The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 13, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1
mellow_c

AK Draco SBR ?

Hello folks
I've really enjoyed shooting and collecting firearms over the years. I think my next purchase may be an AK Draco Pistol. The way I figure it, it's not too expensive to shoot, it's a new style of firearm I've never played around with, and it would compliment some of my other rifles nicely. Also they are pretty cheep, being around $400 out the door.
Someday I'd like to buy a Glock 21 sf, and get a silencer for it. But I wont ask about that right now. Right now I'd like to ask what it would take to turn an AK Draco Pistol into a Short barreled rifle...
I'm looking for information on everything from what fees, paper work, and waiting periods, are required here in the state of Colorado, to the actual mechanics of attaching a stock? I would hugely appreciate a full rundown if anyone feels like typing it out!

As far as a stock goes. I kind of like the idea of a standard wood stock. A folding stock of some sort would be neat, but I think I'd prefer a wood stock for a better cheek wield, and it's durability due to lack of moving parts that could loosen up over time.

I'm VERY interested in doing this. I may not do it all that soon. But I'd like to be getting the pistol it's self within a week or two. Who know's maybe I should get 2, one to keep as a pistol and turn the other into an SBR. I appreciate the help very much !

Last edited by mellow_c; March 13, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Ridge_Runner_5

Colorado itself is NFA friendly, but it can vary from county to county on whether the sheriff will sign off on it. I know here in Arapahoe, he refuses to. What county are you in?
Old March 14, 2011, 08:21 AM   #3
snake_plisken

if you can't get the CLEO sign off go the way of a nfa trust
Old March 14, 2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Joat

Quote:
to the actual mechanics of attaching a stock?
I can't address Co law, but as for attaching the stock...

The Draco uses a "pistol" rear trunnion. There are no provisions for attaching a fixed stock to it.
The trunnion is relatively simple to change out for a rifle one. Simply remove the rivets holding it in, drill holes for the rivets that hold the new trunnion in place, and rivet it in (welding up the original holes is purely cosmetic). Trunnions are available from multiple sources on the www.
For a folding stock, Ace, LTD makes an adapter that bolts to the rear of the pistol trunnion. Drill and tap 2 holes, screw it in place and away you go.

As always, have a completed and approved Form 1 in your possession prior to beginning any work to turn the Draco into an SBR. The hardest part of the conversion is waiting for the paperwork to be returned.

There are several discussions going on over on AR15.com about SBRing Dracos. A fairly complete overview can be found Here

Joat