The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 19, 2011, 04:55 PM   #1
MrDontPlay

sig mosquito range report

I picked up a sig mosquito the other day. I got it because I wanted a pistol that was cheaper to shoot than my sp101 and SR40. Me and my cousin took it to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through it, mostly mini-mags, some federal bulk and 10 CCI stingers. I've read mixed reviews about this gun but decided to get it anyway. I figured if it's not 100% reliable it's ok because it's for fun, not SD. It works well with all three types of ammo we put through it. I Rapid fired probably 100 of the rounds trying to get it to jam. I had a few FTFs and a couple FTEs but these were after it was good and dirty from an hour or so of shooting. CCI mini-mags work the best in this gun and thats what sig recommends but dont be afraid to feed it some cheaper ammo. The gun feels great in my hand, if they had a 9mm made on this frame I would buy it today.

My main complaint with this gun is that the mag is only 10 rounds, and it only came with one. New mags for it are pretty expensive so I'll probably just use the one I have for now.

I'd recommend this gun to anyone looking for an affordable pistol that is cheap to shoot and has the look of a bigger gun.

Old March 19, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
warpig602

Looks like Sig messed up and made one that worked I had one until I bought a 22lr upper for my 226. It was so so in the reliability dept. It was very ammo specific. Fun little plinker though.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
Noreaster

Friend of mine just got one. Took it to the range and it wouldn't work, (think he was shooting 40 grain lead round nose target stuff.) Very disappointed. Then we tried different ammo and it worked great. Everyone was shooting it by the end of the range session and no one wanted to give it up.
Old March 19, 2011, 06:35 PM   #4
AK103K

"Target" ammo wont cycle in my Mosquito or my P22, basically making them manually operated.

For the most part though, ammo like Winchester Super X runs fine in both, and with the lighter spring in the Mosquito, which is what came installed on mine.

I think a lot of the problem is failure to read the manuals.

The DA trigger on the Mosquito takes a little getting used to, as it doesnt feel like a SIG DA trigger, but once you get used to it, its still very shootable.

Many, if not most of the people I used to shoot a lot with have one or the other, or both, and I cant remember anyone complaining or having any real troubles with them. Both seem to be a favorite to pick on here on the web though.

At this point, I have a lot of rounds through both of mine, and no troubles. Both are fun little guns too.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:23 PM   #5
t45

Mine cycles just fine with CCI mini mags. I see no reason to shoot anything else.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:43 PM   #6
skywag

The Mosquito is the ONLY gun I've ever traded back to the dealer. Jammed frequently on any ammo and was way inaccurate.

And this from a confirmed Sig lover!
Old March 25, 2011, 12:59 AM   #7
skidder

Sweet gun with the right ammo!

I've had mine for about two years now, and federal bulk ammo from WalMart will jam 9 out of 10 times (the good one being the first round ). CCI mini mags are flawless but they cost alot more. Here are some photos with my laser sight. The gun has a feel of a 9mm and was surprisingly accurate. The laser sight is a blast on a cloudy day, you just won't miss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SigBed.JPG (197.0 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg SigCase.JPG (132.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg SigDesk.JPG (123.1 KB, 163 views)
Old March 25, 2011, 10:18 AM   #8
EdInk

In all fairness, I have had problems with Federal Bulk Pack ammo reliability in other guns. I don't own a mosquito though. I read TOO MANY negative stories about them.

I take everything I read on the Internet with a grain of salt AND know that unhappy people are alot more vocal than happy people too. However, even in a positive review like the OP there are mentions of SEVERAL problems with it.

I'm glad you like it and hope you have alot of fun.

Personally, I still recommend some variant of Ruger MK pistols to anyone wanting a semiauto .22 pistol. The GSG 1911 .22 seems nice to if you want something a little different. (If they are half as good as the GSG5 then they should dominate the .22lr 1911 lookalike market.)
Old March 25, 2011, 08:59 PM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

I suggest if you get by Wal-Mart sometime, see if they have any Federal Auto Match. They come in a box of 325 rounds. They are cheaper to shoot then Mini-mags are and seem to be great for plinking in the Mosquito. You will need to use the light spring with that ammo. The light spring is the longer one with the lighter wire coils.

Mosquitoes are not target pistols. They are fun to shoot in my opinion.
Old March 25, 2011, 09:07 PM   #10
MrDontPlay

Quote:
I suggest if you get by Wal-Mart sometime, see if they have any Federal Auto Match. They come in a box of 325 rounds. They are cheaper to shoot then Mini-mags are and seem to be great for plinking in the Mosquito. You will need to use the light spring with that ammo. The light spring is the longer one with the lighter wire coils.

Mosquitoes are not target pistols. They are fun to shoot in my opinion.
these are the federal rounds I used. They worked ok but CCIs worked better. I used the same spring for every type I shot. This gun was not 100% reliable, but it was 99% reliable and it's not for SD anyway. It doesn't like being dirty but it takes a lot to get it dirty.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:31 AM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

I agree the Mini-mags so work better in most Mosquitoes. When shooting several hundred rounds at a time there is a noticeable price difference. I do keep plenty of both on hand. Some time back I put together a suggestion of things to do for different problems the older Mosquitoes had. It also pertains to some of the newer ones too. If you car to take a look, here is a link:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=386450
Old March 26, 2011, 09:40 AM   #12
MrDontPlay

I think you may have posted in my mosquito thread on RFC also now that I think about it
Old March 26, 2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Chettt

How did Bill Ruger design a .22 pistol that will shoot any ammo, that is more accurate than the person holding it, that came in at a lower price than the High Standards, Colts of the day and that 50 years later is still the one to beat. Amazing!
Old March 26, 2011, 09:59 AM   #14
AK103K

I had a couple of Rugers over the years. They didnt necessarily feed "any" ammo, nor were they accurate with "any" ammo. The also got grumpy like most all the rest when they got dirty.

They were cheaper than my High Standards, Colts, Brownings, and S&W's, but then again, if you ever compared them to any of the above, or shot them, you'd know why.

The Rugers are made for people who like puzzles, and a handful of Qualudes with a couple of bourbon chasers to solve them.
Old March 26, 2011, 02:19 PM   #15
winkytink

Quote:
Chettt - How did Bill Ruger design a .22 pistol that will shoot any ammo, that is more accurate than the person holding it, that came in at a lower price than the High Standards, Colts of the day and that 50 years later is still the one to beat. Amazing!
Chettt, don't know how much truth is in the tale, but it's said that Bill Ruger based his pistol on a Japanese Nambu that he got from a vet returning from WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nambu_pistol