good quality and milled out of a single piece of stainless steel. The trigger bar has more material at the front end where it makes contact with the frame. This area is over-sized and will need to be filed down until you have enough movement in the trigger to fully release the sear.

That part can be a bit of a pain as you have to remove and reinstall the trigger bar each time to make sure that you don't over do it. Unfortunately, that was not the most difficult part of the Springer Precision kit. The biggest problem for me was that the new sear did not match up properly with striker safety lever. It took me a bit to realize what was actually happening here. I had enough movement in the trigger bar to release the striker, I could see it releasing through the small gap in the back of the gun, however it wasn't moving all the way forward and was instead getting caught on the striker safety lever which was protruding up above the sear and catching the striker. I had to lock the slide back and disassemble the slide so that I could get the slide off of the gun to continue fitting. This proved to be especially cumbersome due to the striker retaining roll pin which I had to hammer out via a punch dropped down into the magazine well.

Once I finally got the slide back off and the frame disassembled, I could see exactly what the problem was. After finding this issue and searching, it seems that I'm not the first one that had this problem. I found another post and these photos on XD Talk.

XD Sear with striker safety lever:

SP Sear with striker safety lever:

In order to allow the striker safety lever to sit flush (or slightly below) the edge of the sear, I had to grind down the tab on the bottom of the sear where the striker safety lever makes contact to rotate the sear. This task wasn't especially difficult, but it wasn't something that I was expecting to have to perform.

Once I finally got everything fitted properly and installed back into the gun, the end result was indeed a nicer trigger pull. It didn't feel like it removed a great deal of pre-travel, but I didn't mark where it was before and after the installation. The trigger is definitely a bit lighter, and over travel was reduced. The gun shoots well and I can say that the trigger kit is worth the money and will be a nice improvement upon the stock trigger. Make sure that you remove the roll pin from the slide BEFORE starting. That way if you do have to disassemble the slide, it will be relatively easy. It's a good quality trigger kit, and aside from the complications that I had, the gun shoots nicely.

Powder River Precision: $145

The Powder River Precision kit comes with a replacement sear, striker safety lever, sear spring, trigger spring, and trigger with integrated over travel stop. According to PRP, this is actually a Springfield Armory OEM replacement trigger available on custom competition guns. The PRP kit comes in a better packaging than the Springer Precision kit and also comes with printed instructions on what parts you might need to fit. Other than the over travel stop on the trigger, the only part that I had to fit was the bottom of the sear to allow for proper grip safety clearance. Everything else slide into face just perfectly. There was no extra play and they weren't too tight. This really reinforced the impression that the Powder River kit is of top notch quality.

I put the gun together before modifying the over travel stop on the trigger to get a feel for where it was and how much I would need to removed. After that, I took it back apart to grind down the tab to an approximation of where it needed to be using a grinding disc on my Dremel. Reassembled the gun and the stop was just a little bit too long to release the sear. Using a flat, smooth file, I was able to work it behind the trigger while still installed. I tested frequently and eventually got the exact right amount of material removed so that the trigger stops at the exact moment that the striker is released. There seems to be less pre-travel, zero over travel, and a soft, clean break, with a very short reset as well.

I have not gotten this gun to the range yet, but I expect it to shoot very well. The trigger is spectacular.

Conclusions:

My conclusion is that both trigger kits are good and certainly improve upon the stock XD/XDM trigger. My impressions are that the Powder River Precision kit is of better quality, easier installation, and more improvement than the Springer Precision version. The $15 increase in cost for the PRP kit over the SP kit are more than worth it - even if only for the improved over travel stop method.

One thing that might be of use is just to buy the Springer Precision trigger bar simply for it's quality. That may, or may not be worth it to somebody.

In any case, I am impressed with the results of both kits, but I would give my recommendation for the Powder River kit over the Springer Precision kit any day. I hope that this review will help someone like me who is trying to figure out which kit to chose.

Comments and Questions are welcome.
Old April 2, 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Great write-up, Malice. Don't tell me you spent the money on both of those kits just to give us a review.

If any constructive criticism to be given is provide some pics on the areas you had to modify/file down and such...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 2, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
cougar gt-e

Where does the trigger start on each kit? I have large hands and chose the PRP kit because it looked like Springer moved the trigger back more.

