The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2011, 11:53 PM   #1
Madball6

Taurus PT 92 carry condition?

I don't carry my Taurus 92 very often, but when i do it seems intuitive to carry locked and cocked, like a 1911, was just wondering if any other 92 owners carried this way or if you prefer safety off hammer down and just take that first shot DA?

Also, LONG TIME LURKER, first post.
Old March 31, 2011, 06:09 AM   #2
Leejack

Welcome to the forum.

Go for what feels comfortable to you. I wouldn't hesitate to carry it cocked and locked in the right holster. Some like decocked and locked, some like decocked with safety off.

Your holster and comfort level are key.
Old March 31, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Sevens

I bought my Taurus PT-99AF in 1994 right before the tool they elected President made it much more difficult to get a hi-cap 9mm. I've been very happy with the pistol and I truly believe given my experience with this one (and other Taurus PT 92/99 pistols) that these pistols are without a doubt the best product that Taurus builds.

Mine has eaten somewhere near 10,000 rounds in those years, most of which have been handloads.

With that said, the safety on my pistol when engaged is not as steady and secure in it's locked position as the typical proper working safety on a 1911. It doesn't throw as far and it doesn't seem to be "locked" in place as securely and it's got a long lever that would be easy to accidentally be bumped down and disengaged.

I love my Taurus PT-99AF and I would have no hesitation, none whatsoever to put this pistol in a defensive role. But I would never, not EVER, carry this particular one cocked and locked. I would carry it with a chambered round and the hammer down, to be fired with either a long double action pull or to be cocked with the thumb and fired single action.

It's been my experience that Taurus products may differ wildly from gun to gun so it might not surprise me if I had another PT-99AF that locked in "safe" more securely. Even so, it's a traditional DA/SA and that's how I'd carry it.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Mosin44az

I have a PT-99AF also, just bought a couple of months ago, and agree that the safety is not the most robust or confidence-inspiring.

I actually think the Taurus 92/99 DA trigger pull is pretty good, better than the Beretta 92. I would carry decocked, safety off. Unless your hands are truly tiny, the initial DA shot should be pretty much right on.

I would NOT carry SA with safety except in a holster that absolutely prevented unintended contact with the trigger.
Old April 1, 2011, 01:34 AM   #5
radom

I carry a PT92 on a horse at times cocked and locked but in a thumb snap holster so it is not a issue on what the safety decocker is doing.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:03 AM   #6
Kevinch

I have a PT 940; it is a similar gun in .40S&W & has the same type of safety.

When I carry it, it is carried cocked & locked. The ability to do so is one of the reasons I bought that pistol over others available.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old April 1, 2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Do what you are comfortable and confident with. Personally, I carry cocked and locked. Whatever you do, make sure you use a holster that was made for your firearm.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:20 AM   #8
pgdion

Hi Madball,
I forget the specific differences between the PT92 and the 92FS but I have the 92FS and a Cougar (which operates the same way). I carry the Cougar since it's smaller than the 92. I carry safety off, Hammer down so the first shot is DA. It's a long hard pull on DA so I feel plenty safe against AD. I just practice in DA mode as well as SA so I am used to that first pull if needed. In the case of the 92FS (actually 92S and up) you can't carry cocked and locked as the safety is also a decocker. I thought the PT92 was similar to the 92S but it sounds like they must be different in this area. Still I prefer safety off DA first pull to hammer cocked, safety on for two reasons. I feel the DA mode on the Beretta is safer than cocked and locked is, and there is no safety to mess with before having the gun ready. Just pull it out and it's ready.