The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2011, 08:08 PM   #1
maximumpenetration

Handloading 460 S&W

Guys,

I have recently started reloading for my 460V and I have a question. With my 3 carbide die set from RCBS, I got 2 seater plugs. I put the plug in that is flat and wide and looks like it is for the flat nose performance cast lead bullets. Thing is, when I seat the bullet, I end up cutting into the top of the lead bullets and leave a mark where I mash out the edges a bit. The first attempt I realized I hadn't expanded the brass far enough, but when I went for another round I expanded it further and the bullet went in fairly easily but left a mash out mark on the top of the bullet. Does anybody have a remedy for this?
Old March 25, 2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If you could post a photo, that would help.

You're saying the nose was upset and mushroomed by the seater? Sounds like it's going in way too hard. Or, are you maybe talking about something at the case mouth, in which case you may be over-crimping and may need to back the die body out a little to lighten up the crimp and to turn the separate seater plug stem in further so you still get the same bullet length.

Did you try putting both plugs over the nose of your bullet to see which one felt like a better fit?
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 26, 2011, 08:02 AM   #3
jeepster11

i have never

had that issue as my lee dies only came with one seater. but i could imagine that the lead bullets may be a little too soft. also i would try the other seater and see what happends.
Old March 26, 2011, 10:52 AM   #4
buck460XVR

Are you seating and crimping in one step? Is it a heavy for caliber lead bullet(long and seats deep into case)? I seat and crimp my .460 reloads in two steps. First, because of the long case and the heavy crimp required, doing it in one step sometimes will buckle the cases....or deform the bullet tip, especially when using a bullet that seats deep into the case. Secondly, doing it in two steps gives me a more consistent crimp. Other than that, it may be that your seating plug just does not match your bullet profile. Odds are the slight deformation will not affect accuracy or performance. Some folks have custom seating plugs made and some either modify their own by grinding or by reshaping the plug with hot glue. I would not permanently modify the seating plug, nor have a custom one made unless I was sure I was happy with the bullets performance first.
Old March 26, 2011, 03:21 PM   #5
maximumpenetration

I am using a Redding Profile Crimp die in a totally separate step. I took a couple pictures.

By bergnp at 2011-03-26

By bergnp at 2011-03-26

The one picture shows a new bullets untouched, and the other one is seated and crimped. It just leaves a nasty little damaged rim around the bullet head.
Old March 26, 2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Photos aren't quit sharp enough to tell, but it looks to me like the meplat on that bullet is too wide for the seater plug recess, so the edge of the plug is doing the seating by pushing against the outer edge of the bullet. You need a custom seater plug for it. Call RCBS and send them a bullet and I'm sure they can make you one for it. I don't know what they'll charge.

Another approach is to get a spare plug like the one you have and run a chamfer tool into it with a drill press until the opening is wider than the bullet meplat. Wax up a bullet with Johnson's paste wax, fill the chamferred hole with JB Weld or PC7 or some other thick, steel-filled, slow-setting epoxy. Chuck the seater plug and stem into a drill press for straightness and press it down onto the waxed bullet. Lock it in place, wipe off the excess epoxy that squired out and let it sit until the epoxy has set. Raise the drill press quill and wiggle the bullet free. You can still shoot that bullet, btw.

Despite the uglies, I think you'll find that even if you don't fix all that up, the bullets still shoot fine. A bit of nose distortion has only very minor effect on accuracy. It's base distortion that causes big accuracy problems-.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 26, 2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Edward429451

I have pretty good luck in this situation by using a good ol wadcutter plug. A totally flat seater plug is about as universal as it gets and prolly cheaper than a custom plug.
Old March 26, 2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Just fill the seater plug level with the epoxy and let it set up. Set it on a fishtank pump to vibrate it level and get the air out, before it sets, and voila, your flat seater. But I think I'd want to add a Lyman M type multi-expander into the mix then, in order to be sure the bullets started in straight when they have nothing to align the ogive at the top.
NRA Benefactor Member