The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 28, 2011, 01:02 AM   #1
gedenke

14.5 inch AR-15 barrel

I'm thinking about getting a 14.5 inch barrel for my AR-15 build. Don't want to go the SBR/NFA route so it'll have to have a permanently attached FH. So far I've found this one:

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/...ash-hider-1191

Anybody know of another place to buy a good quality setup like this for around the same $ or less?

This isn't a "barrel length vs. velocity" thread, so please, if you can't answer the question above, save your opinion for the arguments elsewhere.
Old March 28, 2011, 06:46 AM   #2
karlb

I was going to rebarrel one of mine with a 14.5 lightweight midlength barrel. When it was all said and done it was cheaper for me to buy a BCM 14.5 lw midlength upper for $399 and sell my existing upper receiver for $90.
Old March 28, 2011, 07:11 AM   #3
GaryM&P

As far as 14.5" barrels and permanent flash hiders go, I've owned three different brands:
CMMG
BCM
Sabre Defence

Of those, I would highly recommend:
BCM
Sabre Defence
Old March 28, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
roklok

I used a 14.5 Bushmaster barrel for a build. I really like it, it is Chromelined and it is cheaper than the one you linked to. However it is a carbine length gas system, not mid length like the one you are looking at.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:53 AM   #5
rjrivero

You can get a Daniel Defense Barrel for $286 at ADCO. If you have a flash hider you want pinned, you just pay $30 for that service.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/itemdeta...orynumber=4109
Old March 28, 2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Blackops_2

Can't complain about mine I recommend BCM also ^
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

"Death smiles at us all, all a man can do is smile back."
Old March 28, 2011, 09:47 PM   #7
gedenke

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Daniel Defence offering from ADCO is considerably more expensive than both the CMMG I found and the BCM as well, so that doesn't seem to be a very good deal. The Sabre Defence and the BCM both have very good reputation for quality, but BCM is sold out (and has been) and SD is too.

I would like to get the barrel ordered in the next few weeks so it looks like the CMMG or BCM may be the route I go, if in fact I decide to go 14.5".
Old March 28, 2011, 10:15 PM   #8
HKFan9

Not trying to sound like an idiot or demean your post in any way.

But is there an actual upside to the 14.5 inch barrel vs the 16inch. I know I know, the real M4 runs with a 14.5 inch barrel. But I see these offered a lot, and even wondering why they were originally designed with the 14.5 inch.

I like the 14.5's but I am a nit picker and would probably spend the extra time and money and get the tax stamp instead of just doing the flash hider thing. I am my own burden.

My question is is there any upside other than having a more compact carbine? I know a lot of rounds and optics are calibrated for a 62gr out of a 14.5inch barrel.... I see that as one upside, but curious if there are any others?
Old March 28, 2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Blackops_2

Other than a more compact OAL no there is really no other reason to have it. That being said i don't like the OAL of a 16" and i have a year before i can fill out the paper work for a SBR, so i opted for the shortest length i could get legally. It's about 2" shorter than my friends RRA 16". This will also be suppressed in the years to come, which again the shorter profile will come into play to me. When i think SBR i think 10.5/11.5 around that area. Although before i bought this 14.5 if i would've been old enough to get a 12.5 i would've jumped on it. Thats my ideal length for a tactical carbine in a sense, something you intend to train with, it seems a perfect compromise between 10.5/11.5 and the 14.5/16" package. Then you pair a 5" suppressor with a 12.5you have a 17" OAL package barrel wise that is.
"Combined synergy of a man and rifle is matchless, the steadiness of hand and acuity of vision, and finally the art of knowing how to make the rifle an extension of the body, all equate to the ultimate synthesis of man and machine."

Old March 28, 2011, 10:54 PM   #10
gedenke

Ok guys, while I'm sure you both have very good points, let's not derail this thread please. Re-read the last sentence in my 1st post. I'm just looking for places to get a good deal on a barrel, not debate which one is or is not better.

I simply want a light, manueverable, carbine and I refuse to pay the feds extra $ just to put my gun on a "list", that's it.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:00 PM   #11
gedenke

Almost forgot (for gary):
Quote:
As far as 14.5" barrels and permanent flash hiders go, I've owned three different brands:
CMMG
BCM
Sabre Defence

Of those, I would highly recommend:
BCM
Sabre Defence
Any particular reason you wouldn't recommend CMMG? I'm kindof leaning towards that one so I'd like to know if there's a good reason I shouldn't.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Blackops_2

No derailing here just telling HK my opinion on his question.

One thing is do you want mil spec? Or does that matter? CMMG has mixed reviews from what i've read.

Old March 29, 2011, 12:04 AM   #13
HKFan9

I wasn't trying to derail anything.. just simply asking a question.

The reasons I see are:

OAL
Bullets designed for 14.5inch
Optics calibrated for 14.5inch barrels.

Was just curious to know if there are any more benefits, not trying to debate. Clearly FPS is gonna be loss but not that much.

Some bolt rifles with manlicher stocks, or my Remmy 700P LTR has a 20 inch barrel to make it more rigid. Didn't know if any other reasons existed.
Old March 29, 2011, 08:00 AM   #14
GaryM&P

"Any particular reason you wouldn't recommend CMMG? I'm kindof leaning towards that one so I'd like to know if there's a good reason I shouldn't."

Rusty flash hider.
Crooked front sight base.
Old March 29, 2011, 09:05 AM   #15
Quentin2

Quote:
Ok guys, while I'm sure you both have very good points, let's not derail this thread please. Re-read the last sentence in my 1st post. I'm just looking for places to get a good deal on a barrel, not debate which one is or is not better.

I simply want a light, manueverable, carbine and I refuse to pay the feds extra $ just to put my gun on a "list", that's it.
Not trying to derail but reading your last sentence above, have you considered a 16" lightweight profile midlength? This gives you exactly what you stated and the overall length increases only 1.1" when it's all said and done. No doubt you'll save $45 or more on a high cost muzzle device and pinning plus you'll be able to make changes easier with a removable MD. Maybe it'll be easier to find a BCM or DD at a comparable price, too.

I recently bought a DD 16" LW midlength and it compares very well balance-wise to a buddy's 14.5" M4 profile AR.
Old March 29, 2011, 09:16 AM   #16
goodspeed(TPF)

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ver&groupid=55

Spikes Tactical 14.5" Lightweight 5.56/.223 Upper Receiver

FREE Shipping on this item in the 48 contiguous States!

Spike's Tactical Lightweight .223/5.56x45 caliber Complete Upper Receiver assemblies for AR15/M16 type Rifles. These rifles feature a 14.5" Light Weight barrel with permanently attached Vortex Flash Hider for 16" total length. Perfect for a super light weight build! This is a COMPLETE Upper receiver assembly, everything except a rear sight, and includes Spike's Tactical Tungsten filled ST-T2 heavy recoil buffer and Magpul MOE heat shield lined handguard.

XSTU5050MLS $539.95

Looks to be priced fairly.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old March 29, 2011, 10:08 AM   #17
Quentin2

Nice find on the Spikes upper!
Old March 29, 2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Technosavant

I have some CMMG parts; they're good quality.

As for a lower priced 14.5" barrel only, a lot of the ones out there don't have the pinned on flash hider already installed. PK Firearms has a Bushmaster barrel that meets your desires for $255ish (that would include the delta ring, handguards, etc... you can delete those to save $35).