The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2011, 10:40 PM   #1
dakotadudepaul

Long range .308 hunting load.

I am almost ready to take my .308 long range hunting rifle to the range. It is a Remington 700 pss with the 24" barrel 1:12 twist. I plan to do some long range, out to 1000, hunting with it. I plan to hunt game as big as Elk. I have been looking at burger vld bullets as an option but have read a few things that suggest they will not sit properly in the chamber. Any info on this or a good load recommendation?
Old March 13, 2011, 11:13 PM   #2
b money

I have the same exact rifle and I have hunted with it. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but because I've been there I have a little room to talk, first it is a HEAVEY rifle I hope you don't plan to walk up to many mountains with it. when I took mine out we were walking probably 1/2-3/4 of a mile each way to the stands through Wisconsin swamp and believe me although I love that gun I was cussing it every step and I am 20 years old. If you must take it with you put only a scope and a sling on it. Also 1000 yard shot at the range is very good but in the wild I would say next to impossible. what I mean by a good shot is one that (from a .308win) will be accurate enough and still carry enough energy to effectively be a "kill" shot on an elk at that great of a distance. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 308win elk hunting but not at 1000yards. that is too far for the intended game and intended caliber.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
dakotadudepaul

Thanks. I have hunted with the rifle for about 4 years and you are right, it is very heavy. Killed a Caribou in Alaska last year at 544 yards. I would agree it is not Elk medicine at 1000 but I just say that because some times when you talk, "long range" on here, the guys in ohio deer stands are thinking 200. I hunt in Wyoming where it is open and vast. Thanks for the comment!
Old March 13, 2011, 11:20 PM   #4
dakotadudepaul

What loads do you shoot out of yours?
Old March 13, 2011, 11:59 PM   #5
b money

544 is a nice shot! and yes if you were talking Midwest then 200yrds would be a long shot, but when you said elk, my mind was shifted out west, but even then I think my upper limit would be around 600yards but hey I've never done it so I couldn't say. I would love to hunt out there! as far as loads go I've been so busy with school and work that I haven't had time to do much else.:barf: So far I've only shot factory out of it with one of my first attempts using 150grn Remington's a 3 shot group was 1.33 @ 100yrds. I'm hoping to get that WAYYYY down with reloads and a lot of practice. I've got a few loaded now with 150grn FMJ's and 43.2grns of TAC but that's it. what loads have you had success with?
Old March 14, 2011, 12:03 AM   #6
cookhj

there are some guys on sniper's hide that have had some success with 208gr A-max's in a 1-12" barrel.

http://http://www.snipershide.com/fo...81#Post1299481
Old March 14, 2011, 12:06 AM   #7
dakotadudepaul

I have been using a hornady 168 gr btsp but i want to get a better bcf.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:36 AM   #8
Shoney

dakotadudepaul

What method do you use for field doping?
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 14, 2011, 12:54 AM   #9
b money

What kind of accuracy were you getting?
Old March 14, 2011, 08:23 AM   #10
dakotadudepaul

I have a wind meter. When I am shooting well, I have printed groups right at .75. The best that I ever shot with that load was .67 It is a great shooting load but I am concerned about the bullet being too light to buck wind at longer ranges and I am also about o have a turrett made for my scope so i want to have the best bc before I do that.
Old March 14, 2011, 11:59 AM   #11
GeauxTide

A 308W, shooting a 165gr Nosler Accubond at 2800fps, fired at 5000ft, with a 10mph crosswind, zeroed at 300yds, will have the following trajectory at 1000 yards:

-271.26" drop, 74.8" of drift, 1460fps, 781ft-lbs. Provided you can place all shots in 8", that is not enough power.
Old March 14, 2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Rifleman1776

A long range hunting load in a .308 is unsportsmanlike conduct and will result in wounded game.
Never less than a 30-06 and more better a .300 mag.
Keep that rifle on the range.
Old March 14, 2011, 02:09 PM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
I hunt in Wyoming where it is open and vast.
I hunt in Wyoming where its open and vast also, I've never seen the need to shoot at elk or any other big game animal over 300 yards.

Quote:
I have been using a hornady 168 gr btsp
I have fired a heck of a lot of 1000 yards matches during the last 35 years or so. 168s out of a 308 are not real stable at that range. They have a tendency to keyhole among other things.

Someone mentioned using a similar bullet at 1000 yards and having a drift of about 78 inches at 1000 with a 10 mph wind. I'll buy that, its pretty close. You said you use a wind meter, find, that tells you the velocity of the wind where you are standing, but may or may not have any relation to what the wind is at 1000 yards. I've hunted the mountains of Wyoming quite a bit, I know that wind goes every which way. Not many of us can tell the difference of, lets say 3 MPH at 1000 yards. Using the same information as above, 3 miles would mean a 23.4 error. A 23.4 error on a 1000 yard target would mean a 7 instead of a X, the lost of 3 points. 23.4 error while hunting could mean a wounded lost animal running off to die a painful death.

