The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1
kylewood

Do Lee dies bump the shoulder back?

does anybody know if Lee resizing dies push the shoulder back?

Wood
Old March 31, 2011, 07:24 PM   #2
steve4102

Depends on if it is a Lee Full Length Die or a Collet Neck Sizing die. All FL dies will bump the shoulder back, no neck dies will.
Old March 31, 2011, 07:33 PM   #3
kylewood

It is a full length die. Im thinking about getting some new dies... For 223, i load a lot of mixed brass. I'm wondering if i should get a die with bushings or not. Would like to also use the same die for bench rest ammo using only one type of brass. Any input?

Wood
Old March 31, 2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can use full-length dies to neck size only.

You simply back the die out of the press until only the neck has been sized, which you can tell by smoking the case neck and shoulder before you start adjusting the die.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 1, 2011, 01:38 AM   #5
steve4102

Bushing dies give you the option of adjusting the amount of neck tension by changing bushing sizes. They have no advantage over any other FL die as far as bumping the shoulder back.

Forster makes a great die called the "Bushing Bump Neck Sizing" die. If you are loading for an AR or other semi-auto it's best if you stick to Full Length sizing and leave the neck and bump dies for the bolt actions.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:31 AM   #6
hornady

If you want to get right down to it, no Die manufacturer will guarantee the amount the Die will bump back the shoulder. Dies are made with reamers.
Anew reamer will cut deeper than one at the end of the run.
Normal Reamer wear, but with in an expectable depth. If loading for one rifle the Dies should be set up for the chamber of the rifle they will be fired from.
The instructions that come with new dies, guarantee only that if set per their instructions the round will chamber in all rifles of that chambering.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:42 AM   #7
PA-Joe

You control the amount of shoulder bumping by adjusting the sizing die down or up. If you are shooting a semi they usually require FL sizing. For a bolt you can use the neck bushing die. The object is to only bump the shoulder back the minimum amount so that the round will still chamber. This extends case life.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Walkalong

All full length sizing dies will if adjusted properly. They make different types of gauges to measure how far we push the shoulder back or you can use a case gauge to adjust the sizer. The best way for autos is to size to fit a case gauge.
Old April 3, 2011, 12:24 PM   #9
5R milspec

yes the Lee die ( Full Length ) die will bump the shoulder back a little.just set the die to do just that.for me I just do set the die to just touch the shell holder.then I run a case in to see if it has moved the shoulder any.if it hasn't I then move the die in a little more till it does.now that it does I run all tha case was wanting to resize.
Old April 6, 2011, 06:14 PM   #10
kylewood

Thanks for all the help.

Wood