Oh, I have a polishing wheel and shined up the factory sear, striker and trigger parts. It really made a huge difference in feel with it now being way smooth. I like to do things one at a time to better gauge the change and the improvement from polishing was at least as much as the trigger kit.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Uncle Malice

Quote:
If any constructive criticism to be given is provide some pics on the areas you had to modify/file down and such...
Sure, with regards to the Springer Precision kit and how I had to modify the sear for the striker safety lever to fit properly, Hopefully this will explain a little more.

The notch you can see sticking out of the bottom of the sear here is where I had to grind down in order to allow greater rotation of the striker safety lever.

This picture shows the engagement of the striker safety lever to the sear. Hopefully it makes sense.

Old April 2, 2011, 08:12 PM   #5
Uncle Malice

For the Powder River kit, where I had to lightly grind up on the lower part of the sear face to allow proper functioning of the grip safety - the photo below shows where I had to remove the little bit of material from.

Note: This is actually documented in the installation instructions that come with the Powder river kit, complete with illustrations.

Old April 2, 2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Where does the trigger start on each kit? I have large hands and chose the PRP kit because it looked like Springer moved the trigger back more.
That is correct. The Springer Precision kit still breaks very close to all the way back.

I would say that the PRP kit keeps the trigger a little further forward than the SP version.

Oh, and Tuttle:

Quote:
Don't tell me you spent the money on both of those kits just to give us a review.
Well, not JUST to give you guys a review. I did want to put a kit on the 2 guns, and wasn't sure which kit to use. I was going to use Powder River originally, but when I found out that they do not yet have a kit for the XD with thumb safety, I had to look elsewhere. I found out that Springer Precision did have a model for that, so I ordered it. Once that was done, I went ahead and ordered the PRP kit for my XDM-45 so I could compare them, and also because the trigger with over travel stop seemed more logical to me that the trigger bar version.

So voila.. this is what ya get.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Well, that makes better sense. I must have missed that in your OP.

Thanks for the pics...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 30, 2012, 04:11 PM   #8
mattmobile2003

Springer Precision Kit

I just installed the Springer Precision Kit. Whish I would have seen this review first before purchasing!
The trigger is great now, much improved from the stock/factory one.
The pre-travel is cut in half and there is noticable difference on the trigger pull. Over-travel and reset is better too.
Still no where near the feel of my Kimber 1911 but a big improvement over stock!
Main problem is the vague instruction videos that Springer Precision has.
I should have filmed my instalation and pointed out the improtant steps they don't show very well on their videos.
My striker safety lever is also above the sear as pictured in photos below and gave me the headache also of having to take the slide apart to get the gun field striped and back together!
Old January 30, 2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Uncle Malice

Yep, same experience! The Springer Precision kit is still definitely a good improvement, but I would give the PRP kit higher marks, and it was definitely easier to install, requiring no fitting other than the over-travel stop on the trigger.

Thanks for commenting!
Old February 17, 2012, 08:45 PM   #10
sf8194

I have been wondering abt the two different trigger kits as well so thanks for that comparision. I noticed u said the springer precision bar is better...Will it work with the PRP trigger kit?
Old December 30, 2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Naples ccw

Powder River Kit problem

I have an academy buddy that put this kit in an XD and discovered it would not fire when cold soaked. They did have a solution to the issue but I don't exactly remember what the fix was. The OAT was about 20F
Old December 30, 2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Uncle Malice

Seems like the kit wasn't properly fitted. There's no reason for it to not fire unless you just haven't removed enough from your over travel stop where if the temp changes and something contracts a little more it may not get enough movement to release the striker.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:49 PM   #13
tahunua001

I've had the PRP ultimate kit since I bought my first handgun because a bunch of glockers were badmouthing the factory trigger on XDMs and after actually firing it(added that there are no local smiths willing to install it) I decided to just stick with the factory triggers... so I still have brand new kit laying around if anyone wants to buy it
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:11 PM   #14
tgreening

Quote:
so I still have brand new kit laying around if anyone wants to buy it

And asking price would be???
Old December 30, 2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Uncle Malice

It's easy dude. Install it!
Old February 20, 2014, 11:08 AM   #16
challl80

I joined this forum just to say thank you to Uncle Malice for this post! This is exactly what I was looking for and could not find anywhere else! I bought the PRP Kit this morning.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:24 AM   #17
Uncle Malice

Congratulations on the kit! Enjoy! Feel free to share your thoughts once it's done.