My advise, for what its worth, use what you have and STALK.

Edited to add:

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but over the years I've run across a lot of wounded or dead animals that were wounded and left to die. An elk is a strong animnal. With a good lung killing lung shot they've been known to run several hundred yards and further. Shooting from one ridge to another leaves a lot of rough country to cover just to get to where the animal was when hit, then comes the stalking. When hit, its been my experence that elk head for some pretty ruff terratory. We're talking a lot of time here. If you don't start out at the crack of dawn, its gonna be dark before you finish your tracking. Wyoming mountains are no place to be stumbling around in the dark. People tend to just give up with night falls.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Last edited by kraigwy; March 14, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old March 14, 2011, 03:23 PM   #14
grubbylabs

Eastman's published a story a year or two ago about an elk that live with an arrow poking though its lungs. The first year this couple hunted the unit the husband shot the animal and they spent several days looking for it to no avail. the next season the shooters wife shot the same elk and found his BH in one of its lung of the far side from where he shot it. It takes a tough critter to live though a hole in a lung let alone a hole in each lung. While elk are often not as bullet proof as many make them out to be, they are a big critter with a strong will to see tomorrow.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)

Last edited by grubbylabs; March 14, 2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Old March 14, 2011, 03:46 PM   #15
M.O.A.

try berger match hunting VLD 185 or 190gn they will most likely have the best bc
Old March 14, 2011, 04:53 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Buy Winchester brass and sort out the best ones with a ball-end micrometer or a Neco or RCBS case gauge for most uniform neck thickness. Winchester is lighter and has a little more powder capacity than the others. Their semi-balloon head case was designed for the 1992 Palma match (1000 yard) ammunition originally, and that's why they went for maximum capacity.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 14, 2011, 05:40 PM   #17
TATER

175-185 Bergers are going to be your best bet.
But, you will Probably end up having to single feed rounds.

Run-out Can all so be a pain in the butt that you may have to address.

I would make sure that you can make speed and love the load
before I ordered the turret though..
Old March 14, 2011, 09:41 PM   #18
dakotadudepaul

Any powder recommendation if i go with the berger vld?
Old March 14, 2011, 10:00 PM   #19
M.O.A.

the fastest that shoots accurite i like varget but its not the fastest
Old March 15, 2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Hydrostatic Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotadudepaul View Post
Any powder recommendation if i go with the berger vld?
Varget is awesome for accuracy and consistency in my 24" rem 700.
45.1 g pushing a 168g bullet at 2714fps.
If you can spring for it Lapua brass IS worth it!
Old March 15, 2011, 08:56 AM   #21
5R milspec

try R17 with the 180 and up bullets.as said before the guys at snipershide are getting great results with a 208 and 210gn bullet with this powder.and even out of a 20" 1:12 barrel.
Old March 15, 2011, 02:50 PM   #22
FN in MT

I've dealt with wounded wildlife, many the result of the LR hunter for over twenty years. ANY game animal deserves as quick and as humane a death that we can give them.

Match bullets are not hunting bullets. They are not designed to expand on game animals.

An errant shot , blown out of the group on PAPER is dissapointing....but on game it can be tragic.

A LR shot on a wounded animal that may be lost is one thing. I've had to take a shot or two at LR to dispatch a wounded deer or elk several times over the years. NONE that I had wounded. Sometimes these Hail Mary shots can't be avoided.

But to start the hunt planning on a shot at extended range? I'm Sorry that is in my opinion simply unethical. Too many things that can go wrong, with the wounded animal paying the price in the end.

Relegate the LR shooting to PAPER or prairie dogs.

FN in MT
Old March 15, 2011, 02:59 PM   #23
M.O.A.

noone said anything about match bullets
Old March 15, 2011, 05:26 PM   #24
Unclenick
Staff

FN in MT,

Welcome to the forum.

This topic has come up and been debated fairly exhaustively in earlier threads. There seems to be no exact agreement possible on the definitions of long, medium, and short range, as the skills of the shooters and the quality of the rifles and the reach of the loads and the difficulty of the circumstances of the shot all vary. Long range for a beginner would have looked like short range to Carlos Hathcock. We can probably agree that everyone needs to know the limitations of himself and his equipment with an adequate margin of confidence not to be taking iffy shots.

Berger used to make and sell it's VLD's just as match bullets. That has changed, as they have turned out to work very effectively on game. They now offer some of them separately for hunting under their hunting bullet listings, the above mentioned ones included.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old March 15, 2011, 09:23 PM   #25
hk33ka1

We had a guy at camp that wounded a few deer that were not found on 4-500 yd shots with his .220 Swift. He reverted back a larger calibre and more reasonable shots for him and had much better success.