The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
RyanJ

Power trimmer: Dillon or RCBS

NO MORE HAND TRIMMING!!! I can't take it anymore. So I am asking for your opinions on using the Dillon or the RCBS power trimmers. I only load 308 and 223 for the rifle, both on an RCBS Rock Chucker with the Piggyback 2 Progressive ontop of it.
I like the fact that the Dillon is on the press, but with all the prep work for rife cases, it really doesn't make it any faster for me to have it on the press. I've read mixed reviews for the RCBS, and also read that the 3 way cutter is a MUST. Thanks for the help. Ryan

Remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Old March 23, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2
PaulTX

I've not used the RCBS trimmer but have tried Lee and Possum Hollow. I still use the Lee for the low volume stuff, but for 5.56mm I use the Dillon mounted on a Loadmaster. In the first station I have the resize/deprime die and in the 3rd station the Dillon trimmer and trim die. I use a vacuum to remove all the trimmings. I think it is hard to beat - handling the brass once for two case prep actions.
Old March 23, 2011, 10:23 PM   #3
rottieman33

I have the RCBS trimmer with 3 way cutter for 308 and 223 and i love it. The 3 way cutter little tricky to set up, so use a junk shell but once you get it set your good to go
Old March 24, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
MADISON

Dillon or RCBS power trimmers

Please don't forget the Lyman powder trimmer.
It is not an add on it is self sustaining.
I have had good use of my Lyman Power Trimmer
for over 15 years.
Old March 24, 2011, 10:56 AM   #5
dmazur

The Dillon takes up quite a bit of space on a press, and I've seen toolheads with just the trimmer mounted it order to handle this.

You might check out the Giraud, especially if you are only dealing with two cartridge types. This power trimmer does an excellent job of trim & chamfer, contains the brass trimmings, and is really fast. You can get a separate head so you don't have to spend time adjusting the cutters.

Yes, it's expensive. IMO, it is worth it.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Edward429451

I have the RCBS power trimmer and have trimmed thousands of 223 & 308 on it. During hard use the handle mount stripped itself out but it was easily fixed to keep on going. In fairness it was probably my fault for not checkin tightness while doing large runs of 223.

It works great and the 3 way cutters are def worth the money. I don't know how it stacks up against other brands as this is the only brand of power trimmer that I have ever used.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:47 PM   #7
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
I use the Dillon with 7.62 and the 5.56 Carbide rifle dies.
I just got done doing 6,000 5.56 tonight, and have another
batch to do the day after tomorrow.
Goes real quick.

I do have a Giraud that I use for other stuff but I don't like it as well except on special I items.

As well i do have a powered RCBS trimmer that is slow also.

For fast volume you can't go wrong with the Dillon.

Edward5759
Old March 25, 2011, 07:28 AM   #8
89blazin

The Lyman works great for me, and is still in great condition after 3 years and several thousand rounds.
Old March 25, 2011, 08:26 AM   #9
mineralman55

You might want to consider this one.
http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/

Here's a thread with pictures on it:

http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.co...howtopic=19703

It's called the WFT for world's fastest trimmer. I saw it in the latest issue of Handloader, called Little Crow to learn more about it and bought it. I've used it in both a hand-held drill and a lathe (my preferred power method.) It is fantastic, trimmed 500 .308 cases in less than two hours and that's with measuring every other case with my calipers, and running a Forster chamfer/deburring device on each case. BTW, it was unnecessary to debur or chamfer. The cuts were nice and clean, and case mouths were square. One thing to be careful of... you have to size the cases first (of course) and if you have any dents on the shoulder of the case, it will trim too long. Other than that, I'm sold on it.

Last edited by mineralman55; March 25, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old March 25, 2011, 02:24 PM   #10
medalguy

Dillon is by far the easiest and fastest with the exception of Giraud which is pretty pricey. I can size and trim 1,000 30-06 or 308 cases in about an hour and a half. I've never used anything that even approaches that speed. It works as fast as you can put the brass in the holder and run it up into the trimmer die.
Old March 25, 2011, 02:44 PM   #11
MOshooter65202

I have a RCBS power trimmer that I trim all my rifle brass on works great,all thought it could be a bit faster.
I am sure the Dillon trimmer would be nice,I reload on a Dillon 550 and a Dillon 450 imo Dillon builds some excellent reloading equip.
Old March 25, 2011, 04:54 PM   #12
RyanJ

Does the Dillon offer the same debur and chamfer as the RCBS with the 3 way?

Old March 25, 2011, 11:23 PM   #13
dmazur

Here's a link to the manual that describes the Dillon trimmer -

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/en...l-May-2007.pdf

It appears to have a single cutter, which is probably a carbide insert designed for a lathe tool.

The manual shows this single cutter arranged 90° to the axis of the case, for a square cut. No inside or outside chamfer.

I understand the Dillon trimmer is an excellent unit, and if you are careful (or especially if all you seat are boat-tail bullets), you may not have to do inside/outside chamfers.

I chose the Giraud because the setup time for caliber change appeared to be less than the Dillon and because all I wanted to do was trim & chamfer brass that had already been resized and reprimed.

Any powered trimmer is better than doing it by hand.
Old March 26, 2011, 07:53 PM   #14
RyanJ

I just wanted to thank you guys for the help. I managed to get the winning bid on EBay for an RCBS Pro Trimmer for $198.00 and it looks to be in excellent condition.
I may add the Dillon very soon as I'm thinking about adding another Dillon 650 just for my 5.56 ammo. So, thanks for the manual link.
I will be shooting mainly boat tails for the 5.56, not sure what I will be loading for the 308.
The Giraud looks like one hell of a unit, but I would need two of them for 5.56and 308 and that's a bit of money to spend.

Old March 27, 2011, 12:13 AM   #15
dmazur

Quote:
...but I would need two of them for 5.56and 308..
Nope. Giraud makes a quick-change cutter for $45 and the case holders are available in standard calibers for $30, so you can do additional calibers for $75.

From the Giraud manual -

Interchangeable Head Feature
All new trimmers (after August 2003) are furnished with the ability to swap out the cutting head as well the case holders. This allows the user to keep a dedicated case head for each caliber they choose to trim, thereby reducing or eliminating the need to adjust the cutting blade every time the caliber is changed.

I use one "power unit" to do both .243 and .30-06. The quick-change feature is really nice.

Last edited by dmazur; March 27, 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old March 27, 2011, 08:48 PM   #16
RyanJ

To Dmazur, I didn't read into it that much, maybe it was sticker shock. LOL That makes a difference, good to know. I just bought the RCBS, so if it takes a dump I'll look into the Giraud.
Thanks.