The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 15, 2011, 06:34 PM   #1
duelist1954

Colt 2nd Generation returns from the gunsmith

This Winter I traded Roughshod for a 2nd Generation Colt. Unfortunately someone had refaced the rear of the cylinder and ruined the head spacing. I took it to the range and every cartridge case I'd fired was split open length-wise. On top of that it had an amature action job, and Roughshod's initials were engraved on the backstrap.

I sent it to Alan Harton's Single Action Service in Houston and he returned it to factory new condition. Alan has worked on several of my guns and I'd recommend him to anyone.

Shot it on Monday...here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoBjKfRFsDc
Old March 15, 2011, 07:20 PM   #2
junkman_01

Outstanding Mike. By golly, I think you are getting the hang of these videos.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Model-P

With straight-walled .45 Colt cases, that problem sounds more like bulged chambers than a headspace issue. Nice video. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 16, 2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Bill Akins

Ditto on what Model-P said about oversized chambers causing the split cases instead of headspace. Did your gunsmith fill you in on what the problem was causing the splits after he fixed your revolver? Also great video. Enjoyed it as much as your 1872 open top video. I wish my video camera was as good as yours. Mine comes out much more blurry and with distorted sound, but then again, mine's a cheap camera.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old March 16, 2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Hardcase

Great gun and great video! Needs more SMOKE!