The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 9, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Amin Parker

Ruger RedHawk Calibres

Hi all,

Its almost midnight and im thinking of my dream gun that is yet to be made. ie a Ruger RedHawk 8 shot 357 mag that will just be perfect for Bowling Pin Shooting.

If however they do not make it, do they currently manufacture the same revolver chambered in 45Colt with a possible 45acp conversion cylinder?

If such an animal exists i might buy it while i wait for them to build the 8 shot one day.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Rojo

I dont know if they still make it but a number of years back, a friend and I found 2 ruger stainless redhawk 45 LC 5 1/2" barrels and we bought them and had a good time shooting them. We have both tired of them and sold them since, but they were great guns in the right barrel length for fun shooting.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Rojo

I also had a Colt Anaconda in 45LC with a 4 barrel. Also a great gun.
Old March 9, 2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Andy Taylor

The Redhawk is available in .45 Colt. I Plan to have one machined by a gunsmith to accept moonclipped .45 ACP, and still be able to shoot .45 Colt. i know many have done this with .45 Colt S&Ws. I see no reason it could not also be done with a Redhawk.
Old March 9, 2011, 06:46 PM   #5

They did make a .357 version for a few years but it hasn't been made for many years and it was a six shot, not eight. The .45 Colt version is only made in the 4 inch currently but many of the longer barrel versions are out there and having them cut for moon clips is easily done and not overly expensive.
Old March 10, 2011, 01:54 PM   #6
The Great Mahoo

As others have mentioned, they do make the Redhawk in .45colt. I was going to pick one up a few years back w/ 4" barrel, but happened across a S&W 625 Moutain Gun which I snatched up instead. It doesn't handle loads as hot as what the Ruger can, which made a tough selling point in favor of the Redhawk, but the lighter weight and less-common finding of the Smith won out.

I had it cut for moons by Mark at Pinnacle. Top notch work that I'd highly recommend. If I ever got rid of the MG, I'd probably pick up a Redhawk to replace it.
Old March 10, 2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Smaug

Instead of waiting,

Why don't you have a gunsmith make one for you?

It doesn't seem like an item that would ever be in high enough demand that Ruger would build it, so you won't see it, otherwise.

If you need 8 shots of 357 Mag, you could get close with a long slide 1911 in 38 Super. I know, not a revolver any more, but it is something to think about.
Old March 10, 2011, 07:15 PM   #8
charleym3

I just had a Ruger 45LC cylinder machined for moon clips by TKCustom. Came in the mail today. Rounds were going down range as soon as I could get it put back together. My uber ESR gun is now complete.
Old March 11, 2011, 02:54 AM   #9
Amin Parker

Smaug,

We have 2 revolver events. One is 6 shots only with a forced reload on 8 pins. No speed loader. The other is 8 shots in revolver and speed loader is allowed.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.