The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 20, 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
dumbhick

Another Rossi 461/462 story

i'm not going to lie to you fine people, I'm a relative newbie to the world of firearms. I've shot a bunch of /38s, 9mm's, .45's, etc, but I wouldn't call myself experienced.I recently bought a Rossi 461 .357 mag. blued, 2" barrel, you know the gun i'm sure. I got it for around $320 new, which was right in my price range. Figured it probably wouldn't be in the S&W or Ruger quality range, but it'd be a decent alternative on the cheap.

Today, I took it out to the range with a buddy of mine to try it out. Everything started out beautifully. Shot about 24 .38 +p rounds and 12 .357mag rounds. Then, when I loaded it up for more, I noticed a problem. After firing, the cylinder didn't want to rotate. After a little working, I got it to turn, fired again, same problem. So I eject the shells and put .38s back in to test it. Fires once no issue, fire again and i just hear click. open it up and i see the primer was struck, but not with enough force. pull the trigger again, the hammer sticks about halfway.

I showed it to the guys running the range and they suggested it could be a timing issue. They suggested i let the smith there take a look, but he's not in on sundays. So tomorrow I'm going to take it there and all, but I'm curious.

Any of you guys have problems like this? is it something pretty common? just dissapointing that my new gun isn't working right after less than 100 rounds. especially since there's no way i can afford anything else at this point.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:15 PM   #2
Webleymkv

Before you do anything else, I'd try giving the gun a good thorough cleaning. .38 Special ammunition can, in my experience, often be quite dirty especially if it's loaded with unjacketed soft lead bullets. If you get enough lead or powder fouling in the right place such as the front of the cylinder or under the extractor it can cause the cylinder to bind and hinder cycling of the action. When cleaning, pay particular attention to the area under the extractor as a small amount of dirt or unburnt powder there can cause the extractor not to seat fully into its recess and bind the cylinder. When ejecting spent cases, the barrel should be pointed straight up in order to avoid dirt getting in that area.

Also, because they are shorter, .38 Special cartridges will often leave carbon and lead deposits in areas of the chamber that would otherwise be occupied by .357 Magnum cases. If allowed to build up, these deposits can cause sticky extraction of .357 cases and, in extreme circumstances, cause .357 ammo not to seat fully into the chamber. If the .357's don't seat all the way into the chamber, the case head can drag against the recoil shield and cause the cylinder to bind. If you're going to shoot large amounts of .38 Special ammo (more than 50 rounds or so) you should thoroughly clean your revolver before switching to .357 Magnum ammo.

If a good cleaning doesn't work, I'd look into returning the gun to the manufacturer. Rossi is now owned by Taurus who offers a lifetime warranty on all their guns. Assuming you bought the revolver new rather than used, I'm almost certain that the warranty would cover the cost of repair although you'll probably have to pay shipping at least one way.
Old March 20, 2011, 04:50 PM   #3
huntinaz

Quote:
I'd look into returning the gun to the manufacturer. Rossi is now owned by Taurus who offers a lifetime warranty on all their guns. Assuming you bought the revolver new rather than used, I'm almost certain that the warranty would cover the cost of repair although you'll probably have to pay shipping at least one way.
That's my understanding as well, Taurus should honor the warranty if it's a new pistol. But who knows how long that will take, and hopefully it doesn't just break again. Good luck, save up for a Ruger or Smith next time. I know that's not what you want to hear right now, but I've learned from experience that it's good advice. I've had similar bad luck with both Taurus and Rossi revolvers, the Rossi I had did the same thing you describe. I won't waste my time on them anymore.
Old March 20, 2011, 10:21 PM   #4
8shot357

Check the firing pin on the trigger. It pivots, and there is a tiny spring in there that you can see.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:08 AM   #5
dumbhick

thanks for the replies you guys. If i need to, i'll send it back to the factory and all, but if i can get the local guys to fix it for me quickly i'd prefer that. i figured i'd see if you guys knew of any common problem that'd make this happen. more of a cruiousity post if anything. a friend of mine knows a ton about handguns and he's going to take a look at it soon, hopefully figure it out and fix it for me at the cost of a few beers.

or, hell, i do know a guy that wants this gun anyway..maybe i'll trade it for one of his s&w .38 snubs. we'll see what happens.

thanks again, i'll look into it more.
Old March 21, 2011, 02:33 PM   #6
dumbhick

a little update if any of you guys are interested.

i took my revolver to the gun smith like had been suggested by the range folks. Explained the issues i have, and he basically told me it looks like i got "one made on a friday afternoon". spotted all sorts of other things wrong with it, and advised me to just send it back to the factory, lifetime warranty and all. so it will be done, i'll let you know how that goes.

thanks again for your replies, i really do appreciate it.
Old March 22, 2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Straightshooter629

I'm just a little south of 3000 rounds through my 462 with no problems at all, and that includes varied .38 and .357 rounds.
Old March 22, 2011, 09:16 PM   #8
eqlzr

Sorry to hear you had trouble with your new gun. It happens. Fortunately, my Rossi 88 bargain snubby turned out to be a gem of a gun. I suspect yours will be too with a little patience. Hopefully someday you can afford to have more and somewhat higher priced firearms. But that doesn't mean little glitches like this won't happen. It's part of the game.
Old March 23, 2011, 02:17 PM   #9
microman

Hope everything works out ok with your revolver. I owned a 462 for a time and shot plenty of full house .357's through it and never had an issue.

There can always be a lemon though. Good Luck